The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #5,416 of 89,800
Different tuners have different approaches as well. Piotr from Custom Art and Ito-san from Kumitate Lab have both told me that the first thing they do is get the drivers to produce an imaginary target frequency response. So, they won't even hear it until that graph is achieved. Only after will they listen to the IEM and fine-tune it; work out the kinks. I believe Dean Vang from EE works like that as well. So, you could say that, most of the time, it starts as a science, before slowly transitioning into art.
k.jpg

Cool info @Deezel177 . cheers!
It is interesting though when I checked the frequency response by Custom art and Kumitate Lab’s products they were basically all over the place. Do they have 3-4 or maybe even 5 different target frequency response?

I can see Tansio Mirai or Moondrop more like scientific tuners as they always adhere to their academic frequency response.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #5,417 of 89,800
It’s k.jpg

It is interesting though when I checked frequency response by Custom art and Kumitate Lab products they were basically all over the place. Do they have 3-4 or maybe even 5 different target frequency response?

I can see Tansio Mirai or Moondrop more like scientific tuners as they always adhere to their academic frequency response.
Yeah, they'll have a new one for each IEM. They told me they've tuned enough to the point where they know what each graph "sounds" like, so they'll picture the graph, then aim for it with the drivers and crossovers. Sometimes, the target is achieved, but it doesn't sound as expected, so they'll fine-tune it. Other times, the graph sounds exactly as planned, but there are technical issues like poor imaging or too much THD. So, those are the kinds of issues they'd run into when tuning.

I learned these things from Piotr and Ito-san when I interviewed them for my An Inner View series, by the way. So, if you guys want more insights like that into the people behind the IEMs we use, you can check them out here:

https://theheadphonelist.com/an-inner-view-kumitate-lab/
https://theheadphonelist.com/an-inner-view-custom-art/

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #5,418 of 89,800
All aboard the VE hype train 😍 here’s a little evolution of my VE setups
BACDD6F6-BA76-4C19-94A1-588D181F579D.jpeg
88B7A192-4F08-48F2-9704-C35920356B04.jpeg
I hate you so much right now.
tumblr_m14jfqX3v81r6qlgco1_400.gif

😜

Lovely collection. Now that all the reviewing dust has settled and if I ever have money again (my dog seems to eat money rather than homework), I would love to have a pair of VE5 CIEMs. Still the IEMs I have adored the most.
Broke 1K

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 6.19.19 PM.png

Seriously...What is this?
Let's face it, you're a star! 😅

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:42 AM Post #5,419 of 89,800
k.jpg

It is interesting though when I checked frequency response by Custom art and Kumitate Lab products they were basically all over the place. Do they have 3-4 or maybe even 5 different target frequency response?

Let me guess. The name of iem with red graph is called Torture Chamber, and green Gas Chamber?

Red is aimed to destroy you hearing and kick keep this hobby's population at bay.
Green, to to make you think that you already lost half of hearing and your head fi days are over.

Now this is sustainable business model!

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #5,420 of 89,800
LOL

Is it just me or even after all the Votex Campfire Audio craziness are you just really excited for new things from Campfire Audio?!??!

I recently purchased the Onyx and I love this IEM. After seeing some heavily discounted IEMs I just have a feeling they will be releasing some new things soon!

I know there is has been talk about Campfire Audio release/special edition fatigue, I however am enjoying the strangeness. Keep Portland Weird I guess.

I for one am hoping Ken Ball @KB has listened to the Orilous Trailii (and more electrostatic drivers).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #5,421 of 89,800
Broke 1K

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 6.19.19 PM.png

Seriously...What is this?
Well it seems everyone's left Nic's Diner for Rock's Cooler. Probably because we grew tired of discussing the same 3 TOTL IEMs, and walking around in circles waiting for 64 Audio to join the party. This is more like a big house with lots of stuff happening, so if you want to talk cheap and dirty or rich and shiny, all without judgement, it's all here.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #5,422 of 89,800
Well it seems everyone's left Nic's Diner for Rock's Cooler. Probably because we grew tired of discussing the same 3 TOTL IEMs, and walking around in circles waiting for 64 Audio to join the party. This is more like a big house with lots of stuff happening, so if you want to talk cheap and dirty or rich and shiny, all without judgement, it's all here.
To be fair, you wouldn't get judged if you talked about IEMs of any price point on Nic's thread either. The title's just a title. :wink:

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #5,423 of 89,800
To be fair, you wouldn't get judged if you talked about IEMs of any price point on Nic's thread either. The title's just a title. :wink:
This is of course true. It just tends to focus the discussion on the high-end. I'm actually curious as to why that thread has gone from hero to zero lately. Probably because everyone's here and we don't feel like having the same conversations on multiple threads. Same goes for the 64 Audio and EE threads.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #5,424 of 89,800
This is of course true. It just tends to focus the discussion on the high-end. I'm actually curious as to why that thread has gone from hero to zero lately. Probably because everyone's here and we don't feel like having the same conversations on multiple threads. Same goes for the 64 Audio and EE threads.
Yeah, for sure. Plus, there haven't been a lot of new, high-profile releases lately, and that's when that thread's usually at its busiest. The hot items right now are the VE IEMs, and all the discussion on those is on the VE thread.

