The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #63,901 of 90,709
I'd like to partially disagree. Yes, some say bass is not the star of the show with the Anni. But it depends on the track you are currently listening to and, of course, personal taste. The Annihilator has (a little) shift to mid bass, especially the 2021 version, not so much anymore the latest edition. It is a different bass presentation than that from a GM, for example, which is sub bass focussed.

I love both versions and sometimes I even prefer Annis bass over the Grand Maestros. Depends on the music, mood etc.

So I wouldn't say It's a sore spot but rather a special presentation. I disagree only partially because if you are looking for focussed sub bass emphasis like that of a Maestro or the latest bassy EE IEMs, the Annihilator might not be for you.

Still, if you get the chance, try it first before removing it from your list. Because even in the lower frequencies, the Annihilator brings loads of fun!

My short and less than ideal audition of both the OG Anni and the 2023 Anni confirmed for me that the bass on the 2023 was better (both in terms of quantity and quality). I believe that the 2023 will work really well in your stable for jazz, jazz vocals and "easier listening" genres.
speaking of anni23, what are your favorite cables with it ?

edit : my question is addressed to all anni23 owners if they’d care to chime in 🙏🏼

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #63,902 of 90,709
My Panasonic RQ-S15 landed - absolutely immaculate condition, basically unused even though it’s at least 30 years old. The accessories and instructions all still sealed. Delighted to be finally reunited after almost 30 years!

IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

Listening now with A5000 and sounds fantastic, certainly plenty of power!

IMG_7296.jpeg

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #63,903 of 90,709
Well said! Haters gonna hate and all that but what you have done (which cannot be denied) is created debate for a hobby which is significantly based on bias since we all hear things differently based on our very different backgrounds and upbringing.
I really have no desire to debate about whether Crin has contributed to the hobby. My goodness, of course he has. To me that is not at issue. What's at issue is the very sentiment you express in the sentence above and which is absolutely fundamental to my feelings about music, musical enjoyment, and audio gear. To me, it's funny (not haha) how a reviewer who routinely calls things "trash" is fine but if you don't like his dismissive, flippant, click-bait tone then you are the hater. It's funny (again not haha) how many reviewers present and reinforce some of the deepest biases in this business - if it doesn't measure well it can't be good, if it's expensive you're getting ripped off, if it's esoteric or new it's snake oil - but when someone actually likes something that doesn't fit these deeply ingrained biases, then they are suffering from bias "since we all hear things differently based on our very different hearing..." Those differences in hearing are not BIAS. They are data points. They are 100% valid subjective reactions that someone took the time to post based on their experience. So the philosophy you adhere to, whether you intended to or not with the above statement, is, in my experience, backwards. Bias is always in the "established" truths. Truth is with the iconoclasts and outliers who push the boundaries and eventually topple the bias.. $0.02 YMMV etc.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #63,904 of 90,709
My Panasonic RQ-S15 landed - absolutely immaculate condition, basically unused even though it’s at least 30 years old. The accessories and instructions all still sealed. Delighted to be finally reunited after almost 30 years!

IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg
Fantastic. Love seeing this alive and well after all these years. Makes me want to hunt down my Aiwa... But the wife and I agreed about 7 years ago that I should part with all my cassettes, so I wouldn't currently have anything to play on it. I lament that choice but they were just sitting around collecting dust for so long so I agreed... As with many of us, without outside influence, I could easily be featured on a special episode of Hoarders, Audio Edition.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #63,905 of 90,709

edit : my question is addressed to all anni23 owners if they’d care to chime in 🙏🏼
I’m a „cable sound atheist“ and I really like the stock cable. It’s just right in diameter (not too thin or thick, nor too heavy or too light), it looks nice and it doesn’t tangle, also no obvious microphonics. A really nice cable. I like it over all other stock cables I came across, e.g. Mentors Universe or Odins Stormbreaker, just to name a few.

Aug 31, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #63,906 of 90,709
I actually wanted to sell the Elysian 2023 again after a few hours 😅 . It's just too much Bass .And I don't think that's a question of listening taste ,…But after I have reduced the Bass with EQ and also a little in the highs , since then the Elysian plays really fantastic for me. Now with this musical performance I don't sell the Inear so quickly anymore. I think I've reached my goal for the time being when it comes to Inear.

But ,.. Listening to the Subtonic in real life would also be interesting 🙃
This is how the EQ calculations look .
( I tried to explore the approximate sonic orientation of the Storm to hear if the Subtonic is even suitable for me )

IMG_2023-08-31-154706.png
IMG_2023-08-31-160701.pngIMG_2023-08-31-160732.png

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #63,907 of 90,709

IMG_7276.jpeg

IMG_7279.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

IMG_7283.jpeg

IMG_7296.jpeg
What a beautiful thing 😍
I hope I can find my walkman CD somewhere in my parents home later. Hopefully it still works too 🤪

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #63,908 of 90,709
I actually wanted to sell the Elysian 2023 again after a few hours 😅 . It's just too much Bass .And I don't think that's a question of listening taste ,…But after I have reduced the Bass with EQ and also a little in the highs , since then the Elysian plays really fantastic for me. Now with this musical performance I don't sell the Inear so quickly anymore. I think I've reached my goal for the time being when it comes to Inear.

( I tried to explore the approximate sonic orientation of the Storm to hear if the Subtonic is even suitable for me )

This was my initial experience with Anni 23 as well - way too much mid-bass. I used to EQ it down but I think I got used to it somewhere along the way.

That said, I can see the elevated mid-bass being a dealbreaker for some people.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #63,909 of 90,709

Adding to your EQ adventure, I am still experimenting with EQ for the KSE-1200. I found a really good preset, that targets the setting of Oratory1990. I just toned down the ~3khz spike by -0,6db to get a less aggressive snare sound and now it feels like I am a good step closer to getting the perfect sound. (that totally exists) 😉😁
Screenshot_20230831-163141.png

*edit* but my own setting still has it's charm... Feels like it has better vocal presence and generally a better universal fit for all kinds of genres to me.
This is truly an unsolvable mystery 😅

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #63,910 of 90,709
This was my initial experience with Anni 23 as well - way too much mid-bass. I used to EQ it down but I think I got used to it somewhere along the way.

That said, I can see the elevated mid-bass being a dealbreaker for some people.
As well as the amazing treble, I thought both the mid & sub bass on Anni 2023 sounded really good. I was quite impressed because I actually thought it was going to be bass light.

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #63,911 of 90,709
As well as the amazing treble, I thought both the mid & sub bass on Anni 2023 sounded really good. I was quite impressed because I actually thought it was going to be bass light.

The '21 was a little bass light...it sounds like that problem has been remedied in the '23. I can't wait to spend some time with it. I imagine it will be divine through my LP6 :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #63,912 of 90,709
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #63,913 of 90,709

Yet to own the anni23 so have not rolled any cables yet!

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #63,914 of 90,709
I've had Anni 23 for a few months and my feelings today are different from my initial impressions on the bass.

I think the bass levels on the Anni 23 are pretty balanced with its treble so quantity-wise it's perfect. I think the bass is very good as well though as a nitpick I'll add that the bass could be more textured and have better-defined transient edges à la IER-Z1R or even Crimson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back