The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #56,116 of 91,357
Sooo cool ...

Pilot Frixion is my go to pen

1.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #56,117 of 91,357
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #56,118 of 91,357
Welcoming Annihilator 2023 to the collection. What an iem!

This product blew me away when I first met @HiFiHawaii808 @Rockwell75 & @Precogvision in SoCal at the lobby lounge. At the time I was catching up on all the latest and greatest I had not heard yet (Jewel, Supermoon & more) but Annihilator immediately made me go “wow, best treble in an iem“. Of course, being wowed on audition is different than having it in house.

Fast forward to CanJam NYC, Elysian freshly launched revisions to their Annihilator and DIVA. Upon second audition I was still wowed but found the treble less prominent for some reason. Perhaps just being on the show floor or maybe the bass was improved/ boosted?

Fast forward again to today, I have to say these are wonderful and effectively one of my new favorites. Definitely a U-shape tuning accentuating fun and engagement though respecting a neutral listen as best it can. Percussions and bass guitar are life-like, as are most instruments, transparency is world class and treble is effortless. Midrange is on the leaner and cleaner side, taking a backseat, but still very well put together. Low mids are more filled in, and upper mids less filled in relative to your standard Elysian house sound which goes a long way in making these sound less clinical and digital than Diva or Gaea. It’s superb.

Also want to take time to answer my top 3 iem’s that own my heart at this time - in no particular order:

Elysian Annihilator 2023 — Neutral/U with incredible resolution.

Dynamic and exciting. Super engaging and best treble in the game for me (perhaps after KSE). Effortless.

Subtonic Storm — Neutral/ slight warm (bass boost)

Best sum-of-all-parts iem I have heard. Almost no flaws, plays anything you throw at it with aplomb and never bothering the ear.

UM Mentor Multiverse — Neutral/ W (elevated midbass, relaxed upper midrange, forward mid-treble).

Incredible tone, timbre and midrange realism/ dynamism. Extremely coherent across the range with all BA + BCD. Holographic and expansive. Shortcoming (or strength) being a coloration which is not necessarily neutral but very natural. Not as engaging and fun as other two, but very emotionally engaging midrange makes this in some ways sound more correct for my HRTF than any other iem out there. Can tip the scale of being too warm or too forward depending on sources.

47C157B2-9EFD-4B65-BF1B-F2558F37D786.jpeg
EC4BADDF-3725-42E0-B028-A7DAA17D14C1.jpeg
7362D29A-95DD-4B92-802D-071F0A15D978.jpeg

1FF9F1AA-9255-4AD8-AFAA-1B5F93D12666.jpeg

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #56,120 of 91,357
Seriously asking. What makes this pen so special?
Proper usage of this pen will expand the purchasing power capacity of owner and hence owner can buy new gear every month.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #56,121 of 91,357

A few things for me anyway - excellent grip, very nice weight, and I love the flow of the ink - it feels more artistic to write with, and my writing improves with a better pen like this. Not to mention I love the style of the pen too, I always appreciate a more industrial or mechanical design.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #56,122 of 91,357
Annihilator treble is unmatched. I guess tomorrow I will give it some time again with Venom. I just realized I miss it.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #56,123 of 91,357
Proper usage of this pen will expand the purchasing power capacity of owner and hence owner can buy new gear every month.

And this too - goes without saying... good pen, increases buying power.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #56,124 of 91,357
Side bar to the pens but just got my Coreir Brass (Pentaconn) tips in, M/MS pack, they are very good so far. Paired the MS size up with my indigos and it definitely is a perfect compliment to them (feels like the BCD might actually be working through the brass a bit). These would probably go excellent with the Odyssey and EVO since i think Empire relies on their BCD through the nozzle?

They don't obscure the nozzle on the indigos at all which a lot of tips have an issue with so the sound is super clear, everything feels very natural and well balanced with these. They have a similar sound (clearer but slightly less treble boosting, bass is definitely better) to the Spinfit W1s but the fit is definitely better since they aren't as prone to sliding out.
How do the Coreir fit in correlation to other brands? I can wear small to large tips depending on the iem in question and the brand.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #56,125 of 91,357
Hey guys! I'm a bit late but I've finally compiled and published my Shanling M6 Ultra review. Have a read if you're interested! Cheers!

