The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 15, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #66,886 of 91,358
More bass, more low mid and less treble... I would love to know how AP compares to The Bird, because that's what it sounds like to me.
Would love to know about this comparison too. My dealer is kind enough to let me borrow the bird but I'll have to wait before it arrives. Interested with UM AP but not willing to pay the full price 😂
I'm still waiting for my Raven, but I've been thinking to cancel it and get the bird instead. Already have Rn6 and Jewel, so I think I'll get a BA IEM than another DD hybrid.

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #66,888 of 91,358
Just a quick DIY trick, if you struggle with too slippery Nozzles where the Tip just doesn't want to stay. (like on my Supermoon)
I found tiny rubber bands at a dentist, where they are used to be applied on braces for slow pulling.
In my case, they fit perfectly around the inside of the tip. The tip has way better grip now. Please use this trick on your own risk. Maybe in some weird scenario the tip falls off, the rubber band detaches itself and stays in the ear channel. I happily use it like this and find the worst case scenario unlikely to happen.
That picture has brought back a year’s worth of painful memories. Muscle memory made my teeth wince just now. :D

Its definitely going to be well north of $2k. I was emailing with Chang at nightjar for info about the singularity since I missed the initial round of orders. I had heard a bit about the duality, so I asked about it as well to see if it was worth waiting for. Anyways, the short of it is that he said he was expecting it to be "at least double the MSRP of the Singularity". So definitely definitely not going to be in that $1500 range.

Anyways, I have my singularity order in, and my bonneville order in. Ordered some stupidly expensive coreir tips as well, probably will buy some eletech tips soon. Now I wait.

One question for you singularity owners with the vanguard cable, the listing says OE multi plug, I assume that means the termination can be swapped and that it hopefully includes options there? I know I am the weird one out here that still uses 3.5, so I would be a little disappointed if I couldnt use the cable.
You’ll get 4.4mm, 3.5mm and 2.5mm in the box by default.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #66,890 of 91,358
Guys, I need a headset with binaural mics to record POVs. Any ideas? I found something called Roland 10EM but I have no idea if it's good or if there are any alternatives

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #66,891 of 91,358
Good evening everyone

I hope you are all well, Weekend question,

If you could only choose just 1 iem an All-rounder and Good or excellent in almost everything, what would you say....

Have a great weekend to everyone 💥👍
Aroma Thunder
An IEM that can give an extremely dynamic, balanced and analog sound, with an excellent fit. TOP

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #66,892 of 91,358
Went over to Stars Picker to try the 2023 Annihilator, Z1R & Trifecta.

Here are my brief impressions:

Anni:

Treble is definitely it’s thing. Details for days. Little taps of cymbals & hi-hats are forefront, no strain at all when trying to listen out for them. Definitely prefer this version to the older versions. Gets a little sharp for me if there’s no bass in the part of the song and there’s only highs.

Mids are just neutral. Nothing special with them but good layering & transparency. No complaints here, works with the entire FR.

Bass is there when called upon. Again nothing special here and I feel that mids & Bass are at just the right amount relative to each other.

Trifecta:

Highs are not as forward as Anni. Can’t say if I enjoyed the highs on these or Anni more but it’s not as fatiguing as Anni.

Definitely preferred mids on Trifecta. Good balance and body when powered correctly. Did not have a proper DAP at the time when I demo’d them in Bangkok.

Bass is absolutely lovely on slower tracks. Just a huge endless pit of it and I get why it’s so loved here now. It sort of lingers a little and is slower than I am used to but does not muddy the mids at all. Bass on these sort of acts as a nice background for the other parts of the FR to do its thing.

Z1R:

Yeah I stopped after one track. Still do not like mids at all. Sounded like the artist decided to hold his nose and sing. Really weird nasally tone.

IMG_7946.jpeg

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #66,893 of 91,358
I didn't enjoy the Singularity with Coreir tips. You might have a different experience though.
I’ve never tried Coreir tips. Are you quoting the right person here? :D

My personal favourite with the Singularity is the stock clear tips. I don’t know what they are, exactly, but they’re what give me the sound I heard from the prototype. The stock black tips made them sound hollow and thin to my ears. Maybe, it’s just my anatomy.

