The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 31, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #63,916 of 90,409
I really have no desire to debate about whether Crin has contributed to the hobby. My goodness, of course he has. To me that is not at issue. What's at issue is the very sentiment you express in the sentence above and which is absolutely fundamental to my feelings about music, musical enjoyment, and audio gear. To me, it's funny (not haha) how a reviewer who routinely calls things "trash" is fine but if you don't like his dismissive, flippant, click-bait tone then you are the hater. It's funny (again not haha) how many reviewers present and reinforce some of the deepest biases in this business - if it doesn't measure well it can't be good, if it's expensive you're getting ripped off, if it's esoteric or new it's snake oil - but when someone actually likes something that doesn't fit these deeply ingrained biases, then they are suffering from bias "since we all hear things differently based on our very different hearing..." Those differences in hearing are not BIAS. They are data points. They are 100% valid subjective reactions that someone took the time to post based on their experience. So the philosophy you adhere to, whether you intended to or not with the above statement, is, in my experience, backwards. Bias is always in the "established" truths. Truth is with the iconoclasts and outliers who push the boundaries and eventually topple the bias.. $0.02 YMMV etc.
Thank you for your post. It is much appreciated and very well written and I agree completely. Perhaps I used the word "bias" wrongly and I stand corrected. It was not my intention to call out any subjective impression or view as "bias" in the sense that the view was prejudiced, but more in the sense of a subjective inclination i.e. that we all hear differently because of our different aural anatomies which perception is further coloured by our culture and upbringing. My apologies!

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #63,917 of 90,409
It's really nice to hear! Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you rediscovered F5. This is kind of (life) experiences I like our IEMs to be part of :)
Thank you, @piotrus-g for creating F5 (and for pricing it so reasonably)! I never have to rediscover it...it's my ciem and will always be with me!
I've long since given up on trying to make a "ranking list"...but here is the most recent version of a spreadsheet made to keep loose tabs on impressions of IEMs I've demoed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ifrc0nCKZ-b4hSBNzGMMZ-Nc3zAXHqio0nqslczmlNI/edit?usp=sharing
Okay, now here's a list I can sink my teeth into!!! Extremely helpful and info packed (when someone has sort of understood your preferences) with language that's clear!

Aug 31, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #63,918 of 90,409
I've long since given up on trying to make a "ranking list"...but here is the most recent version of a spreadsheet made to keep loose tabs on impressions of IEMs I've demoed.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ifrc0nCKZ-b4hSBNzGMMZ-Nc3zAXHqio0nqslczmlNI/edit?usp=sharing
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you for sharing this with the coolers. I think our tastes in music and SQ are similar, and regardless of that, you are consistent in your comments, which is a big help for me as I target what's next!

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #63,919 of 90,409
Wanted to chime in with some of the joy that my new ultra-portable rig has brought me. It revolves around the newly-acquired Cayin RU7. It is astounding to me what this little dongle can do. I have paired it with a GUCraftsman pure silver OTG lightning cable and my new Dunu Falcon Ultras with the stock cable and the S&S tips that came with it. The ensemble plays astonishingly well together - a strong DD bass fundamental with deep sub-bass rumble and textured mid-bass punch, with treble smoothed out and extended by the 1-bit DAC. Full bodied but subtle and detailed midrange. Nothing in your face but nothing timid either. The Ultra's already good soundstage, imaging and layering are made great by the dongle. And the tips - wow - they get a seal like nothing I have experienced and they allow a powerfull, full frequency response to come through while still preserving the delicacy, nuance and calm musicality of the Cayin. So you have the brighter smoothness of the silver OTG cable, the warmer but expansive and detailed sound of the dongle, and the dynamism and punch of the Ultras. A winning combo. And the best part is that it works equally well for EDM, house and downtempo, as it does for jazz, vocalists and indie. Soulful yet sweet. Just how I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1031.jpeg
    IMG_1031.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1033.jpeg
    IMG_1033.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #63,920 of 90,409

Thank you for sharing this. From the length of this list I can tell you have been doing this for a while 🤩💪
The information is to the point and enough to probably remind you how they where.