PS - Been a bit too busy with work and now I have TOO many pages to catch up on here, which I'll try to now... :sweat_smile:

Shanling M6 Ultra Featured Image.jpg

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #56,126 of 91,357
When I had bought my Rotring 600 back then (many 6-7 years ago), I had (as is usually the case with me) made a science out of it. So I had dealt with the issue of which pen would have the best price / performance ratio for me with a maximum price of 100€. Ultimately, I came to the Rotring 600 in particular because of a special weight distribution and optimal shape also for me. Whether this is different now, I do not know, but at least here in Germany Rotring is very popular because of that.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #56,127 of 91,357
How do the Coreir fit in correlation to other brands? I can wear small to large tips depending on the iem in question and the brand.
For me, fit is usually based on the stiffness/thickness of the inner nozzle, not so much the overall size. I'll use the odin for reference since it's the most "neutral" nozzle wise compared to the Ragnar (deep insert, so smaller tips) and the Indigo (also deep insert and fat nozzle).

For the Odin I typically use Small final audio type E but Medium fit better overall (but i like the slight bass loss for them). The Medium Coreir size seems to fit well with the Odin but the thing to keep in mind is the brass piece is fat and won't conform to anything, so you have to be prepared for a fairly wide (slightly bigger than the end of the odin nozzle) piece of metal to go into your ear. I prefer the medium with Odin, Medium small with the Indigo, absolute no go on the ragnar i think but i haven't tried yet.

Overall I'd say it's equivalent to most mediums or larges, size guide from the back of the box below:

Small 11, MS 12, M 13, L 14 (all mm)
B(vert length) 9.4mm across the board
C (nozzle) 4.4mm

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #56,128 of 91,357
For me, fit is usually based on the stiffness/thickness of the inner nozzle, not so much the overall size. I'll use the odin for reference since it's the most "neutral" nozzle wise compared to the Ragnar (deep insert, so smaller tips) and the Indigo (also deep insert and fat nozzle).

For the Odin I typically use Small final audio type E but Medium fit better overall (but i like the slight bass loss for them). The Medium Coreir size seems to fit well with the Odin but the thing to keep in mind is the brass piece is fat and won't conform to anything, so you have to be prepared for a fairly wide (slightly bigger than the end of the odin nozzle) piece of metal to go into your ear. I prefer the medium with Odin, Medium small with the Indigo, absolute no go on the ragnar i think but i haven't tried yet.

Overall I'd say it's equivalent to most mediums or larges, size guide from the back of the box below:

Small 11, MS 12, M 13, L 14 (all mm)
B(vert length) 9.4mm across the board
C (nozzle) 4.4mm
Out of curiosity, what tips do you use with Ragnar? I find AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec quite good, otherwise actually also stock silicone or Final Audio Type E black.

I just read about the mesh in your review. Very interesting, I also had the problem and Viking Ragnar was eventually exchanged with a brand new replacement. This one is now perfect.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #56,129 of 91,357
Out of curiosity, what tips do you use with Ragnar? I find AZLA SednaEarfit Xelastec quite good, otherwise actually also stock silicone or Final Audio Type E black.

I just read about the mesh in your review. Very interesting, I also had the problem and Viking Ragnar was eventually exchanged with a brand new replacement. This one is now perfect.
I've stuck with the stock black silicone that come with it (medium i think?). The bit i did try tip rolling with it I felt like it took too much of something away from the Ragnar's sound. These Brass are the first tips I've wanted to try but my Magnus wire is currently out of my hands for a few days, once I get it back I'll try them out.

Apr 14, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #56,130 of 91,357
I've stuck with the stock black silicone that come with it (medium i think?). The bit i did try tip rolling with it I felt like it took too much of something away from the Ragnar's sound. These Brass are the first tips I've wanted to try but my Magnus wire is currently out of my hands for a few days, once I get it back I'll try them out.
That's exactly what I was thinking! In fact, I was already planning to use the stock black silicone again as soon as I get around to using Viking Ragnar again. Still, I find the quite Xelastec good because they add a bit more foundation and better vocals without sacrificing energy (or even soundstage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back