The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #66,871 of 89,920
What do you think as a proper upgrade from IERZ1R then?
Grand Maestro 😁 I've always thought it was a Z1R v2.

+ Bigger bass

+ Much better midrange, none of that thin Z1R mids

+ Still great treble extension, GM lots of air

+ Comparable soundstage but IMO GM has a slight edge as it has more 3D staging to it despite the Z1R matching it for height and depth (the GM's end-to-end frequency extension gives the perception of a very grand stage).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #66,872 of 89,920
Hi guys,
Can I please ask for some advice on my next purchase ?

I'm looking for a complementary set to my SoundRhyme SR8, which is a very mid-centric set, that sounds fairly good with Classic Rock, but still lacks some impact and sub-bass extension IMO.
So, I'm looking for a set that would cover that with a nice DD (SR8 is an all-BA).

Which one of these would you guys recommend for rock/metal the most (my budget is $1500, so I'm considering used prices too):

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Maybe I should wait for more review on these ? (Can anyone that tried some of these share some thoughts please ? (Specially if you think they would be good for rock/metal)):
Campfire Audio Bonneville
Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Anything else I should consider ? (I don't want anything "balanced" or "neutral", I want a IEM that has a good and punch bass and of couse, not a completely recessed midrange).
I really do think the SR8 sounds absolutely fine with almost all other genres I listen to, I just want a bit more "fun" and "bite" for Rock and Metal.

(As I live in Brazil, I unfortunately have no way to try these IEMs so impressions and reviews are super important to me :sweat_smile: )
Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #66,873 of 89,920
Anyone have experience with PayPal disputes/claims? Recently been scammed of a purchase by a hacked account here on Head-Fi and unfortunately, PayPal claim does not have humans reviewing the claims.

The scammer provided a fake proof of delivery to the same suburb, and despite myself having provided an email from FedEx confirming that the item was not address to me or the written address, PayPal closes it in favor of seller for having proof of delivery. Clearly they don't have actual humans reviewing cases. If only a human operator can look at the case...

Do I appeal the claim and tell them to look at the evidence, or should I switch it to a new claim under "Item not as described"? Clearly it isn't the scammer's first time doing this, so what other PayPal guidelines can they bend in their favor if I was to switch?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #66,874 of 89,920
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a complementary set to my SoundRhyme SR8, which is a very mid-centric set, that sounds fairly good with Classic Rock, but still lacks some impact and sub-bass extension IMO.
So, I'm looking for a set that would cover that with a nice DD (SR8 is an all-BA).

Which one of these would you guys recommend for rock/metal the most (my budget is $1500, so I'm considering used prices too):

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Maybe I should wait for more review on these ? (Can anyone that tried some of these share some thoughts please ? (Specially if you think they would be good for rock/metal)):
Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Anything else I should consider ? (I don't want anything "balanced" or "neutral", I want a IEM that has a good and punch bass and of couse, not a completely recessed midrange).
I really do think the SR8 sounds absolutely fine with almost all other genres I listen to, I just want a bit more "fun" and "bite" for Rock and Metal.

(As I live in Brazil, I unfortunately have no way to try these IEMs so impressions and reviews are super important to me :sweat_smile: )

Following is a rec based on my own tastes relative to your stated budget of ~$1500 and aim to find something to provide a more meaty low end for classic rock.

You can scratch the Duality right away as it's nowhere near out yet and is rumoured to cost well north of $2k when it does come out.

Tia Trio is not a favorite of mine simply becasue I always found it too thin and bright on the whole.

Singularity is great but I wouldn't single it out for classic rock per se.

Bonneville would probably be my number one rec here simply because it does exactly what you're asking for and classic rock jives perfectly with CFA's house sound.

The E12 is excellent too but I don't have enough experience with it to say much beyond what can be gleaned from show impressions.

Just my $.02.

Anyone have experience with PayPal disputes/claims? Recently been scammed of a purchase by a hacked account here on Head-Fi and unfortunately, PayPal claim does not have humans reviewing the claims.

The scammer provided a fake proof of delivery to the same suburb, and despite myself having provided an email from FedEx confirming that the item was not address to me or the written address, PayPal closes it in favor of seller for having proof of delivery. Clearly they don't have actual humans reviewing cases.

