The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 29, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #62,161 of 91,355
Tuning:
Trifecta: V-shaped with great amounts of bass
Perpetua: 'Neutral' with treble boost at 8k

Sound profile:
Lows: Trifecta>Perpetua. Trifecta has more slam and impact, while Perpetua is more reserved.
Mids: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua delivers vocals smooth and natural, among the bests in the market. The 8k peak offers more liveliness in sopranos. Trifecta is more soulful in this regard.
Highs: Perpetua=Trifecta. Both have lively highs.

Technicalities:
Details: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua has more macro-detail due to its 8k peak. Micro-details are similar.
Soundstage: Perpetua=Trifecta. Perpetua has more width, Trifecta has more depth.
Layering: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua has a slight edge in separation.
Dynamics: Trifecta>Perpetua.

Perpetua with Celeste cable:
Tuning and Sound profile:
Brightens up things in general. Mids are more bright than neutral, sounding more BA-like.

Technicalities:
Improved macro-details, improved airiness.
Thank you.....truly a very technical and very very valuable opinion you have. Almost certainly in my personal taste I would opt for Perpetua.

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #62,163 of 91,355
Seems like IEM's are all the rage. Any exciting news on the headphone front? Stuff you're looking forward to?
For me that would be: hearing more about the Final x8000, trying out a top-end electrostatic system, and hoping for the release of a new Susvara.
Have a nice weekend everyone!

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #62,164 of 91,355
Seems like IEM's are all the rage. Any exciting news on the headphone front? Stuff you're looking forward to?
For me that would be: hearing more about the Final x8000, trying out a top-end electrostatic system, and hoping for the release of a new Susvara.
Vision ears yet to be released offering and Empire Ears Raven (ofc 😏)

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #62,165 of 91,355
X8000 for me

Jul 29, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #62,166 of 91,355
I'll spend money on cables, since I grow my own Bud! :smile:

lmao

I received the Fir Audio kit from @Rockwell75 today by surprise. I’ve been very curious to hear the Rn6 and boy it is better than I imagined. This is about perfect for me and my tastes so far. There’s a pristine clarity that gives the music an effortless feeling.
I had mentioned to Jeff how I probably shouldn’t hear this as I had a feeling I was going to like it. Sucks that I can’t afford it but I will really enjoy my time with it..

**edit…. Very nice pairing with the N7. I’m on one of my standard lute albums and tone and timbre are excellent and the open airy sound is crisp and vibrant. Boy I really really like these iems.

Sorry I really wanted you to hear the Rn6 so I took the liberty :p

Tuning:
Trifecta: V-shaped with great amounts of bass
Perpetua: 'Neutral' with treble boost at 8k

Sound profile:
Lows: Trifecta>Perpetua. Trifecta has more slam and impact, while Perpetua is more reserved.
Mids: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua delivers vocals smooth and natural, among the bests in the market. The 8k peak offers more liveliness in sopranos. Trifecta is more soulful in this regard.
Highs: Perpetua=Trifecta. Both have lively highs.

Technicalities:
Details: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua has more macro-detail due to its 8k peak. Micro-details are similar.
Soundstage: Perpetua=Trifecta. Perpetua has more width, Trifecta has more depth.
Layering: Perpetua>Trifecta. Perpetua has a slight edge in separation.
Dynamics: Trifecta>Perpetua.

Perpetua with Celeste cable:
Tuning and Sound profile:
Brightens up things in general. Mids are more bright than neutral, sounding more BA-like.

Technicalities:
Improved macro-details, improved airiness.

Interesting analysis…I’ve never heard Perpetua but your description of Trifecta’s qualities resonates with me. The only question is staging…Trifectas stage is massive and deep and if Perpetua can really come within striking distance with only a single driver that’s quite something.

Seems like IEM's are all the rage.

In this thread always :)

Vision ears yet to be released offering and Empire Ears Raven (ofc 😏)

VEs next thing is what I’m saving my pennies for right now. If it’s based on their pink prototype we’re in for a treat.

In other news this thread has become the de facto hub of Singularity hype…love it.

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #62,168 of 91,355
I've been using Pi2aes with my Hugo2 via optical (noticeable improvement in SQ) and would like to compare the Pi2aes to my Macbook pro (intel 2019, 4x usb C ports) outputting optical. What sort of device do I need to connect the optical cable to my laptop?

Also has anyone tried the Brise Yatono shielded cable for USB?

https://briseaudio.com/en/collections/usb/products/accurate-usb

Was looking to get the USB-C to Micro B version.
Interesting. Hopefully not too stiff, otherwise the shorter distances could be a hassle. Also not clear if they would work as OTG cables? Anyone with any experience?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #62,173 of 91,355
This IEM has shot up to #1 on my review wishlist. Congrats to @Chang and the team!
As a DD or nothing "Guy", you of all people need to hear Singularity! Then tell us if we're right!
Thank you for keeping it alive. It's my morning check-in - starts the day out on a hopeful note...
Me, too, especially through difficult times, this little corner of head Fi is able to take my mind off those things and focus on music, and gear of course.
I feel you - was close to pull the trigger on a near 1k cable and just decided for the Singularity instead... Includes a quite expensive cable too btw (when bought alone) :)
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the IEM or its beautiful cable. Nightjar hit it out of the park with Singularity, and the initial 100 with that killer package make it, IMHO, the best priced TOTL iem available.
I wanted to know how Singularity stands in terms of detail and three-dimensionality. Thank you.
I have about 75 hours now on mine and the combination of iem/brain burn in has only improved the sonic capabilities of this single DD. Still shocked and hoping someone opens one up to reveal some secret BA packed in there!

The detail retrieval/resolution is very good, TOTL level to my ears. The stage is wide and holographic to me, reaching behind my head with some recordings, but overall, I'm finding it to be more out of head staging which I love.

This was one pre-buy, long wait, that I'm thrilled I got the chance to latch on to. It was better than I could have hoped, and it's staying in my collection for good, though if you're nice, I'll probably loan it out 🤣 Now waiting for @Chang and company to send me the bifrost cable to see what that does for my Singularity!

Congrats to all the Singularity owners, you know why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back