The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #5,431 of 89,955
Great first impressions, and yes they generally align with how I hear them too. It's a brilliant IEM for modern music, and anything electronic. 'Brightness' is only really apparent to me when some vocals are involved, or when a track is bright to begin with. Try tip rolling to Acoustune AET07, or even the stock tips, as E Types will mess with the mids.
Thanks, At first I was not sure what all the fuss was about until I changed my playlist.
I don't have the accoustune tips but I think they are included with 7hz Timeless , I'll give them a go.👍

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #5,432 of 89,955
So, after a couple of times that the delivery truck for some reason couldn't find my place , the IE900 are finally here. An hour of listening so far.
Some quick notes:
They are a bit bright leaning. Using Final Audio Epro tips for now.
M8 is definitely a better match over M15.
They sound most similar to IE300 out of my IEMs. Albeit more balanced and jacked up in technicalities. But that was expected.
Compared to Dorado, they sound overall more balanced, soundstage I think IE900 is wider. But the presentation is different. Dorado being more forward in Imaging.
My initial impression is that it works good with a variety of genres. But also maybe lacks a bit of character? I like the Dorado for being more unique. On the flip side the IE900 is the better all-rounder perhaps.
The bass is so so good. Hits hard when needed and very cleanly.
What I'll say is that it does electronic and more modern music really well. My library is limited in that regard , but a few songs form Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish and others sounded great. I think It's a good chance for me to delve more in modern music.
That's all I got for now.😊
Wow. One man's bright is another man's veiled. You must be able to hear dog whistles.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #5,433 of 89,955
Wow. One man's bright is another man's veiled. You must be able to hear dog whistles.
Whcih part of the IE 900 FR do you hear as veiled? Vocals are sometimes pushed back slightly, but it's definitely not a veiled sound to my ears, not even when I A/B with EVO.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #5,434 of 89,955
Whcih part of the IE 900 FR do you hear as veiled? Vocals are sometimes pushed back slightly, but it's definitely not a veiled sound to my ears, not even when I A/B with EVO.
everything except the bass. I have to turn it way up to hear it, but that just makes the bass more prominent.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,435 of 89,955
Yeah,I was under the impression that veiled was more about the mids, I think about treble brightness a lot of people agree that it's not so relaxed there.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #5,436 of 89,955
Tuning earphone is a matter of taste
Very true. But wanting to tune an IEM in a certain way doesn't mean it's done. It means you have to use knowledge, experience, science, whatever you want to call it to actually make it happen. Like if you want a slightly faster mid-bass roll-off without losing body, warmth, and attack you'd need to know to change this driver into that one, position it a bit more to this side, use other damping material, adjust the crossover by about 6-7%, etcetera. I'd say the inspiration behind the tuning is 100% art but making it actually happen is 100% science.

drftr

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #5,437 of 89,955
Yeah,I was under the impression that veiled was more about the mids, I think about treble brightness a lot of people agree that it's not so relaxed there.
Definitely has a lively treble, but it's not harsh and fairly good quality. Mids aren't too badly recessed. I can turn up the volume to bring mids closer without making treble too bright or harsh, and bass always remains top quality.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #5,438 of 89,955
Definitely has a lively treble, but it's not harsh and fairly good quality. Mids aren't too badly recessed. I can turn up the volume to bring mids closer without making treble too bright or harsh, and bass always remains top quality.
Yes, not harsh at all, it's lively enough to keep things engaging. And I like the mids just as they are . I'm guilty of turning the volume up when I get excited and usually It's the forward upper mids that jump at me first and become harsh and unpleasant to me. I have this problem with the LX for example. The IE900 is perfect for me there.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #5,439 of 89,955
^^Yep, as I've said, the relaxed upper mids of the IE 900 is a feature, not a bug, for me.

That said, I am on the hunt for a set that offers a different presentation. Have a Monarch MKII on its way to me; a more "neutral with bass boost" type of FR. Hoping they work out as I'd prefer to avoid multi-kilobuck.