Dec 1, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #5,425 of 89,800
Landed...

20211201_113247.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #5,426 of 89,800
Finally heard from my Dunu Zen Pro order. It was just as I had expected. They were advertising IEMs that they did not have. Latest email is that they are shipping DHL today. We will see. Have decided to give my son my Dunu Zen and keep the Zen Pro for myself. Had a nice cash windfall yesterday so EXT is still on track for March at latest.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #5,427 of 89,800
So, after a couple of times that the delivery truck for some reason couldn't find my place , the IE900 are finally here. An hour of listening so far.
Some quick notes:
They are a bit bright leaning. Using Final Audio Epro tips for now.
M8 is definitely a better match over M15.
They sound most similar to IE300 out of my IEMs. Albeit more balanced and jacked up in technicalities. But that was expected.
Compared to Dorado, they sound overall more balanced, soundstage I think IE900 is wider. But the presentation is different. Dorado being more forward in Imaging.
My initial impression is that it works good with a variety of genres. But also maybe lacks a bit of character? I like the Dorado for being more unique. On the flip side the IE900 is the better all-rounder perhaps.
The bass is so so good. Hits hard when needed and very cleanly.
What I'll say is that it does electronic and more modern music really well. My library is limited in that regard , but a few songs form Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish and others sounded great. I think It's a good chance for me to delve more in modern music.
That's all I got for now.😊

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #5,428 of 89,800
So, after a couple of times that the delivery truck for some reason couldn't find my place , the IE900 are finally here. An hour of listening so far.
Some quick notes:
They sound most similar to IE300 out of my IEMs. Albeit more balanced and jacked up in technicalities. But that was expected.
Compared to Dorado, they sound overall more balanced, soundstage I think IE900 is wider. But the presentation is different. Dorado being more forward in Imaging.
My initial impression is that it works good with a variety of genres. But also maybe lacks a bit of character? I like the Dorado for being more unique. On the flip side the IE900 is the better all-rounder perhaps.
What I'll say is that it does electronic and more modern music really well. My library is limited in that regard , but a few songs form Lana Del Rey and Billie Eilish and others sounded great. I think It's a good chance for me to delve more in modern music.
Great first impressions, and yes they generally align with how I hear them too. It's a brilliant IEM for modern music, and anything electronic. 'Brightness' is only really apparent to me when some vocals are involved, or when a track is bright to begin with. Try tip rolling to Acoustune AET07, or even the stock tips, as E Types will mess with the mids.

Dec 1, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #5,429 of 89,800
Different tuners have different approaches as well. Piotr from Custom Art and Ito-san from Kumitate Lab have both told me that the first thing they do is get the drivers to produce an imaginary target frequency response. So, they won't even hear it until that graph is achieved. Only after will they listen to the IEM and fine-tune it; work out the kinks. I believe Dean Vang from EE works like that as well. So, you could say that, most of the time, it starts as a science, before slowly transitioning into art.

I like to imagine that Rao from Oriolus begins his process by listening to the songbirds :)

This is kind of what I was thinking-- people who pursue Harman-type tunings fall on the "it's a little more of a science than an art" side of the spectrum.

I hate you so much right now.
tumblr_m14jfqX3v81r6qlgco1_400.gif

😜

Lovely collection. Now that all the reviewing dust has settled and if I ever have money again (my dog seems to eat money rather than homework), I would love to have a pair of VE5 CIEMs. Still the IEMs I have adored the most.

Let's face it, you're a star! 😅

lol I don't know about that, but that dog is adorable and I'd love to hear the VE5 :)

I for one am hoping Ken Ball @KB has listened to the Orilous Trailii (and more electrostatic drivers).

I had an intuition that they'd be releasing something new soon...but with supply chain issues being as they have been lately I don't know what to expect these days. I'm honestly almost kind of burnt out from all the IEMs I've got coming in and have been through and just want to settle for a while until I'm able to demo/purchase the EXT.

This is more like a big house with lots of stuff happening, so if you want to talk cheap and dirty or rich and shiny, all without judgement, it's all here.

That's the idea :D

Indeed however it did/does seem to have a focus on the "best of the best"...for what it's worth my aim with this place was never to usurp or replace the Nic thread so much as provide a place for more general "anything goes" discussion with perhaps more of a focus on the mid-fi tier that I tend to occupy. I'm really grateful for how it's turned out though, due entirely to contributions by yourself and others.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #5,430 of 89,800
Some quick notes:

Nice...thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back