The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #61,891 of 89,333
In what ways do you like Phoenix better than The Bird? I would also be interested in a comparison to the Erl.
Mainly the fit but that's just personal to me. After that I hear the Phoenix to sound fuller in its overall presentation which I'm discovering more and more to be my preference. When i'm listening to something live or acoustic. an example would be Eva Cassidy acoustic version of time after time, both the Bird & Phonix sound sublime to me and I'd be happy listening to either one ( and often did lol) whereas if I was listening to something like Dire Straits Where do you think you're going? I much prefer the Phonix for its overall impact and fuller presentation. From memory I would say the Erl for me was closer to the Phonix in its presentation. I hear a bit more clarity or extension in the treble of the Phonix when compared to the Erl. This was very evident on The Eagles Hotel California live version. This was also a favourite of mine with the Bird. I particularly enjoyed hearing the clapping, whistles etc from the audience coming at me from all different directions and depths.

Im not great at explaining what I hear so I hope this helps

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #61,892 of 89,333
Got up at the beach, made coffee, then began to set up IEMs for break in. Connected Singularity to Apple computer via stock cable and RU6 playing Tidal playlists. Sounded OK, but needs breaking about 100 hours,
Next hooked up Penon 10th Anniversary to Cayin N7 via Liquid Links Venom as recommended by one review. BIG TIME SQ!!!!!!!! , beautiful balance and great timber right out of the box too. Should need 100 hours of breakin based on the 2 DD per side configuration.

EDIT
3 songs later. Singularity caught up to the Anni and is now very nice.
Two right out of the box great IEMs . and a week at the beach. What more could I ask for?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #61,893 of 89,333
Mainly the fit but that's just personal to me. After that I hear the Phoenix to sound fuller in its overall presentation which I'm discovering more and more to be my preference. When i'm listening to something live or acoustic. an example would be Eva Cassidy acoustic version of time after time, both the Bird & Phonix sound sublime to me and I'd be happy listening to either one ( and often did lol) whereas if I was listening to something like Dire Straits Where do you think you're going? I much prefer the Phonix for its overall impact and fuller presentation. From memory I would say the Erl for me was closer to the Phonix in its presentation. I hear a bit more clarity or extension in the treble of the Phonix when compared to the Erl. This was very evident on The Eagles Hotel California live version. This was also a favourite of mine with the Bird. I particularly enjoyed hear the clapping, whistles etc from the audience coming at me from all different directions and depths.

Yes, I can well understand what you mean, thank you for the explanation.
If you have such music and preferences, I would definitely recommend you to listen Ronin and Mason FS - if you have the chance. Especially for acoustic music, Mason FS is second to none for me personally.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #61,894 of 89,333
Yes, I can well understand what you mean, thank you for the explanation.
If you have such music and preferences, I would definitely recommend you to listen Ronin and Mason FS - if you have the chance. Especially for acoustic music, Mason FS is second to none for me personally.
I would definitely like to hear those two. Hopefully I may get to hear them at this years London CanJam?

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #61,895 of 89,333
I would definitely like to hear those two. Hopefully I may get to hear them at this years London CanJam?
Oh man I would have loved to come - if only I had a passport, but unfortunately it takes too long to create, I already asked. I would have been happy to meet you (and others) in person and I would have let you test them with pleasure. But I'm sure you'll be able to demo them there.

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #61,896 of 89,333
Sunday morning tabulation-- I will do one final tabulation tonight (in about 14 hours or so).

Rn6 x20

Xe6 x13
Mentor x13
Viking x11

Traillii x9
Trifecta x9
Annihilator x8
Jewel x8
Ronin x8
Phonix/LE x8
u/a12t x7

Grand Maestro x5
IER Z1R x5
Storm x5
Maestro SE x4
Singularity x4
AüR Audio Aure x3
Impact x3
AüR Audio Neon Pro x3
AüR Audio Aurora x3
KSE-1200/1500 x3

Mest III x2
P-Zero x2
Indigo x2
Quintet x2
Mentawai x2
Thunder x2
Kr5 x2
EXT x2
MEST Mkii x2
SR8 x2
Perpetua x2
Odin x2
Supreme v3 x2
AK/VE Aura x2
Diva x2

Aful P8
RedHalo
Scarlet Mini
Inear PMX
Tesseract
Fitear MH334SR
Valkyrie Mk 1
Goldplanar GL-AMT16
Shure SE846
Dorado 2020
Elysian X
TGX Prototype
SR7
ISN Audio Neo 5
LOAK-TC
FranQL Pegasus
Bqeyz Winter
Tangzu Heyday
Penon 10th
Mason FS
ER4XR
ER2XR
Odyssey
IE600
RSV
Grand Duke
TXN DesTi
Mezzo LE
Evo
QDC v14
Legend X
Cadenza
IER-M9
XBA-N3
Turii/Ti
MAD 24
Fourte
Gaea
Allegro
VE7
MEST OG
EE Raven
Thummim
Madoo 512
Acoustune Sho
Erlkonig

2-Dita PPT. (Jack of all trades, master of none.)

Assuming you mean Perpetua here and not the Dita Powerpoint...lol

A special shout out to Chang, who has shown brilliant mastery in the tuning of Singularity. It is intoxicating, impactful and has such exquisite cohesiveness without sacrificing extension at both ends. This is my number one IEM of the year at the moment.

I dig the design motif, along with the simple and elegant splitter. I appreciate when audiogear cases are not chunky, so the wooden box is enamouring.