Makes me want to maintain a list like this as well.

I was wondering, do you use a default set of tracks for “testing”?

Aug 31, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #63,921 of 90,409
Thank you for your post. It is much appreciated and very well written and I agree completely. Perhaps I used the word "bias" wrongly and I stand corrected. It was not my intention to call out any subjective impression or view as "bias" in the sense that the view was prejudiced, but more in the sense of a subjective inclination i.e. that we all hear differently because of our different aural anatomies which perception is further coloured by our culture and upbringing. My apologies!
I see what you are saying. Thank you for the elaboration. And I agree!

Aug 31, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #63,922 of 90,409
I actually wanted to sell the Elysian 2023 again after a few hours 😅 . It's just too much Bass .And I don't think that's a question of listening taste ,…But after I have reduced the Bass with EQ and also a little in the highs , since then the Elysian plays really fantastic for me. Now with this musical performance I don't sell the Inear so quickly anymore. I think I've reached my goal for the time being when it comes to Inear.

But ,.. Listening to the Subtonic in real life would also be interesting 🙃
This is how the EQ calculations look .
( I tried to explore the approximate sonic orientation of the Storm to hear if the Subtonic is even suitable for me )

Yes we need a storm tour bad.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #63,923 of 90,409
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #63,924 of 90,409
Wanted to chime in with some of the joy that my new ultra-portable rig has brought me. It revolves around the newly-acquired Cayin RU7. It is astounding to me what this little dongle can do. I have paired it with a GUCraftsman pure silver OTG lightning cable and my new Dunu Falcon Ultras with the stock cable and the S&S tips that came with it. The ensemble plays astonishingly well together - a strong DD bass fundamental with deep sub-bass rumble and textured mid-bass punch, with treble smoothed out and extended by the 1-bit DAC. Full bodied but subtle and detailed midrange. Nothing in your face but nothing timid either. The Ultra's already good soundstage, imaging and layering are made great by the dongle. And the tips - wow - they get a seal like nothing I have experienced and they allow a powerfull, full frequency response to come through while still preserving the delicacy, nuance and calm musicality of the Cayin. So you have the brighter smoothness of the silver OTG cable, the warmer but expansive and detailed sound of the dongle, and the dynamism and punch of the Ultras. A winning combo. And the best part is that it works equally well for EDM, house and downtempo, as it does for jazz, vocalists and indie. Soulful yet sweet. Just how I like it.
Totally forgot to mention that this is using the gold nozzle on the Ultras, the bassier, warmer one. Really great full sound. Lost in this right now:

Attachments

• IMG_619E87B9714B-1.jpeg
    IMG_619E87B9714B-1.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_619E87B9714B-1.jpeg
    IMG_619E87B9714B-1.jpeg
    583.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #63,925 of 90,409
Totally forgot to mention that this is using the gold nozzle on the Ultras, the bassier, warmer one. Really great full sound. Lost in this right now:
Tonal preference really does vary a lot between people. To me, pairing the falcon with gold nozzle with a warm source is a no no. Too much “meat” in the lower mid. So if you simply say “this tuning is very great”, when I listen to the same set up, I would say “what are you talking about?” That’s why there is a need to read the whole impression

I use blue nozzle on my unit and pair with UTWS5. These Dunu IEMs present great value.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #63,926 of 90,409
This is incredibly helpful. Thank you for sharing this with the coolers. I think our tastes in music and SQ are similar, and regardless of that, you are consistent in your comments, which is a big help for me as I target what's next!
Agree wholeheartedly with those sentiments. Thanks for compiling that info @Rockwell75. Will be helpful in searching for my next IEM.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #63,928 of 90,409
Maestro SE impressions:

