The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #52,006 of 89,994
Haha, N7 is definitely a keeper at least for me and I’m selective in regards to buying DAPs. Hopefully your N7 will stick around 9-10 months which was the time Diginis and Cayin offered new cases for the N8ii.
I gotta hear this N7!!

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #52,009 of 89,994
I love stock as well, its the stock is brighter than yatono 8w, but as you know yatono 8w provides an incredible soundstage and stunning sub-bass, I found the Yatono 8w is even better than my First time shielding ( both are flagship-level copper cable, I appreciate the dark background while using both cables, but Yatono 8w has a bit more detail and a more relax tuning, in my opinion. )
This and the new a silver are on my radar for 2023. Brise is definitely one of those cables that justify commanding their price tag.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #52,010 of 89,994
Semi-off-topic, but has anyone here ever used Affirm for multi-kilobuck iem purchases? Bloom and a number of other retailers offer it for payment plans. Anybody ever have issues with it (affecting credit score for example) or is it considered the way to go? I'd do paypal pay in 4 but most IEMs I've looked at fall outside the $1500 cap for it.
It would lean into your credit utilization ratio which can affect your score. It should be should be fine as long as you're making payments on time. However, even with 0% APR you would save more money buying new from dealers using cash / debit / credit card because you can negotiate discounts. You would pay for it up front but total amount would be lower. Based on the vendors I've spoken with, you have to pay the full MSRP with Affirm divided into monthly installments.

Buying like new from trusted members on Headfi is an even cheaper option but added risk of receiving a faulty product.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #52,011 of 89,994
I put a 3.5 cable on my Trifecta for the very first time today. Gonna give the 1/4" port on my LP6 a go. I gotta say it's quite satisfying (if a bit overkill) to plug one of these jacks into the player.

54882237-20BD-406B-A1B1-DD374315E62D.JPEG

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #52,012 of 89,994
This and the new a silver are on my radar for 2023. Brise is definitely one of those cables that justify commanding their price tag.
Totally agree, its like almost a thousand cheaper than the FTS

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #52,013 of 89,994
Wish it was so. But like every luxury item with the exception of art and historical pieces, IEMs are not part of that asset class.

I have not seen any IEM appreciate in value even those limited edition ones. 🫠
He's not mistaken. Tech ages in dog years, especially nowadays with all the recent leaps. There are plenty of couple year or even few year IEMs that sound good still, and ample deals on the classifieds, but it highlights the larger point, which is that this stuff always depreciates. Which is why I pretty much never buy to sell. Last year's medical expenses weren't exactly anticipated, or I'd have kept my Evos. I am getting more comfortable with the idea of rotating out gear though, but even then it's seldom. I plan a lot more these days, which is why I'm always browsing and asking questions. Research first, buy later. I can't afford several IEM impulse buying, so CanJam was a major treat for me to satiate a lot of curiosity I'd had. It was money saved on Mentor, that's for sure.

I got into payment plans with Sideshow back in the day. Made planning for hot toys a lot easier. I got out of the hobby because I'd have a $20 nrfd, then 6 figures would drop unexpectedly in a month after multiple delays and I'd get hit with a $1500 bill. If I had to I could put stuff on the credit card, but Affirm promises 6 payments at zero interest and it'll make budgeting easier. I appreciate the advice about budget and spending, but I really was just asking if anyone had experience with that particular service, since I see a lot of vendors offering it.

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #52,015 of 89,994
Semi-off-topic, but has anyone here ever used Affirm for multi-kilobuck iem purchases? Bloom and a number of other retailers offer it for payment plans. Anybody ever have issues with it (affecting credit score for example) or is it considered the way to go? I'd do paypal pay in 4 but most IEMs I've looked at fall outside the $1500 cap for it.

Never borrow or make payments on a "luxury" liability. It's better to save up for it or enjoy the IEMs you current have and can afford.

The laws of diminishing returns starts to widen past $1,000, IMO.

Buying something now and taking a chunk of savings or make payments, but a much smaller hit to savings… there’s not much of a difference depending on how your money is saved. But payments at 0% ? Why wouldn’t you do it?

There’s plenty of stuff that you could make payments on due to price. Cars, apartment furnishings, mattresses, etc. Personally I don’t like the idea of that much cash leaving my account on one go unless it’s absolutely necessary ( like a laptop to do my job) but ymmv. If anything I’d rather finance a luxury liability just because I’m free to use the remaining funds elsewhere (like investing, savings, etc)

And using Affirm, it won’t affect your credit but anything wrong with the delivery or need to return and things can get sticky. Just use a credit card, some credit cards nowadays have special programs for big purchases which essentially does what Affirm does.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #52,016 of 89,994
I sometimes do just because psychologically it's easier to swallow than one large payment, I know I'm just fooling myself. :confused: I always choose the no-interest option and sign up for auto-payments as well. It also makes it easier to slip a large purchase past the significant other if she's not looking at my statements every month. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 11, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #52,017 of 89,994
Based on the vendors I've spoken with, you have to pay the full MSRP with Affirm divided into monthly installments.

I can see that for a “cash” offer, but merchants have to pay a service fee, which is a percentage of the transaction, for any transaction that isn’t cash. Some credit cards charge more than normal, so that’s why you see some places take certain payment methods and not others.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #52,018 of 89,994
It would lean into your credit utilization ratio which can affect your score. It should be should be fine as long as you're making payments on time. However, even with 0% APR you would save more money buying new from dealers using cash / debit / credit card because you can negotiate discounts. You would pay for it up front but total amount would be lower. Based on the vendors I've spoken with, you have to pay the full MSRP with Affirm divided into monthly installments.

Buying like new from trusted members on Headfi is an even cheaper option but added risk of receiving a faulty product.
Use PayPal G&S to minimize risk of faulty items from used gear section. However chances of receiving faulty gear is less if you buy from trusted members.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #52,019 of 89,994
It also makes it easier to slip a large purchase past the significant other if she's not looking at my statements every month. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Ha ha! Reminded me of this.

R (1).jpg

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #52,020 of 89,994
Fat fingered.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back