The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #59,356 of 89,074
May 28, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #59,357 of 89,074
Hmmm. Bright + bright = super bright? I haven’t heard the Rn6 but I think I read that the treble is quite elevated. N8ii certainly is bright sounding, too much for my taste and the main reason I sold it.

Integrated NuTubes was its big draw and selling point for me but overtime limited synergy, heat, brightness were why I parted with mine after a year of ownership. N8ii added more treble sparkle and shifted RN6’s signature that was too fatiguing for extended listening.

I don’t hear RN6 (red module) as bright and hear it more warm balanced with natural details and clarity.

May 28, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #59,359 of 89,074
Hmmm. Bright + bright = super bright? I haven’t heard the Rn6 but I think I read that the treble is quite elevated. N8ii certainly is bright sounding, too much for my taste and the main reason I sold it.
I found RN6 with the Shanling m9 (warm) and Cayin C9 (warm) quite bright leaning, at least with red modules. I’ve heard n8ii is quite neutral so id imagine some would find it too bright. Try to demo if you can.

May 28, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #59,360 of 89,074
Hi Folks, I hope everyone is doing well.

At the moment, what are your best/favorite Dap's...

Have a nice weekend to all of you 💥💫

Cayin N7
HiBy RS8
iBasso DX320Max

May 28, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #59,361 of 89,074

Full size: L&P LP6
Mid Size: Shanling M6U
Pocketable: AK SR25ii (probably soon SR35 once I hear it).

I have not heard Shanling M9+ or any of the current TOTL Ibasso.

May 28, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #59,363 of 89,074

320 Max - very high fidelity and amazing technicals, different level of performance compared to any other “daps” available right now. Screen isn’t that good, it looks cheap, has sensitivity issues, and the bezels are ugly. Also the volume control won’t be for everyone and isn’t ideal for very sensitive IEMs

M9+ - one of the most refined warm sources available, excellent amp section and hardware, android 10 feels aged but it’s very smooth and works well, the dap gets warm with use

HiBy R6 Pro 2 - best bang for buck, lovely use case, battery life isn’t its strong point but it’s good enough, drives IEMs just fine despite its weaker power output

Hiby RS8 - r2r and android, my fav dap to use probably. Great hardware and UI, battery life is incredible. Treble lacks refinement which makes me hear it as “a little digital” for an r2r source

SP3000 - awesome tonality and pitch black background but the amp lacks driving power/dynamics, I also dislike you can’t scale the display size for sideloaded android apps

N7 - lovely smooth and organic sound, addicting/immersive staging and imaging. Amp section is poor with power hungry IEMs and not quiet enough for sensitive gear, which is it’s main letdown

N8ii - slightly bright leaning/revealing sound, Swiss Army knife of daps but overall tone stays the same, gets very warm during usage and battery takes a while to charge

M2 - some of the nicest mids I’ve heard from a source, very well layered with a hint of warmth. Good resolution and very natural bass decay, treble is meh and throws it off with some IEMs synergy, OS is slow

Not a DAP but honorable mention to the Tsuranagi + Yatono ultimate mini IC combo, one of the nicest tonalities I've heard from any amp. Slight warm neutral tint with excellent textures and full bodied image. Stage organization is top class as well as imaging, not as dynamic or spacious as the 320 Max but this has much better volume control that you can really tweak down to finest levels. Unfortunately the price is just way too high for me, if I could sell my 320 Max and buy this and have about $1000 left over in my pocket I would, but as of now I would have to invest even more money so the value proposition just isn't there given this doesn't outperform 320 Max by itself across the board.

:)

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #59,364 of 89,074
320 Max - very high fidelity and amazing technicals, different level of performance compared to any other “daps” available right now. Screen isn’t that good, it looks cheap, has sensitivity issues, and the bezels are ugly. Also the volume control won’t be for everyone and isn’t ideal for very sensitive IEMs

M9+ - one of the most refined warm sources available, excellent amp section and hardware, android 10 feels aged but it’s very smooth and works well, the dap gets warm with use

HiBy R6 Pro 2 - best bang for buck, lovely use case, battery life isn’t its strong point but it’s good enough, drives IEMs just fine despite its weaker power output

Hiby RS8 - r2r and android, my fav dap to use probably. Great hardware and UI, battery life is incredible. Treble lacks refinement which makes me hear it as “a little digital” for an r2r source

SP3000 - awesome tonality and pitch black background but the amp lacks driving power/dynamics, I also dislike you can’t scale the display size for sideloaded android apps

N7 - lovely smooth and organic sound, addicting/immersive staging and imaging. Amp section is poor with power hungry IEMs and not quiet enough for sensitive gear, which is it’s main letdown

N8ii - slightly bright leaning/revealing sound, Swiss Army knife of daps but overall tone stays the same, gets very warm during usage and battery takes a while to charge

M2 - some of the nicest mids I’ve heard from a source, very well layered with a hint of warmth. Good resolution and very natural bass decay, treble is meh and throws it off with some IEMs synergy, OS is slow

Not a DAP but honorable mention to the Tsuranagi + Yatono ultimate mini IC combo, one of the nicest tonalities I've heard from any amp. Slight warm neutral tint with excellent textures and full bodied image. Stage organization is top class as well as imaging, not as dynamic or spacious as the 320 Max but this has much better volume control that you can really tweak down to finest levels. Unfortunately the price is just way too high for me, if I could sell my 320 Max and buy this and have about $1000 left over in my pocket I would, but as of now I would have to invest even more money so the value proposition just isn't there given this doesn't outperform 320 Max by itself across the board.

:)

If you had to roll with one dap based just on sound what would you choose?

May 28, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #59,366 of 89,074
The n8ii with the Rn6 red module is really good. I wouldn't say that either are bright. I found the sp3k to be bright. The rn6 and n8ii are both warm to my ears. Ymmv.
I found RN6 with the Shanling m9 (warm) and Cayin C9 (warm) quite bright leaning, at least with red modules. I’ve heard n8ii is quite neutral so id imagine some would find it too bright. Try to demo if you can.
As always, it looks like everyone hears things differently

May 28, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #59,369 of 89,074

Users who are viewing this thread

Back