These require a good amount of power, also wish they were vented.
Much more V shaped than I'm used to which is not a bad thing if that's your flavor
Sub bass is everything you could ever want, mid bass is great as well but sub bass is the star and has more quantity here, very impactful
Mids/Vocal are too far back/airy for my liking
Has great decay both in drums and cymbals/high hats
Resolution isn't quite up to the best TOTL sets, separation/bit of bloat is the cause but also that ultra resolved texture isn't quite there(reminds me of how Orpheus smooth out the textures a bit), not to say it's bad because it isn't it's just not to the level of TOTL sets.
Stage tends towards a 3 dimensional circular presentation, some might say holographic. Dimensions are on the more intimate side as opposed to huge or skewed. It's proportional.
Images are not huge but not small likely due to stage size/proximity, don't sound stretched as a result and have good vertical height. It's more airy than I would have imagined and not just in the highs, all over because of this notes may sound a bit light/too airy to some people. It's not the dense thick midrange of the mentor at all.

Overall a very fun monitor, people who like a powerful sub bass, don't mind the V shaped sig will like it just don't expect the absolute pinnacle of resolution and stage properties(separation, dimensions).

LOL just popped in mini set, I like it much better. Vocals aren't as far back, there's more midbass. Still has that overall airy-ness, now having heard both sets I'd say that's their hallmark is the airy sound and of course the bass. It's really similar to the way Orpheus smooths over textures. Guitars have more grit and bite with the smaller set as well. Bit cleaner sound overall, little better separation. Midrange has more resolution likely due to being closer. More texture here. I think the mini is a steal and is technically superior to the Maestro SE whereas the SE will appeal to sub bass lovers who aren't heavily into high level technicals, YMMV.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #63,929 of 90,409
Grand Maestro impressions:

These require a good amount of power, also wish they were vented. Anyone considering these, make sure you get the vented version plus you'll be able to fine tune the sound with the modules which IMO is the best way to to tune any IEM, better than switches and likely gain a larger stage due to the vent with better separation and likely resolution since there will be more space between the various sounds.
Works with Rock, metal and electronic music
Much more V shaped than I'm used to which is not a bad thing if that's your flavor
Sub bass is everything you could ever want, mid bass is great as well but sub bass is the star and has more quantity here, very impactful
Mids/Vocal are too far back/airy for my liking
Has great decay both in drums and cymbals/high hats
Resolution isn't quite up to the best TOTL sets, separation/bit of bloat is the cause but also that ultra resolved texture isn't quite there(reminds me of how Orpheus smooth out the textures a bit), not to say it's bad because it isn't it's just not to the level of TOTL sets.
Stage tends towards a 3 dimensional circular presentation, some might say holographic. Dimensions are on the more intimate side as opposed to huge or skewed. It's proportional.
Images are not huge but not small likely due to stage size/proximity, don't sound stretched as a result and have good vertical height. It's more airy than I would have imagined and not just in the highs, all over because of this notes may sound a bit light/too airy to some people. It's not the dense thick midrange of the mentor at all.

Kinda wish they sent the vented version, I see the potential of this and think venting it and using modules could really make a big difference in some of the weaker technical aspects. Overall a very fun monitor, people who like a powerful sub bass, don't mind the V shaped sig will like it just don't expect the absolute pinnacle of resolution and stage properties(separation, dimensions) on the non-vented version at least.

LOL just popped in the other tour set, don't know which Fatfreq model these smaller ones are but I like it much better. Vocals aren't as far back, there's more midbass. Still has that overall airy-ness, now having heard both sets I'd say that's there hallmark and of course the bass. It's really similar to the way Orpheus smooths over textures. Guitars have more grit and bite with this set as well. Bit cleaner sound overall, little better separation. Midrange has more resolution likely due to being closer.

The Grand Maestro is vented (with an APEX-like module) and has a switch on the top of the IEM to change the sound signature. Sounds like you are talking about the Maestro SE, which is an entirely different IEM all together.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #63,930 of 90,409
The Grand Maestro is vented (with an APEX-like module) and has a switch on the top of the IEM to change the sound signature. Sounds like you are talking about the Maestro SE, which is an entirely different IEM all together.
Yup no switches on top, must be the SE will revise. Bummer why didn't they send their best on tour, that's the point! =P. I just assumed it was since manufacturers usually do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back