The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 26, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #59,296 of 90,124
Good eye, that is my DX320. Running the stock amp, whatever that is.

With the Rn6 there is maybe just a hint of hiss audible with nothing playing, not noticeable with music or real sound. More disturbing is that if I am charging the 320 with USB and am using an insulating case (like the stock leather), there is a parasitic short on the volume dial, combined with the Rn6's kinetic port this causes a small current loop and I am treated to a bit of buzzing if I adjust the volume.

Really sloppy stuff even if only an issue while charging. It is easily enough circumvented by just taking the case off and holding the DAP itself (thus bypassing the parasitic).

There's other stuff that's super annoying generally too, go search the 320 thread and see how many people have issues with chargers... I have to reboot mine into Mango OS to work correctly with any of my USB chargers. I appreciate their other models are probably better, but I'm gonna avoid iBasso in the future.
Thanks for the honesty and reply . I think I will look for another DAP .

May 26, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #59,297 of 90,124
The Controversy continues…..

I just A/B my sd card which is a SanDisk 256 against the mighty Micron 256
IMG_8155.jpeg
And…..

Yes! There is a resounding difference! Better layering, separation and hugely improved Dynamic range. This is pretty awesome, as I was very skeptical.

Glad I took the plunge!

May 26, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #59,298 of 90,124
Thanks to @Wolfhawk46 🦊, received Final A5000 today!!

Wrapping up my brief session with Final A5000, my first (&) Final IEM.. I preferred MAXimizing stock potential with stock eartip and stock SPC 3.5mm cable, DX300 max ti.
7E6CC057-E33F-4EC9-BBE2-12F4240114F9.jpeg
Dx 220 max w mod has more beefy meaty bass. When matched with Erua Tawa 8w(their previous flagship alloy cable with paladium. Very good bass and resolve), I missed some airy extension. Stock 3.5mm and Dx220 max- congested.
Tawa + Dx300max ti—> miss excellent bass. Also titanium causes slight smearing of focus in bass and mid.
PW Attila+300 max ti—-> excellent soundstage and bass. But, I think mid high extension could be better- lacks slight airyness and resolve. Mest2/Attila and 300 max ti is my Favourite, solving this problem.
Stock cable setting with Dx 300 max ti is the best so far😜

A5000 sq is.. to my untrained ear, less Bass hit(due to platic housing(?)) and soundstage than Dark sky stock 2.5mm cable(Due to being 3.5mm single ended maybe) but otherwise very balanced throughout FR, good airyness, good mid/ vocals as well, very very good iem? Will keep listening.

Being a light weight(literally) IEM, comfort is great. Five different sizes of eartips are provided(Final E type, I think). Eartip comfort is also great.

Comfort? Check
Tonality? Check
DD bass? Check
Price? Check
Cable? Check. No need for cable rolling unless you want grandiose soundstage/ambition
Some airyness as DD iem? Check
Good vocals? Check
Eartip synergy? Check
Your Final IEM? Check

Not giving you a hamburger with mouth-watering tomatoes, fresh crunchy lettuce and meaty..meat ingredients though.. Off for lunch~
Thanks. I like how light and comfortable from this A5000. Price - Benefit ratio is amazing.

May 26, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #59,299 of 90,124
Universal Grand Maestro & CIEM Impact purchased!

04C48E68-7F19-414D-9C8B-025277914D38.jpeg

Heard better things about the Grand Maestro universal fit vs MSE. Queue times seems to have gotten better for Penon, about a week before my CIEM gets shipped :)
You'll enjoy the Impacts for their alluring midrange magic Nate, a different cable will help you bring out the best in them.

I've begun work on a massive cable shootout & review in which the Impacts will be one of the IEMs used to test cable performance, hopefully ready in 3 or 4 weeks.

May 26, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #59,300 of 90,124
Universal Grand Maestro & CIEM Impact purchased!

04C48E68-7F19-414D-9C8B-025277914D38.jpeg

Heard better things about the Grand Maestro universal fit vs MSE. Queue times seems to have gotten better for Penon, about a week before my CIEM gets shipped :)
I was wondering if you were gonna go back and get the Impact! I would like to hear it again myself.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting your GM impressions. It’s a set I’m lusting after but unsure if it will fit with my library. Definitely one I want to hear.

On another note, I know you owned Odin and loved it like I did. If I remember correctly, You sold yours due to the pronounced upper mids….this is why I sold mine a few years back but I also remember how much I loved Odin with Jazz, Classical, singer songwriter and solo instrumentation….so I purchased another one and it will be arriving this Wednesday!! Did you cable roll your Odin? When I had it, I never tried as I didn’t have any other cables then (I was a newb)

I’m hoping my age and my warmer source and a different cable, along with some brain burn will help those spicy upper mids. Regardless I’m pretty excited to have Odin coming back home.

May 26, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #59,301 of 90,124
The Controversy continues…..