+1...to all this...I've never been as satisfied with a single DD IEM before.

How would you compare Singularity to Trifecta in terms of sound profile,

Singularity is more balanced, Trifecta is bass dominant. The biggest quality they share is that both have prominent bass without muddying up or getting in the way of the FR. Trifecta for me borders on being a "fetish" IEM for how indulgent it is in all the ways I like. Singularity is more even keeled and imho a towering achievment in tuning for how it brings just enough of everything to the table without sacrificing or going overboard on anything. It truly is a "best of all worlds" IEM.

technical performance

Biggest difference is scale-- and this is for me where Trifecta earns its bread and butter. Trifecta has a massive full sized headphone type sound and stage that would not be fair to compare to a single driver. In terms of resolution and imaging they're both excellent and among the best I've heard from DD driven IEMs.

and comfort?

Trifecta wins this one me but it's entirely down to my ears. Singularity is just on the edge of being too small for my big ears and needs occasional adjustments to stay in my ears sometimes. If the nozzles were just slightly longer allowing for a deeper insertion it would benefit me.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #61,897 of 89,333
Mainly the fit but that's just personal to me. After that I hear the Phoenix to sound fuller in its overall presentation which I'm discovering more and more to be my preference. When i'm listening to something live or acoustic. an example would be Eva Cassidy acoustic version of time after time, both the Bird & Phonix sound sublime to me and I'd be happy listening to either one ( and often did lol) whereas if I was listening to something like Dire Straits Where do you think you're going? I much prefer the Phonix for its overall impact and fuller presentation. From memory I would say the Erl for me was closer to the Phonix in its presentation. I hear a bit more clarity or extension in the treble of the Phonix when compared to the Erl. This was very evident on The Eagles Hotel California live version. This was also a favourite of mine with the Bird. I particularly enjoyed hearing the clapping, whistles etc from the audience coming at me from all different directions and depths.

‘Agree with you on PHoNIX vs. Trailli. I prefer the PHo for its more romantic, earthy, analog sound. It maintains an instrument’s warmer, meatier overtones, and it doesn’t over-articulate, so it’s as if you’re hearing the instrument in a room with all its echoes and decays. Whereas, the Trailli has a more direct, in-your-ear sound that’s “cleaner,” but I found it less natural and relaxed, personally. But, that’s coming from someone who prefers a bit more viola in a string quartet and baritone in a horn section, so.. :D

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #61,900 of 89,333
Anyone have time yet to cable roll Singularity?

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #61,901 of 89,333
I personally don't have any issues whatsoever with Rn6 😉 But I recently tested it with Orpheus and that was a magical combination (for the cost-no-object enthusiast), but the stock cable is really good. Tip-wise I like Final E, Spiral Dot, and Eartune Fidelity U, but not for any reason other than comfort. I find the stock Symbio W very hard and uncomfortable. Source wise, it's outstanding with RS8, especially with the new Darwin V2 filters!

Me neither (no particular issue with Rn6 too 😊), but I would have been interested to see if there’s some “magical” accessories or settings that could make me appreciate it even more.

BTW thanks for reminding me about it, I just installed V2 filters on RS8 (btw it can be easily done directly from the RS8 itself, that’s great 👍).

Which setting would you recommend for the Darwin Controller with the Rn6 (filter / harmonic controller / …) ? I’m testing Darwin Ultra right now, sounds promising 😊

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #61,902 of 89,333
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #61,903 of 89,333
BTW thanks for reminding me about it, I just installed V2 filters on RS8 (btw it can be easily done directly from the RS8 itself, that’s great 👍).
Not to sound daft but how is this done? How do i know if I already have the V2 filters or not? Thanks

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #61,904 of 89,333
I'll have my chance to give Rn6 a proper demo in the coming weeks/months, but it was these kinds of impressions that convinced me to all in and get the custom Xe6. Why on earth would I want an Xe6 that is less-Xe6-like? Crazy talk!!

Sure it's been a long honeymoon for me, but I keep wondering what these genres are? maybe I just don't listen to them...

I'd say metal and rock are especially genres that don't work for me on the Xe6 (at alll). While my favorite genres for Xe6 are pop, EDM, trance, and vocal-centric music. So for example, the Xe6 would probably be my favorite IEM, out of my collection, for the last Dua Lipa, Miley and Ellie Goulding albums.

But if I'm listening to, say, Metallica, I'd turn to the Rn6 or Ronin. And if I'm listening to Dream Theater, I'm definitely reaching for the Ragnar so I can hear all the layers, and all the detail in the rhythm guitars.

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #61,905 of 89,333
Not to sound daft but how is this done? How do i know if I already have the V2 filters or not? Thanks

You can download Darwin V2 filters from @Joe Bloggs 's post here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...for-hiby-rs6-rs8-rs2-fc6.969083/post-17655523

And to confirm they've been successfully installed:

A successful installation would be such that the names of the "Low-pass antialiasing filter setting" filters available to choose from, in the Darwin controller pages, changes from:

Darwin 1
Darwin 2
Darwin 3
Darwin 4
Darwin 5
Darwin 6
Darwin 7
Darwin 8
Darwin 9
Darwin 10

to the new names similar to those given in the article above (Default: Min-delay Fast Normal, Mean-delay Fast Late... LinPhase Slow Late, NOS non-filter, NOS 1st-order interp, Darwin Ultra). As noted, the graphics for each haven't been updated yet, that would have to wait for an actual firmware release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back