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #66,894 of 91,358
Its definitely going to be well north of $2k. I was emailing with Chang at nightjar for info about the singularity since I missed the initial round of orders. I had heard a bit about the duality, so I asked about it as well to see if it was worth waiting for. Anyways, the short of it is that he said he was expecting it to be "at least double the MSRP of the Singularity". So definitely definitely not going to be in that $1500 range.

Anyways, I have my singularity order in, and my bonneville order in. Ordered some stupidly expensive coreir tips as well, probably will buy some eletech tips soon. Now I wait.

One question for you singularity owners with the vanguard cable, the listing says OE multi plug, I assume that means the termination can be swapped and that it hopefully includes options there? I know I am the weird one out here that still uses 3.5, so I would be a little disappointed if I couldnt use the cable.
Yes, it comes with multiple plugs, including 3.5.

My personal favourite with the Singularity is the stock clear tips. I don’t know what they are, exactly, but they’re what give me the sound I heard from the prototype. The stock black tips made them sound hollow and thin to my ears. Maybe, it’s just my anatomy.
The Coreir tips work well when they fit. In the case of Singularity, they do fit with its stubby nozzles. And they do help Singularity not that it needs it.

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #66,895 of 91,358
Hi guys,
Can I please ask for some advice on my next purchase ?

I'm looking for a complementary set to my SoundRhyme SR8, which is a very mid-centric set, that sounds fairly good with Classic Rock, but still lacks some impact and sub-bass extension IMO.
So, I'm looking for a set that would cover that with a nice DD (SR8 is an all-BA).

Which one of these would you guys recommend for rock/metal the most (my budget is $1500, so I'm considering used prices too):

Nightjar Singularity
FATFreq Maestro SE
64 Audio Tia Trio

Maybe I should wait for more review on these ? (Can anyone that tried some of these share some thoughts please ? (Specially if you think they would be good for rock/metal)):
Campfire Audio Bonneville
Nightjar Duality
Fir Audio E12

Anything else I should consider ? (I don't want anything "balanced" or "neutral", I want a IEM that has a good and punch bass and of couse, not a completely recessed midrange).
I really do think the SR8 sounds absolutely fine with almost all other genres I listen to, I just want a bit more "fun" and "bite" for Rock and Metal.

(As I live in Brazil, I unfortunately have no way to try these IEMs so impressions and reviews are super important to me :sweat_smile: )
Thanks in advance !
I would check out a used Empire Ears Legend X. I rate it just a little better for rock/metal than Tia Trio although Trio is very good at both. :right_facing_fist::relieved:

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #66,896 of 91,358
Aroma Thunder
An IEM that can give an extremely dynamic, balanced and analog sound, with an excellent fit. TOP

Yes an excellent all rounder, another set I at times debate buying again!

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #66,897 of 91,358

Divinus Velvet. I am sorry if I quoted the wrong person, my bad.

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #66,898 of 91,358
Based on the graph I would expect a completely inoffensive sound, with neither bass or upper mids drawing too much attention. “Smooth and neutral” as you say. The 8k peak probably wouldn’t have much impact because that’s a very high sound with limited presence in most music I think.

So yeah, while graphs clearly don’t tell the full story, I find them very informative.
Most importantly Crinacle measures placing iems in the coupler to adjust for the 8kHz peak specifically. So it's just probably not there, it moves upwards the higher frequencies when you put it correctly in your ear.

I suppose it's the same reason why Twisters AP measurement is peaky and mine is not. I always try to simulate a real use scenario with my coupler placing the UIEM as deep as possible and CIEMs a bit further away (with the putty, not exactly at the microphone entrance but pull it a few mm away).

Oct 15, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #66,899 of 91,358
This AMA session by Google seems to indicate that Android 14 is ready for lossless USB Audio. Definitely useful for people who use a DAC with their phones. Wonder if this is also usable for DAPs. If it is I’m hoping the next generation DAPs all come with Android 14.

Not to mention the improved efficiency of Android 14 helping with battery life. And new ART helps reduce memory and CPU usage. Both helps with battery life and underpowered devices.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #66,900 of 91,358
I would check out a used Empire Ears Legend X. I rate it just a little better for rock/metal than Tia Trio although Trio is very good at both. :right_facing_fist::relieved:
Nightjar Singularity

I just tried the unknown clear tips, they are better than Azla Max...many thanks 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back