The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 27, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #59,326 of 89,132
I always wonder, when it comes to upgrading do guys get more from upgrading IEM or your sources?
I personally feel upgrading IEM offers a new flavor, whereas DAP now days almost all sound very similar.
IEMs makes the biggest difference. Changing the DAP can slight alter some characteristics of the IEM but it’s not changing the fundamental sound of an IEM.

May 27, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #59,327 of 89,132
Covid free after 11 days!

No amount of coughing is going to take away from Rn6

May 27, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #59,328 of 89,132
I also bit the bullet and the FT for my A18s with the special Musicteck has going on.

Ofc that comes with another account of their amazing customer service.

So storytime with Kuro:
- Had some Paypal balance sitting around from selling some gear. 2.5K CAD and 90 USD. So figure I use the balance and cover the rest on either Credit or Visa Debit
- When making the order, for some reason Paypal balance shows $90 USD when I select it to use. But shows the correct remaining amount after the CAD balance is applied. Both payment methods are rejected and told to check funds which is super odd.
- Tried on a few devices to see if it was Paypal brain farting. No go still. So I figured maybe it was the payment methods and I added a family card I used for shared costs. Payment goes through, sigh of relief.
- Nope! Almost gave myself a heart attack when I saw the authorization email: Paypal had deducted the 90 USD and charged the rest to the shared card.
- Immediate emailed to Andrew to see if he could see anything as to how the payment showed on his end. Maybe Paypal had charged the full amount for authorization to my card and would do the reduction later. Expected a response maybe tomorrow since it is a long weekend in the States.
- Did another test order, this time with the US balance gone, it applied the CAD balance and deducted the proper amount. So clearly something with Paypal.
- Andrew responded within 15 minutes to my email and asked how to proceed. Cancelled the order in another 15 from my reply.
- Tried to redo the order, nope still applying the USD balance. After some Google fu, I had to log in the browser and convert the one of the currencies into the other to be able to apply the correct amount. Somehow I have none of that when ordering OR in the app.

May 28, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #59,329 of 89,132
Explored the M9+ this week :)

85BF93F5-52F6-4064-99BD-E6FC05F8FC06.jpeg

This is possibly the best sounding warm streaming DAP. It took my TGX Totem to the next level. Totem has a neutral mid forward tuning. Vocals in particular become more euphonic with added note weight. Bass became slammier without sacrificing much of it's clean, spaced out imaging. Based on impressions, I was expecting M9+ to have rolled off treble but its more stately. Serratus (U shape) also pairs well with it.

Mentor / M9+ is pretty good. Mentors warm to begin with. Adding M9+ gave more oomph to the mid bass (also adding slight woolinees to it). I like what it did to the vocals. Going back to SP3K, I remembered why this was my favorite pairing. Imaging was cleaner, the bass became tighter, highs were silky smooth. It's more hifi sounding overall while having better timbre.

386B8226-A5CF-4778-AFE3-5151E26F0417.jpeg

Based on the DAPs that I have owned, my favourite pairing with the Mentor is:

1. SP3K
2. M9+
3. N8ii
4. RS8

After reading impressions that 320 Max pairs well with Mentor, I listed and sold my SP3K to @Tokpakorlo. I figured I could upgrade to the SP3K CU version if max' UI / ergo, etc doesn't end up working for me.

Ordered the DX320 Max!
EC7B3C38-723D-4E27-8D10-2A785617CCD2.jpeg

Also excited to see how it scales up earbuds.

DAP slayer @aaf evo has been raving about the Hiby R6 Pro 2 so I ordered this as well:

4984EEEC-B297-4992-A52A-4073371FB558.jpeg

Since I no longer use dongles, this might end up being my EDC.

Exciting week ahead.

May 28, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #59,330 of 89,132
I have spent the weekend, so far, listening and burning in my new shiny, the Penon 10th AE IEM. This new Penon packs 2x DD, 2x BA and 2x EST for a selling price of $500.

To date, I own and have enjoyed the $300 Penon Serial quite a lot. I also have a small handful of treasured Penon cables with an exotic variety of metals. They all combine amazingly well to present in slightly different ways depending on the IEM. It's great to have a maker doing crazy things with metals that are affordable!

So, back to the 10th AE (which has only burned in about 70 hours). Compared to Serial, wow yeah, this is similar in thick note weight and tuning, but better to my ears, especially in the sub bass and high treble. I will go out on a limb and say it's closer to my Indigo than the Serial in terms of performance. Have I mentioned the price of this IEM!? It's $500. Not cheap, but a fraction of the sets I'm comparing it to in my humble collection.

What a fun and engaging listen! Penon is a force to be reckoned with and is making TOTL sound more accessible! Bravo, and congrats on the 10th Anniversary! I, for one, feel like the real benefactor in the situation!

