The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #66,903 of 91,358
Hi guys,
Can I please ask for some advice on my next purchase ?

I'm looking for a complementary set to my SoundRhyme SR8, which is a very mid-centric set, that sounds fairly good with Classic Rock, but still lacks some impact and sub-bass extension IMO.
So, I'm looking for a set that would cover that with a nice DD (SR8 is an all-BA).

Which one of these would you guys recommend for rock/metal the most (my budget is $1500, so I'm considering used prices too):

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Maybe I should wait for more review on these ? (Can anyone that tried some of these share some thoughts please ? (Specially if you think they would be good for rock/metal)):
Campfire Audio Bonneville
Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Anything else I should consider ? (I don't want anything "balanced" or "neutral", I want a IEM that has a good and punch bass and of couse, not a completely recessed midrange).
I really do think the SR8 sounds absolutely fine with almost all other genres I listen to, I just want a bit more "fun" and "bite" for Rock and Metal.

(As I live in Brazil, I unfortunately have no way to try these IEMs so impressions and reviews are super important to me :sweat_smile: )
Thanks in advance !
I don't know the SR8 but own their DTE900, the Neon Pro and the Butastur. The first two mentioned should be more energetic than the SR8, the latter a tad more like the SR8.

Mention that as I also have the Singularity which I did not like.
Until today:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nightjar-singularity.969251/page-7#post-17776155
The Singularity might be a good complementary set to the SR8, but so might be the new toys you mentioned and some SoCal attendends already commented on....

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #66,904 of 91,358
I don't know the SR8 but own their DTE900, the Neon Pro and the Butastur. The first two mentioned should be more energetic than the SR8, the latter a tad more like the SR8.

Mention that as I also have the Singularity which I did not like.
Until today:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nightjar-singularity.969251/page-7#post-17776155
The Singularity might be a good complementary set to the SR8, but so might be the new toys you mentioned and some SoCal attendends already commented on....
Nightjar Singularity is a fantastic choice under $1,500/-

Definitely good bass with slam and puch with forwardish vocals. It has an intoxicating sound.

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #66,906 of 91,358
Just want to say a quick hi guys, Been catching up on the thread after a few weeks away. Been crazy busy and distracted with house renovations. Most of them are either finished or close to finishing now so hopefully I will have a bit more "me" time back in the man cave.

Happy listening.

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #66,908 of 91,358
Would love to know about this comparison too. My dealer is kind enough to let me borrow the bird but I'll have to wait before it arrives. Interested with UM AP but not willing to pay the full price 😂
I'm still waiting for my Raven, but I've been thinking to cancel it and get the bird instead. Already have Rn6 and Jewel, so I think I'll get a BA IEM than another DD hybrid.
Subtonic Storm??

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #66,909 of 91,358
Went over to Stars Picker to try the 2023 Annihilator, Z1R & Trifecta.

Here are my brief impressions:

Anni:

Treble is definitely it’s thing. Details for days. Little taps of cymbals & hi-hats are forefront, no strain at all when trying to listen out for them. Definitely prefer this version to the older versions. Gets a little sharp for me if there’s no bass in the part of the song and there’s only highs.

Mids are just neutral. Nothing special with them but good layering & transparency. No complaints here, works with the entire FR.

Bass is there when called upon. Again nothing special here and I feel that mids & Bass are at just the right amount relative to each other.

Trifecta:

Highs are not as forward as Anni. Can’t say if I enjoyed the highs on these or Anni more but it’s not as fatiguing as Anni.

Definitely preferred mids on Trifecta. Good balance and body when powered correctly. Did not have a proper DAP at the time when I demo’d them in Bangkok.

Bass is absolutely lovely on slower tracks. Just a huge endless pit of it and I get why it’s so loved here now. It sort of lingers a little and is slower than I am used to but does not muddy the mids at all. Bass on these sort of acts as a nice background for the other parts of the FR to do its thing.

Z1R:

Yeah I stopped after one track. Still do not like mids at all. Sounded like the artist decided to hold his nose and sing. Really weird nasally tone.

IMG_7946.jpeg
Stars Picker carries the Trifecta? Great! Will find a day to make a trip there to listen to it.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #66,910 of 91,358
Hi guys,
Can I please ask for some advice on my next purchase ?

I'm looking for a complementary set to my SoundRhyme SR8, which is a very mid-centric set, that sounds fairly good with Classic Rock, but still lacks some impact and sub-bass extension IMO.
So, I'm looking for a set that would cover that with a nice DD (SR8 is an all-BA).

Which one of these would you guys recommend for rock/metal the most (my budget is $1500, so I'm considering used prices too):

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Maybe I should wait for more review on these ? (Can anyone that tried some of these share some thoughts please ? (Specially if you think they would be good for rock/metal)):
Campfire Audio Bonneville
Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Anything else I should consider ? (I don't want anything "balanced" or "neutral", I want a IEM that has a good and punch bass and of couse, not a completely recessed midrange).
I really do think the SR8 sounds absolutely fine with almost all other genres I listen to, I just want a bit more "fun" and "bite" for Rock and Metal.

(As I live in Brazil, I unfortunately have no way to try these IEMs so impressions and reviews are super important to me :sweat_smile: )
Thanks in advance !
For metal you will not find anything better than the AuR Neon Pro. I you will have a lot cash to save.

It definitely has a lot more punch and bite than the SR8, it sounds much more energetic and fun. And seriously, nothing has yet been done that reproduces metal more faithfully.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #66,911 of 91,358
Having a lil more time to reflect, 2023 Anni is a special IEM. My fav of the 3 I tried today. Highs just cut through everything like butter. Hard to find any fault in them other than maybe being a little fatiguing cause you just want to listen to every little detail. Def my pick if I wanted a more analytical & neurtal/brightish set.

I want to go back and tip roll now to see if I can bring the harshness down just a wee bit.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #66,912 of 91,358
I would check out a used Empire Ears Legend X. I rate it just a little better for rock/metal than Tia Trio although Trio is very good at both. :right_facing_fist::relieved:
I could even add the CFA Atlas his preferences as well. Atlas is quite good for rock and metal. Pretty good V-Shaped tuning, but if you put the Atlas on a tube amp you get more balance with fuller and more lush vocals. 🤝

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #66,914 of 91,358
Will submit an appeal and also call them once they start operating again. I have all the evidence in the world... Just need a human to look at it...
Call Paypal and get a human. When something similar happened to me, I was able to get the cancelled dispute reinstated and won the case. The bottom line is that buyers should always use a credit card to make Goods and Services purchases on Paypal. American Express has the best customer service, IMHO, so I recommend using them. In my case, I won with Paypal and with Amex so for a short time, I got refunded twice.

How do I speak to a live person on PayPal?

Yes, PayPal offers live support in various ways to users. You can use the live chat functionality on the site or dial their customer service phone number, which is 1-505-384-7594 Another number is 1-505-384-7594. Also, getting live support on their social media pages is also possible.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #66,915 of 91,358
Guys, I need a headset with binaural mics to record POVs. Any ideas? I found something called Roland 10EM but I have no idea if it's good or if there are any alternatives
The Roland CS-10EM don't have any wind protection. They are only usable indoors and I recommend not to use the integrated speakers in parallel or when really needed at a very low volume level. Otherwise you'll find your speakers output in the mic input. They are cheap, but tricky.

As alternatives there are the Soundman OKM microphones. You wear them in your ears and they have an okayish wind protection which can cope with a moderate breeze :)

On the expensive side there is the DPA 4560 Binaural headset. The mics are deeply inserted in your ears and provide the best sound of the mentioned mics here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back