I just A/B my sd card which is a SanDisk 256 against the mighty Micron 256

And…..

Yes! There is a resounding difference! Better layering, separation and hugely improved Dynamic range. This is pretty awesome, as I was very skeptical.

Glad I took the plunge!

You and @Bosk got me curious about the Micron cards again! It seems like it has a price premium but the way I see it if I am going to buy another card in the future, might as well add a bit more to get the benefit of the doubt.

very particular and beautiful. compliments for your taste ! if i knew there existed other faceplates, i would have gotten this one instead.

this version is what i have (supposedly), however looks nothing alike. especially the L side. but, it’s not a marriage.

Thank you. At the end of the day these all sound the same, the aesthetics are a bonus for me. Hope you're enjoying your Mentor 🎶.

You'll enjoy the Impacts for their alluring midrange magic Nate, a different cable will help you bring out the best in them.

Impact put a spell on me during my 1 week demo. Excited to see how the design turns out in person.

Here is a sneak peak with the faceplate material:

received_1620828101769829.jpeg

Asked for clear shells and a chrome coloured logo of my choice.

@Penon has also had excellent CS. After I reported comfort issues with RGB, the owner sent me a ear tip care package a few weeks ago.

Not sure if these have a name but they feel like a softer Radius Ear mount:

received_1429739737870049.jpeg

I've begun work on a massive cable shootout & review in which the Impacts will be one of the IEMs used to test cable performance, hopefully ready in 3 or 4 weeks.

Excited to read about your findings 👍

May 26, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #59,302 of 90,124
I was wondering if you were gonna go back and get the Impact! I would like to hear it again myself.

I’ll be anxiously awaiting your GM impressions. It’s a set I’m lusting after but unsure if it will fit with my library. Definitely one I want to hear.

On another note, I know you owned Odin and loved it like I did. If I remember correctly, You sold yours due to the pronounced upper mids….this is why I sold mine a few years back but I also remember how much I loved Odin with Jazz, Classical, singer songwriter and solo instrumentation….so I purchased another one and it will be arriving this Wednesday!! Did you cable roll your Odin? When I had it, I never tried as I didn’t have any other cables then (I was a newb)

I’m hoping my age and my warmer source and a different cable, along with some brain burn will help those spicy upper mids. Regardless I’m pretty excited to have Odin coming back home.
I found the horus x cleo solved my upper mid bloom problem without sacrificing the sound quality or tonality of the odins. Cleo II had a similar impact but the staging is narrower than the horus x cleo (HxC) and not as deep or tall and with more bass rumble, smoother treble while still sparkly but not as bright as the HxC.

Ode to Laura works well with the odin also, the slight mid recession and wispy nature helps and the tighter bass pronounces then lower mids a bit better which helps to tame the upper mids a bit. The darker but nice sparkled but not exactly smooth treble ( OtL is so weird but so amazing...) also helps tame the upper mids.

I did not like the code23 with Odin, made it way too bass heavy and there was just bass bleeding into everything making it very incoherent.

Personally I like the HxC the most out of the cables I've rolled Odin through, just something in the way it adds sweetness to the vocals that just makes the odins upper mid vocal forwardness easy and extremely enjoyable to listen to. Poke @MusicTeck, found it much quicker and easier than going EA directly (they tend to be very slow on orders for me but their customer service is great so can't complain much), also has OtL in stock still I believe, so either route you go you can grab one.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #59,303 of 90,124
Any impressions on RU7?? Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #59,304 of 90,124
Does anyone in here use a DAC/Amp with the Nintendo Switch?
I used the LP W2, now using the W4. You’ll need something with UAC 1.0.

May 27, 2023 at 4:04 AM Post #59,306 of 90,124
I'll have one next week, will cross-post some impressions here.
Thanks!

IMG_0851.jpeg

My new 64 for outside listening sesh.

May 27, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #59,307 of 90,124
Both iem's excel at anything you throw at it due to solid tuning, but Mentor wins in the midrange; Annihilator 2023 wins in engagement and dynamism. Both are amongst the best in terms of raw technical ability. Mentor is the most holograhpic iem I've heard to date

thank you for your great insight and comparison. makes me definitely salivating on the anni. i do enjoy more engagement from an iem. however, the slight compromise on the holographic ability (with respect to mentor) makes me chill and wait for the upcoming dio.

May 27, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #59,309 of 90,124
I always wonder, when it comes to upgrading do guys get more from upgrading IEM or your sources?
I personally feel upgrading IEM offers a new flavor, whereas DAP now days almost all sound very similar.
The IEM is always the biggest change. DAPs can and do make a big difference, but it also depends on how responsive/transparent the IEM is to differences in sources. With the choices available today you can get incredible sounding gear for not-ridiculous amounts of money, and go up from there. It all depends on what you're looking for, something specific, or you just want to experience as much gear as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back