The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #63,601 of 91,342
Bass: Trifecta
Mids: Mason Fusang
Treble: Elysian X

I forgot about the Elysian X. As a whole package I think Ani is a better IEM but just in terms of treble X may (not withstanding new releases) still be the high water mark in terms of Elysian treble.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #63,602 of 91,342
Out of those I own:
Bass: IE900
Mids: Neon Pro
Treble: Butastur

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #63,604 of 91,342
Thank you for the opinion - there are so many “budget” cables it’s impossible to get proper feedback on many of them, even on the budget cables thread (and this one doesn’t even come within that price range).

Does anyone have any thoughts on the NiceHCK Greenmood? Or is it equally a waste of money?

Agree. Mine looked and felt cheap even without the chip, and imo took so much off the highs I’ve yet to find any use for it.

PSA: No one should ever pay list price for a NiceHCK cable - even when it isn’t on sale, there’s usually a big fat coupon that reduces it to almost sale price.

I don’t intend to tar all budget cables with the same brush though, so here’s one that turned out to be an unexpectedly enjoyable pairing with the Impact.

IMG_7366.jpeg

Xinhs 2-strand “silver palladium-plated”. Very clear and transparent in how it handles transients. Surprisingly resolving cable with a blacker background than anything else I’ve tried in its price range. I posted more impressions with the Impact here.

I used to think all Xinhs cables sounded the same - unexceptional - and maybe their budget ones still do, but I’m starting to realise that their slightly higher priced ones ($50-100) are rather decent.
I guess it is undeniable that a higher-end cable - when compared to the cheaper chi-fi stuff - is usually clearly more satisfying at least haptically / as far as hardware and plugs are concerned often also soundwise.

On the other hand I can only second @-rowan- in his judgement about the linked Xinhs silver-palladium cable. This cable - soundwise - plays way above it's price tag when on sale and matched various IEM I tried it with. Quite astounding given the relatively simple hardware/plugs used...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #63,605 of 91,342
Sunday Survey-- Let's play Bass, Mids and Treble

You get to choose 3 IEMs, one for bass, one for mids and one for treble.
Bass: IMR BC2023
Mids: AüR Audio Aurora
Treble: Sound Rhyme DTE900

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #63,609 of 91,342
Bass: Fir Audio Radon 6
Mids: Mentor v1 + MM
Highs: Fitear EST

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #63,610 of 91,342
Bass: Nightjar Duality if allowed, otherwise Empire Ears Raven if only production releases

Mids: FitEar MH334SR

Treble: Elysian Dio if allowed, otherwise Elysian Annihilator (either version)

For this poll anything you've heard that you've enjoyed. Will put you down for Duality and Dio when I tabulate later.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #63,611 of 91,342
Bass - IER-Z1R
Mids - IER-M7
Treble - IER-M9

This is an interesting submission. Interesting that you'd put M7 mids over M9, and M9 treble over that of the IER Z1R. I say this only because I found the Z1R treble to be world class. Were it not for the Elysian stuff Z1R would probably still stand in memory as the best I've heard. YMMV etc. etc.

I will limit myself to IEMs I have heard.
Bass: VE EXT
Mids: Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Highs: Shure KSE-1200 (with EQ)

Agreed EXT has great bass!

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #63,612 of 91,342
Bass: Maestro SE + RN6
Mids: Crimson + RN6
Highs: Odin, Helios

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back