The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #52,021 of 91,358
I sometimes do just because psychologically it's easier to swallow than one large payment, I know I'm just fooling myself. :confused: I always choose the no-interest option and sign up for auto-payments as well. It also makes it easier to slip a large purchase past the significant other if she's not looking at my statements every month. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Literally this.
Use PayPal G&S to minimize risk of faulty items from used gear section. However chances of receiving faulty gear is less if you buy from trusted members.
No, agreed, this would be for new items from a known company. I've seen the way reputable vendors and these smaller companies treat their customers, I'm not worried at all about them making right on the unlikely possibility there is an issue.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #52,022 of 91,358
Semi-off-topic, but has anyone here ever used Affirm for multi-kilobuck iem purchases? Bloom and a number of other retailers offer it for payment plans. Anybody ever have issues with it (affecting credit score for example) or is it considered the way to go? I'd do paypal pay in 4 but most IEMs I've looked at fall outside the $1500 cap for it.

I haven't used Affirm for kilobuck purchases but am familiar with its services. With interest rates as high as they are, you may be better off qualifying for a low rate personal loan from a local credit union – more hoops to jump through and will impact your credit short term.

Affirm loan terms vary by merchant, meaning your repayment options (ranges from three to 60 months) and annual percentage rate (may charge up to 30%, YIKES) will depend on where you shop. Payments are due month, with the first payment due one month after your purchase is processed. You may have to make an initial payment at checkout if you don't qualify for the full loan amount.

Affirm will display all available repayment terms when you check out. Longer term loans means lower monthly payments, though you'll pay more in interest.

Affirm checks your credit with an Experian and sometimes Transunion or both soft credit pull, which doesn't impact your credit score. Loan approval decisions are instantaneous. Affirm will consider your credit score, as well as any prior payment history with Affirm (including loans your may have outstand) and how long you've had an Affirm account. Affirm also looks at your credit utilization, income, existing debt and any recent bankruptcies.

Affirm is a GOOD option if you:
- Are offered a zero-interest loan – some merchants like Amazon offer zero-interest financing.
- Don't qualify for a credit card – qualifying for a BNPL plan could be easier than qualifying for a credit credit, especially for borrowers who don't have an established credit history. Affirm never conducts a hard credit check and considers other data besides your credit score when deciding whether to approval or deny you for a loan

Affirm is NOT A GOOD option if you:
- Want to use a BNPL plan to build credit – Affirms reports repayment history to Experian for some of its loans, but it isn't guaranteed.
- Struggle to keep track of expenses – payment plans work best for borrowers who are certain they can keep up with the installments. Affirm will send borrowers to collections if you're more than 120 days delinquent, so there's consequences for your credit if you fall behind.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #52,023 of 91,358
PayPal offers affirm like payment options now at lower %. but I typically do it for 0% apr or very low rates at lesser payments also affirm doesn't show up on credit cards what they do is freeze your affirm so you can't use it until you pay up.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #52,024 of 91,358
I haven't used Affirm for kilobuck purchases but am familiar with its services. With interest rates as high as they are, you may be better off qualifying for a low rate personal loan from a local credit union – more hoops to jump through and will impact your credit short term.

Affirm loan terms vary by merchant, meaning your repayment options (ranges from three to 60 months) and annual percentage rate (may charge up to 30%, YIKES) will depend on where you shop. Payments are due month, with the first payment due one month after your purchase is processed. You may have to make an initial payment at checkout if you don't qualify for the full loan amount.

Affirm will display all available repayment terms when you check out. Longer term loans means lower monthly payments, though you'll pay more in interest.

Affirm checks your credit with an Experian and sometimes Transunion or both soft credit pull, which doesn't impact your credit score. Loan approval decisions are instantaneous. Affirm will consider your credit score, as well as any prior payment history with Affirm (including loans your may have outstand) and how long you've had an Affirm account. Affirm also looks at your credit utilization, income, existing debt and any recent bankruptcies.

- Are offered a zero-interest loan – some merchants like Amazon offer zero-interest financing.
- Don't qualify for a credit card – qualifying for a BNPL plan could be easier than qualifying for a credit credit, especially for borrowers who don't have an established credit history. Affirm never conducts a hard credit check and considers other data besides your credit score when deciding whether to approval or deny you for a loan

- Want to use a BNPL plan to build credit – Affirms reports repayment history to Experian for some of its loans, but it isn't guaranteed.
- Struggle to keep track of expenses – payment plans work best for borrowers who are certain they can keep up with the installments. Affirm will send borrowers to collections if you're more than 120 days delinquent, so there's consequences for your credit if you fall behind.
Frigging invaluable reply here, thank you. What I was afraid of. Looks like this'll be a credit card situation then. Definitely paranoid about anything affecting credit score right now, as wife and I have to plan a move in the near future, likely to another rental, but maybe not.

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #52,026 of 91,358
Frigging invaluable reply here, thank you. What I was afraid of. Looks like this'll be a credit card situation then. Definitely paranoid about anything affecting credit score right now, as wife and I have to plan a move in the near future, likely to another rental, but maybe not.

For science, visited FiR Audio just moments ago:
  • Did test check out for another FiR Rn6
  • Opted for Affirm payment and offered loans up to 36 months
  • 0% pay-in-four, 6 and 12 months
  • 24 month loan with an APR of 14%
  • 36 month loan with an APR of 16%
Confirms FiR's Affirm repayment loans maxes at 36 months.

