The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #54,046 of 88,336
Thanks for the recommendation :) Is there a good video on how to properly change these modules? My Rn6 came with the red module, would like to try gold later.

Minidisc had a clip of removing a module in his FiR Frontier review and Bodgen mentioned about posting a module swapping video, but have not seen one yet. I could also video or photo a rudimentary swap later this morning.

Couple of quick notes:

- Recommend swapping over a dark colored microfiber cloth or soft surface to reduce the possibility of a module bouncing away, LOL
- Atom XS modules are physically threaded and the threads are there to help back the module out of the IEM shell's receiving pipe
- The receiving pipe in the IEM shell is a "soft thread", meaning it has no threads and can't strip, so no worries
– You can use the module tool to insert the module into the receiving pipe and then simply press the module in until it's flush with the shell

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #54,047 of 88,336
Any chance you can measure these? I am thinking about buying one. Reading his blog was a blast for IEM geek like myself, but I want to see the graph to at least have an idea before jumping in.

Your description of soundstage is not very reassuring to me though :thinking:
Sadly, I dont have a coupler but an easy way to picture sound stage is if your movie theather has IMAX, its concert hall like for huge artists.

LOAK-TC is more of the smaller theather where they show older movies, smaller venue for up coming artist.

I'm sure the LOAK-OP with open back will increase the stage and airiness. But i find the TC soundstage not lacking due to they way its tuned makes it a more intimate and romantic. Btw this was OOTB impressions, sound should improve with burn-in once the DD losens up a bit.

EDIT1: Its perfect for rock, hip hop, r&b, pop, acoustics, eastern and western music.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #54,048 of 88,336
OMG my previous thought about Le Jardin is completely wrong!!! As personally I never really liked Azla Xlastec tips, so as soon as I first got Le Jardin I switched to SednarEarFit and W1 and found the sets are really lack of fine details and have kinda weird tuning and so on. So, I think SQ wise it's one league below Trailli + Orphes set.

So, I ended up leave them in the box without touching them till 3 days ago. And for some reason I think maybe let just try Xlastec just for fun and turned out that the bone conduction driver effect now kicks in and the tonal balance are now balanced on.

Now it's really brought these set to something like league or half above the Trailli + Orpheus combo. The details, the dimension, the holographic and 3D'ness and the vocal never heard something so surreal like this especially on vocal it's really like I'm there with the singers themselves.

Just want to share my thought here. And feel like it's didn't fare that I was previously bashing UM Le Jardin for their SQ in my previous comments.

Attachments

• trailli-le-jardin.jpg
    trailli-le-jardin.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #54,049 of 88,336
If this is anything like the Araceae album you posted in the "what are you listening to thread" then I'm in. I don't know the genre well but do like starting my day with ambient on occasion and Nothing Will Last is pure transcendence.

It’s in a similar ambient family and more subdued, but I’d say equally transcendent.

Definitely worth checking out more from the ‘Faint’ label that Nothing Will Last was released on - a huge favourite of mine from a few years ago and still gets regular listens:

Mar 29, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #54,050 of 88,336
Minidisc had a clip of removing a module in his FiR Frontier review and Bodgen mentioned about posting a module swapping video, but have not seen one yet. I could also video or photo a rudimentary swap later this morning.

Couple of quick notes:

- Recommend swapping over a dark colored microfiber cloth or soft surface to reduce the possibility of a module bouncing away, LOL
- Atom XS modules are physically threaded and the threads are there to help back the module out of the IEM shell's receiving pipe
- The receiving pipe in the shell is a "soft thread" – has no threads and can't strip, so no worries
– You can use the module tool to insert the module into the receiving pipe and then simply press the module in until it's flush with the shell

@metaljem77 Here's my poor hand model, lighting, etc quick-n-dirty ATOM XS swap video:

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #54,051 of 88,336
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #54,053 of 88,336
Thank you so much! 🥰🙏🏻

My pleasure! 🥳

Surprisingly module swapping was smoother with Rn6 than Xe6, LOL.

Removing is a straightforward as:

1. Insert tool into module, turning counter clockwise while gently pulling out
2. You could use a silicone tipped tweezers or if long enough finger nails to extract the module about half way out, or continue to turn counter clockwise

Inserting:

1. Insert tool into module, align with receiving pipe and use gentle pressure to insert
2. Turn clockwise with gentle insertion pressure until a quarter of or half of the module is in the receiving pipe
3. You can use your finger to press the remainder of the module until it's just slightly sticking out or flush with IEM

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #54,054 of 88,336
@metaljem77 Here's my poor hand model, lighting, etc quick-n-dirty ATOM XS swap video:

Good Video! It's a functional mechanism, however I would say the process of swapping the 64 Audio Apex Modules is designed even better :)

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #54,055 of 88,336
Good Video! It's a functional mechanism, however I would say the process of swapping the 64 Audio Apex Modules is designed even better :)

Agree. Though I don't find myself swapping modules that often or at all on Xe6, but more so with Rn6.

It's unfortunate that the full sized ATOM X modules (same/similar design as 64) are relegated to FiR's custom IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #54,056 of 88,336
Helpful video @Auricon! You make a fine hand model haha.

I do prefer the ease of swapping the larger Atom XL modules on the 64 Audio IEMs but am finally pretty comfortable swapping the Atom XS modules in the FiR UIEMs now that I've done it a handful of times. I will say, it's nice that the faceplate on the FiR UIEMs is just that and you don't have a module as part of outward facing surface. FiR's Frontier faceplates are stunning IMO and having them full frontal with no module visible is nice. Keeps the aesthetic clean, especially with the red module which can throw off the colorway balance of the IEM (like on the Nio). Not that any of this matters when they're stuck in your ears :smiley:

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #54,057 of 88,336
Agree. Though I don't find myself swapping modules that often or at all on Xe6, but more so with Rn6.

It's unfortunate that the full sized ATOM X modules (same/similar design as 64) are relegated to FiR's custom IEMs.

The ATOM X in the FiR CIEMs are actually smaller modules than APEX/ATOM XL, but it’s definitely the same concept whereas replacing the ATOM XS is a bit of a headache.

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #54,058 of 88,336
Very difficult question: who can tell me the differences (if you have had the opportunity to listen to them and not based on the graphs....) between Ragnar and Storm?

Thank.

Just a hot take but based on memory Ragnar is brighter. Storm is more balanced and even keeled across the board. Ragnar has that DD bass but Storm has better tuning in the bass imho.

Found this on Reddit. I would place source a lot higher. Probably just below music/recording. I also don't think unit variation is anywhere near that bad. Cables and burn in get short shrift here too imho. But it really amazes me how little stock some folks put in the importance of source.

efu0kicp1jqa1.png

I've been enjoying this sublime pairup today. LP6 really elevates everything plugged into it. Even without that though Supermoon remains one of the biggest players in the sub-$2k bracket imho.

IMG_5430.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #54,059 of 88,336
The ATOM X in the FiR CIEMs are actually smaller modules than APEX/ATOM XL, but it’s definitely the same concept whereas replacing the ATOM XS is a bit of a headache.

Thank you for the clarification :blush:

Mar 29, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #54,060 of 88,336

You should send that to Fir. When I was talking to Vlad in NYC he said they were going to make a video showing exactly this. Now that you have maybe they don't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back