The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #5,401 of 91,343
Or maybe there's a 4Chan campaign to use this thread to crash the HF servers.

Joking aside I could see "random lurkers" at peak hours resulting in ~1-200 guests...1K just seems absurd...like a combination of bots and an algorithm somewhere that's gone berserk.
I wonder if there's a Cyber Monday effect maybe? People interested in late deals entering their dream IEMs many of which must have been mentioned quite a few times on this thread. And many have them in their signatures as well.

I couldn't find stats for the most active threads on Head-Fi unfortunately. Historically yes, but not for the current month.

drftr

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #5,402 of 91,343
Hellooooo EXT, some of the best quality bass available imo.

I gather that...but It's not a basshead IEM though (or is it?).

This got me thinking of different companies collaborating together.

I would love to see VE & Oriolus collaborate on an IEM. (Or VE & Campfire...or VE & 64....or Oriolus & Campfire...). What are some collaborations you would like to see?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #5,404 of 91,343
It’s pretty damn bassy, its not crazy levels like LX but it should satisfy anyones bass needs.

I was thinking I'd like to see them do a true basshead IEM...but that's not really what they're about...so I started thinking about different collaborations that might be interesting.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #5,405 of 91,343
It’s just another SP2000 :) I sold my first Copper unit and replaced it with an Onyx version. I missed those AK mids!
Oh yeah, I forget they made an Onyx SS version. It looks great. I am a sucker for black anodized.

Nov 30, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #5,407 of 91,343
And now... the thread to watch while we talk about the people who watch the thread thread.

Looks like the SP2000T, or a member of Stryper.
Good Lord... Saw those guys live at a metal festival in probably 1984-85 or so. The whole audience started boo-ing when they entered the stage after some trash and death metal bands. But after 5 minutes everyone became very very quiet as these guys could actually play! They took the audience by surprise is an understatement. Loved it.

drftr

Nov 30, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #5,408 of 91,343
I missed those AK mids!

25MKii is my first AK player (2.5 has kept me away thus far) but I'm really really liking it so far-- it's got a very balanced, smooth & resolving sound that's rather addicting and a nice contrast from the bombast & grandness of the M8.

Here is what I have on hand this eve:

C81F86E7-27BC-442A-A785-E34A3D11D1A1.JPEG

In other news I thought of an interesting philosophical question relating to this hobby: do you think IEM tuning is more art or more science (it's obviously a combination of both)?

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #5,411 of 91,343
In other news I thought of an interesting philosophical question relating to this hobby: do you think IEM tuning is more art or more science (it's obviously a combination of both)?
Some people may call the tuning (IEM) a science. I personally don't think so. Tuning earphone is a matter of taste like chef adding or mixing ingredients to create a bowl of ramen. If enough people appreciate the taste of it, they would call it as the art of cooking.

However I acknowledge that there is a blurry distinction between art (tuning) and craftsmanship (transducer selection, crossover implementation, enclosure design etc.) in the voicing aspect of an IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #5,412 of 91,343
Some people may call the tuning (IEM) a science. I personally don't think so. Tuning earphone is a matter of taste like chef adding or mixing ingredients to create a bowl of ramen. If enough people appreciate the taste of it, they would call it as the art of cooking.

However I acknowledge that there is a blurry distinction between art (tuning) and craftsmanship (transducer selection, crossover implementation, enclosure design etc.) in the voicing aspect of an IEM.
Different tuners have different approaches as well. Piotr from Custom Art and Ito-san from Kumitate Lab have both told me that the first thing they do is get the drivers to produce an imaginary target frequency response. So, they won't even hear it until that graph is achieved. Only after will they listen to the IEM and fine-tune it; work out the kinks. I believe Dean Vang from EE works like that as well. So, you could say that, most of the time, it starts as a science, before slowly transitioning into art.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #5,413 of 91,343
Different tuners have different approaches as well. Piotr from Custom Art and Ito-san from Kumitate Lab have both told me that the first thing they do is get the drivers to produce an imaginary target frequency response. So, they won't even hear it until that graph is achieved. Only after will they listen to the IEM and fine-tune it; work out the kinks. I believe Dean Vang from EE works like that as well. So, you could say that, most of the time, it starts as a science, before slowly transitioning into art.
Really cool. I immediately think of architect’s doodling pen and inks prior to modeling, materials, and measurements.

Dec 1, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #5,415 of 91,343
That's fascinating! Sounds like putting together a floor plan and then checking that everything lives up to the expectations and up to spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back