Dec 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #5,440 of 89,955
^^Yep, as I've said, the relaxed upper mids of the IE 900 is a feature, not a bug, for me.

That said, I am on the hunt for a set that offers a different presentation. Have a Monarch MKII on its way to me; a more "neutral with bass boost" type of FR. Hoping they work out as I'd prefer to avoid multi-kilobuck.
I ordered the Monarch mkii. Can't wait to hear it. Have a MEST Indigo on the way too. It just shipped today.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #5,442 of 89,955
I think it's generally important to have a variety of sources since every IEM synergizes differentlyMy iems sound different on the hugo, dave and zh1es....
The hyla sarda highs are too hot on the Hugo and dave but I don't have the same issue on the sony.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #5,443 of 89,955
I think it's generally important to have a variety of sources since every IEM synergizes differentlyMy iems sound different on the hugo, dave and zh1es....
The hyla sarda highs are too hot on the Hugo and dave but I don't have the same issue on the sony.
This is why I've been enjoying the variety of dongles coming out these days. A pretty inexpensive way to have access to a good variety of sources with different tunings. My eyes are on that new Cayin R2R dongle 👀

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #5,444 of 89,955
I know everyone will agree with you on this one but for me it's the one thing NOT to do. I consider this in the same book as EQ, and knowing myself I would start studying which album would need which DAC, which cable, and which EQ-ing to make it sound best. As a result I will turn into a technical listener, because I know I LOVE to do exactly this: Optimizing. Then I will start doing this optimalization for my almost 5,000 albums and on the day I finish and can finally focus on music again, I will die.

drftr

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #5,445 of 89,955
Sorry for the cross posting but shared my EXT impression on the VE thread :)

Bottom line... I am in love!

And the eagle has landed! Kudos to @Vision Ears, I was so excited about the EXT but now I am thrilled :)

Here are a few quick iPhone pics

image4.jpeg

That matching box is so nice and those shells... :heart_eyes:

image3.jpegimage6.jpeg

image2.jpeg
image0.jpeg

I had a couple of hours on them, first out of the box then after the afternoon burning in as I was taken by work... they already opened up a bit. Using the stock cable for now.

First I struggled with the Azla Crystal and took a few minutes to put them on (oh my...) then tipped rolled a bit as the Azla irritated my ears (yes, I am not used to tips anymore...). I finally landed on SpinFits and the fit is just perfect.

The EXT are such seductive IEMs in terms of signature, very exciting for sure and they demand your attention just like the OG Elysium but as advertised the bass is another beast! It's been a good long while since I had so much fun with bass and my inner basshead has a very big smile and my toe tapping to the beat. The sheer power of the EXT is fantastic... the biggest surprise is how fast and controlled the DD is out of the box : this is quite a fast dynamic, it can keep up with faster paced tracks easily and it provides a very clean and snappy delivery. Such an energetic brand of bass! I ran through my usual tracks and was clearly wowed... The texture on percussions is also remarkable there is power but also nuance and boatloads of detail.

To my ears the midrange is not that far off the OG Elysium I expected a bit warmer midrange from what I had read but really the warmth is rather infused from the bass and EXT seems to be just as technical as the OG it just jumps at you a bit less since bass is so powerful... burn in might change things but I don't hear the mids as being warmer or thicker. There is a good amount of bite so I wouldn't say the EXT is a more relaxed OG at least running through my test tracks it's not how I hear it.

Ah and last, but not least... treble is - to me - a notch above the OG and I must say I wouldn't mind an OG v2 with that 4 EST setup. This is possibly the best 4 EST implementation I have heard to date compared to the Volt and Spark custom, we'll see how it compares to Mentawai once it lands. EXT treble bring balance to the powerful bass with both a superb extension and energy. The EXT is from this standpoint much more energetic than I expected from reading impressions of a thicker and overall warmer OG.

You can already tell I am a happy camper and the EXT managed to pull me back towards universals... fit is really superb for a uni and I have hours of getting to know the EXT better... When FiiO M17 lands (any day now...) I think that power will come to good use :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back