The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 27, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #63,632 of 91,343
Great photos! Do you use a DSLR + macro lens by any chance?

It's pretty easy to mistake these as macro - just on manual focus with correct positioning and a lens that can handle this kind of photography. This was shot on a mixture of 18 and 35.

Canon R6 x Sigma ART 18-35mm F1.8 is the set-up! Highly reccomend the sense, it's very cinematic and has a great color profile.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #63,634 of 91,343
Bass: xe6
Mids: rn6
Treble: Ragnar
Dap: N8ii/RS8

I’m adding my daps because honestly I think it’s important too since everyone is using a dap or dac and would be great to know with what exactly that ranking gets formed basically, but that’s just my opinion. Also since this is the watercooler thread some people might have a tsuranagi/mass kobo/aroma amps. Maybe state that as an big improvement in “x“-department as an increase or say a substantial change sonically. Might be eye opening for some of us too.

I'm kicking myself in the pants for not including a DAP question in our last community survey...will definitely remedy that next time. For this poll I wanted to keep things to a simple 1-2-3.

I haven’t been able to get much time with the rn6 and it’s my latest acquisition… been way too busy unfortunately. And I’m not really a mids guys anyways but from just a short listening it sounded very nice in that department… overall very nice bass too… I must admit though that I also like the treble of the xe6 too.
But Ragnar has a special place in my heart for that.

Rn6 is a great non-assuming "do everything IEM". A reference type sound (for me) with a soul.

I’m seeing many Trifectas in the bass department dominating this great fun poll. Would love to hear it since I’m such a Basshead lol. Thanks to this poll I’ll just silently add it to my „have to buy list“

I'm quite happy to see it getting this recognition. Trifecta single handedly raised the bar for bass quality and bass driven sound signatures imho...there's nothing out there quite like it.

Love the impressions of everyone here since there are many people giving their opinions. Collecting this data also would be great and packing it all up in a doc or something. If it’s not already been happening?

The first post on the first page of the thread has some links/results of past surveys.

Welcome to the cooler!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #63,635 of 91,343
Bass: Trifecta
Mids: Rn6
Treble: Elysian X

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #63,636 of 91,343
I was gonna type one out but it all says Z1R

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #63,637 of 91,343
(Sub)Bass: Ragnar
Mids: Phönix LE
Treble: Ragnar

DAP: SP3000

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #63,638 of 91,343
I'm quite happy to see it getting this recognition. Trifecta single handedly raised the bar for bass quality and bass driven sound signatures imho...there's nothing out there quite like it.
+1. Bet you didn't think I'd write Trifecta over Z1R for bass. In truth they're very different and I love both, but Trifecta has that wow factor for me right now. No contest when it comes to treble though 🤭

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #63,639 of 91,343
+1. Bet you didn't think I'd write Trifecta over Z1R for bass. In truth they're very different and I love both, but Trifecta has that wow factor for me right now. No contest when it comes to treble though 🤭

I'll take Trifecta's treble over Z1R's mids :wink:

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #63,640 of 91,343
I'll take Trifecta's treble over Z1R's mids :wink:
Haha, I'll call them a tie. They make a great complement to each other. Throw in Rn6 as a balanced reference alternative and you have an amazing 'trifecta' that covers all bases at the very highest level.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #63,641 of 91,343
Haha, I'll call them a tie. They make a great complement to each other. Throw in Rn6 as a balanced reference alternative and you have an amazing 'trifecta' that covers all bases at the very highest level.

Indeed...there would be not much left wanting with that trio. (Though I would be hankering for some VE or Oriolus mids.)

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #63,642 of 91,343
SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT! It is time to shake things up with my current line up. So I have listed in the classifieds....

Empire Ears Odin 4.4mm
TGXEar Sunniva 4.4mm
Aroma A100Tb amp and Power Station Pro

All of these are clickable in my signature. Deals to watercooler members :)

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #63,644 of 91,343
My Elysian Experience

One of the things I wanted to listen to at Canjam London was the new Elysian Diva. In my general search for IEMs I would walk circuits of the show floor looking for tables where I could sit and test gear. As I did my walk I would pass the Elysian table, and every time the seats were full, and the Diva, two of which I believe were there, were being used by fellow attendees.

On one particular walk, I noticed there was a spare seat at the Elysian table. Not in front of the Diva, as that was again busy, but in front of the Annihilator 2023. I made a beeline for the seat and with a big grin managed to sit down. So, the plan was afoot. Sit there patiently until the guy with the Diva goes to leave and then pounce on it. Claim the seat and the Diva. Great plan. But it didn’t look like the guy was moving any time soon. It’s ok though, I’m a patient guy and I can wait this out. While keeping my eyes on the prize, I realise I am sitting in front of the Annihilator 2023, and so to pass some time I thought I’d give it a try.

Now the Annihilator is not an IEM that has ever taken my fancy. When reading comments about it here, the subject is nearly always about the treble. As I’m a bit sensitive in this region I tend to stay away from treble IEMs, and the Annihilator is about as far away an IEM that I ever wanted to hear. So anyway, Lee sees that I am looking at the Annihilator and he asks me if I wanted to have a listen. I say yes and he passes them to me. As he does so I have a sneaky look to my right to see if the Diva is going to be free, but sadly it isn’t. I take the Annihilator from Lee and proceed to use the eartips that he has put on them. But I don’t get a good fit and the song that I have pressed play on feels thin and bright. Lee notices there’s an issue and asks if I want bigger tips. It’s ok I tell him as I have my trusty Sednaearfit light tips with me and I proceed to fit them. I then put the shells back in my ears. I think to myself that if the treble is too much or too high, I’ll simply pass the iems back to Lee. If nothing else, it will allow me to be close to the Diva until it is free. I press play on my test playlist on my SP3000 and get ready for the music to unfold on the Annihilator 2023. I braced myself for a wall of bright daggers, a tide of piercing treble, but my ears were not quite ready for what was about to unfold.

And this my friends is where the fabric of time and space as I knew it came to an abrupt stop. It felt like the whole hall and everyone in it simply froze. My ears were engulfed in a type of sound I had not heard before. I normally make listening notes on my iPhone as I listen to stuff, but I think I was just writing gibberish. The Annihilator 2023 was like nothing I had heard before. The mids were really good, the bass was really good, but the treble ability was off the chart. It was so captivating that I just kept listening. It felt like I went through my entire playlist twice. Possibly three times. In all honesty I had never heard a treble like this before, an IEM like this before. I’ve listened to a lot of TOTLs, and I’ve had a few wow moments, but this experience probably goes to the very top of the list. I think I’d lost track of time, but eventually I realise I need to re-join planet earth. Begrudgingly I take the IEMs out of my ears and go to pass them back. Lee looks at me and says, “What did you think?”. I’m lost for words, so I just look directly at him and manage to say ‘Brilliant’. He has a wry smile on his face, and he passes me his business card.

On the train home I couldn’t think of anything else other than my experience with the Annihilator 2023. I listened to a lot of great stuff that day, but that was my own personal highlight of Canjam London.

But… I know what you are thinking. Did I ever get to hear the Diva? :relaxed:

Would love to hear them as well, need a cooler tour.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #63,645 of 91,343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back