Do I appeal the claim and tell them to look at the evidence, or should I switch it to a new claim under "Item not as described"? Clearly it isn't the scammer's first time doing this, so what other PayPal guidelines can they bend in their favor if I was to switch?

No idea mate but I hope you get it sorted.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #66,875 of 89,920
Hi guys,

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Thanks in advance !
Bonneville.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #66,876 of 89,920

The scammer provided a fake proof of delivery to the same suburb, and despite myself having provided an email from FedEx confirming that the item was not address to me or the written address, PayPal closes it in favor of seller for having proof of delivery. Clearly they don't have actual humans reviewing cases. If only a human operator can look at the case...

Appeal. PayPal will first process through bots but appeals are looked at by humans. I had a refund rejected then approved after an appeal before.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #66,877 of 89,920
Appeal. PayPal will first process through bots but appeals are looked at by humans. I had a refund rejected then approved after an appeal before.
Cheers.

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #66,879 of 89,920
Good luck!
Will submit an appeal and also call them once they start operating again. I have all the evidence in the world... Just need a human to look at it...

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #66,880 of 89,920
You can scratch the Duality right away as it's nowhere near out yet and is rumoured to cost well north of $2k when it does come out.
Its definitely going to be well north of $2k. I was emailing with Chang at nightjar for info about the singularity since I missed the initial round of orders. I had heard a bit about the duality, so I asked about it as well to see if it was worth waiting for. Anyways, the short of it is that he said he was expecting it to be "at least double the MSRP of the Singularity". So definitely definitely not going to be in that $1500 range.

Anyways, I have my singularity order in, and my bonneville order in. Ordered some stupidly expensive coreir tips as well, probably will buy some eletech tips soon. Now I wait.

One question for you singularity owners with the vanguard cable, the listing says OE multi plug, I assume that means the termination can be swapped and that it hopefully includes options there? I know I am the weird one out here that still uses 3.5, so I would be a little disappointed if I couldnt use the cable.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #66,881 of 89,920
Update : The Appeal option cannot be found in PayPal resolution center. Guess I need to somehow contact customer support? The customer support locally in Australia is atrocious...

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #66,882 of 89,920
Update : The Appeal option cannot be found in PayPal resolution center. Guess I need to somehow contact customer support? The customer support locally in Australia is atrocious...
What I found online:

Here’s how to appeal the decision of a case:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select Closed cases in the drop-down menu and find the claim you want to appeal.
  4. Click Appeal in the action column.
The Appeal button will only be available for 10 days after your case closes.

Oct 14, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #66,883 of 89,920
What I found online:

Here’s how to appeal the decision of a case:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select Closed cases in the drop-down menu and find the claim you want to appeal.
  4. Click Appeal in the action column.
The Appeal button will only be available for 10 days after your case closes.
Yeah this is what I'm saying doesn't work... There is no appeal button. Hopefully there is a way to speak to a human operator...

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #66,884 of 89,920
They suggest the opposite for sure, however I've always been highly suspicious of the notion that FR graphs are reliable means of gleaning anything but relatively superficial idea of what an IEM sounds like-- and this is a great case in point of that. I think @Piotr Michalak might be onto something when he says:

Thus maybe the issue is not a tonal one but disjointed timbre between the thick and meaty DD bass and thinner BA mids (and richer DD treble).

Either way I would take this situation to be a good lesson on why one should only put so much stock in an FR graph and trust their ears above all.

I think this is true of all IEMs honestly. The fetishization of FR curves and tendency to regard them as providing anything near a complete picture of how an IEM sounds is one of the most lamentable trends in this hobby right now...IMHO.
I have never looked at a graph to make a purchase decision. Disjointed Timbre is an interesting topic. Maybe the crossover tech at that time was not at par with what it is today...could that be a possibility?

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #66,885 of 89,920
Got my Cayin N30 LE out of its shipping box this morning and did the nice and easy prep. I remembered about Sony IER Z1R is supposed to scale up big time. Hooked Z1R up and GOOD GOD!!!where is the orchestra I am hearing??????
New Top Dawgs in my stable! Z1R has been breaking in since Wednesday, but Cayin was right out of the box.
Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back