May 28, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #59,331 of 89,132
Hey Wolfhawk46 , I noticed you have the Cayin 8Nii . Would you mind sharing some quick impressions like do you know if it would pair well with the rn6 and do you like it better then the AK SP3000 ? Maybe a line or 2 . Musicteck is having a sale on the 8Nii right now and I do value your opinions . Thanks if you can reply .
It pairs very well with the Rn6 - I like it more than the SP3k, but I wasn't a huge fan of that one. N8ii is probably one of the best DAPs still to this day. I'm only selling mine because it's overkill for what I have nowadays since I got out of the TOTL IEMs.

May 28, 2023 at 3:11 AM Post #59,332 of 89,132
In terms of influence on the chain transducers are far and away the most significant variable. Sources are definitely the next most important...not as significant as transducers but definitely not as negligible as audio nihilist types would have you believe. I heard significant differences just going from the Cayin N7 to the. P6 Pro to the LP6...all of which are somewhat similar in their basic sonic DNA. I think in times like this where there isn't much new in terms of IEMs hiting the market people tend to cycle through sources more quickly to keep experiencing variety or one more possible pathway to pure audio nirvana.
I agree 100% if, like you and me, one has at least one TOTL source. I could not hear what my IEMs were actually capable of until I heard them thru P6Pro (which you mentioned along with 2 other TOTL DAPs).

I have only the one TOTL DAP, but if I were advising myself a year or more ago, I would have put one of these on the list before buying any more iems.

Having something like P6Pro goes farther than any single IEM in my collection and I'd probably give up any iem I have to keep this source for what it does for all the other iems I have.

May 28, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #59,335 of 89,132
I also bit the bullet and the FT for my A18s with the special Musicteck has going on.

Ofc that comes with another account of their amazing customer service.

So storytime with Kuro:
- Had some Paypal balance sitting around from selling some gear. 2.5K CAD and 90 USD. So figure I use the balance and cover the rest on either Credit or Visa Debit
- When making the order, for some reason Paypal balance shows $90 USD when I select it to use. But shows the correct remaining amount after the CAD balance is applied. Both payment methods are rejected and told to check funds which is super odd.
- Tried on a few devices to see if it was Paypal brain farting. No go still. So I figured maybe it was the payment methods and I added a family card I used for shared costs. Payment goes through, sigh of relief.
- Nope! Almost gave myself a heart attack when I saw the authorization email: Paypal had deducted the 90 USD and charged the rest to the shared card.
- Immediate emailed to Andrew to see if he could see anything as to how the payment showed on his end. Maybe Paypal had charged the full amount for authorization to my card and would do the reduction later. Expected a response maybe tomorrow since it is a long weekend in the States.
- Did another test order, this time with the US balance gone, it applied the CAD balance and deducted the proper amount. So clearly something with Paypal.
- Andrew responded within 15 minutes to my email and asked how to proceed. Cancelled the order in another 15 from my reply.
- Tried to redo the order, nope still applying the USD balance. After some Google fu, I had to log in the browser and convert the one of the currencies into the other to be able to apply the correct amount. Somehow I have none of that when ordering OR in the app.
2-Way payments always can be a problem. I feel most websites don’t even allow that, just creates headaches for everyone involved. Glad you were able to get yours to work,👍🤙

May 28, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #59,336 of 89,132
Thanks again for the reply , It looks like I'll get the N8ii .
Hmmm. Bright + bright = super bright? I haven’t heard the Rn6 but I think I read that the treble is quite elevated. N8ii certainly is bright sounding, too much for my taste and the main reason I sold it.

May 28, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #59,338 of 89,132
curious to see where the max will go on this list. please keep us updated.

why do you doubt about it’s UI ? is that a closed system like sp3k or fully open android ?

This is going to be my first Ibasso / Max. The size of the player is something I should be okay with since I do most of my listening during extended sit down sessions. For example, I didn't mind the Fiio M17 being more of a transportable.

In regards to UI, I meant the user experience in general. So far, SP3K had the most refined software : hardware implementation I've come across. Snappy, no hiccups and works when I need it to. It feels like a finished product.

I've heard reports about 320 Max' screen not being as responsive. Also curious if the step attenuator would cause the volume to be either too quiet or loud. This could potentially be a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #59,339 of 89,132
This is going to be my first Ibasso / Max. The size of the player is something I should be okay with since I do most of my listening during extended sit down sessions. For example, I didn't mind the Fiio M17 being more of a transportable.

In regards to UI, I meant the user experience in general. So far, SP3K had the most refined software : hardware implementation I've come across. No hiccups. Works when I need it to. It feels like a finished product.

I've heard reports about 320 Max' screen not being as responsive. Also curious if the step attenuator would cause the volume to be either too quiet or loud. This could potentially be a deal breaker for me.
For my the screen is no issue on responsive. The volume step is new to me. I had asked around if it is normal haha.

May 28, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #59,340 of 89,132
So far, SP3K had the most refined software : hardware implementation I've come across. Snappy, no hiccups and works when I need it to. It feels like a finished product.

totally agree. it’s sw is a pleasure to use for me. some people don’t like closed systems and that’s understandable but for my needs it is perfect as a source. though i am still curious about LP6 ti and a future LP7, that being said, i don’t believe there would be a night and day difference in terms of SQ.

looking fwd to hear your impressions on the max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back