I'm also cautious with my credit and have all of my credit reporting access frozen with all 3 agencies – Experian, TransUnion and Equifax. I would definitely post pone anything that could affect your credit especially if you're moving.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #52,027 of 91,358
I think there is a degree of good enough where you won't feel like you're lacking compared to the highest-end sets. But, it definitely takes listening to the latter first to get a grasp of how good things can get.
I’ve been learning this first hand with the Phonix tour kit the last week or so, and gotten a much deeper appreciation for sets that can resolve detail at the highest level. I think for me I can forgive some of the timbre issues all-BA sets can have as a trade off for high quality detail that creates a sound image that I can get lost in. Now whether that is worth paying Phonix pricing for vs the A12t or Andro2020 is something I’m not quite sure yet..
If you disable bitperfect you can't play MQA in UAPP.
…that’s why I qualified the statement with “of course” 😉
U12T's bass is *chef kiss*. Punchy, rumbly, and textured. (This is with M15 module).
💯. Rumbles much better than Phonix, which is another reason Phonix may not ultimately be something I’d want to own.
Using a 1/4" jack with IEMs will seem like overkill lmao.
I put a 3.5 cable on my Trifecta for the very first time today. Gonna give the 1/4" port on my LP6 a go. I gotta say it's quite satisfying (if a bit overkill) to plug one of these jacks into the player.

54882237-20BD-406B-A1B1-DD374315E62D.JPEG
You are getting horribly close to using your IEMs with a (gasp!) desktop amp 🤭

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #52,028 of 91,358
Rumbles much better than Phonix, which is another reason Phonix may not ultimately be something I’d want to own.
Wait until you hear the Phonix Le

Mar 11, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #52,029 of 91,358
Use PayPal G&S to minimize risk of faulty items from used gear section. However chances of receiving faulty gear is less if you buy from trusted members.

Agreed. I haven't had a problem so far on Headfi by vetting sellers or buying from friends. There's still a small element of risk from external factors like mishandled shipping or packages going missing. There's more security buying from retailers that go through this process on a day to day basis. Also warranty support is more likely should you identify a problem months later. If the price of a re-sale was similar to a retailer, I would choose the retailer every time.

Never borrow or make payments on a "luxury" liability. It's better to save up for it or enjoy the IEMs you current have and can afford.

The laws of diminishing returns starts to widen past $1,000, IMO.

This reminds me of how phone salesmen or car dealerships entice customers by pushing a "low" monthly payment when in reality customers are usually paying a higher net price. There's some situations where buying a luxury product on a monthly plan (at low APR) is worth it if it's a sought out rising commodity like Rolexes pre 2020. In most situations, you're better off waiting to buy new at a discount or waiting until the resale price drops.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #52,030 of 91,358
This and the new a silver are on my radar for 2023. Brise is definitely one of those cables that justify commanding their price tag.
I was pleasantly surprised and greatly impressed by the sonic difference the Yanoto 8 Wire made when I demoed it. Of all the cables I've tried it would undoubtedly be my preferred option to test any cable non-believer's faith. Or lack of faith - you know what I mean.

The Yanoto 8 would probably pair brilliantly with something like the A8000s, which the Yanoto could smooth out along with widening their relatively narrow stage. However the Yanoto didn't synergise quite as well with my Impacts which are smooth enough for my taste already, but a silver version with more treble sparkle.... oh yes.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #52,031 of 91,358

"Affirm will send borrowers to collections if you're more than 120 days delinquent, so there's consequences for your credit if you fall behind." I didn't know this where is this located on their site ?

Also none of my affirm loans have ever been reported to any credit bureaus. I would know since I've accumulated $20k+ from my years of using affirm and over $5k at one time.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #52,032 of 91,358
affirm may be attractive to me only because it can hide a large purchase from my wife's attention.

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #52,033 of 91,358
Had a mini adventure around in downtown Vancouver 🚶. A shower thought I had was how awesome it is to be able to use my audio gear while sight seeing.

ECC70B5A-C5B3-4AFF-B4B3-AE2CFD3A3B77.jpeg

The top right corner is what I recently posted about (Vancouvers revolving restaurant). It was nice to vibrancy returning to the city. More people out and about. Shops closing later compared during mid pandemic.

"Canada Goose" in Olympic village 😆.

14F85915-B17B-4FE2-ABCB-F7C3F9F2E4F1.jpeg

My main rotation while watching the waves crash in False Creek:
2D5BE44D-1E64-4866-BD3D-2C739C891CF9.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #52,034 of 91,358
Had a mini adventure around in downtown Vancouver 🚶. A shower thought I had was how awesome it is to be able to use my audio gear while sight seeing.

ECC70B5A-C5B3-4AFF-B4B3-AE2CFD3A3B77.jpeg

The top right corner is what I recently posted about (Vancouvers revolving restaurant). It was nice to vibrancy returning to the city. More people out and about shops opening later compared during mid pandemic.

"Canada Goose" in Olympic village 😆.

14F85915-B17B-4FE2-ABCB-F7C3F9F2E4F1.jpeg

My main rotation while watching the waves in False Creek:
2D5BE44D-1E64-4866-BD3D-2C739C891CF9.jpeg
XD can't wait for my xe6 :)

Mar 11, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #52,035 of 91,358
"Affirm will send borrowers to collections if you're more than 120 days delinquent, so there's consequences for your credit if you fall behind." I didn't know this where is this located on their site ?

Also none of my affirm loans have ever been reported to any credit bureaus. I would know since I've accumulated $20k+ from my years of using affirm and over $5k at one time.

Ja, the majority of Affirm loans are NOT reported to credit bureaus – all of mine have also never been reported.

Collections isn't posted on their site but in your loan's Truth in Lending Disclosure under sections Failure to Pay as Required and Collections. In the Affirm app:

- tap Manage
- tap any Current or Past loans
- tap Details tab > Loan Terms link

Here's an example of a past Samsung Affirm pay-in-four TIL:

Failure to Pay as Required
a. Default. If you do not pay the full amount of each monthly payment on or before the date it is due, you will be in default.
b. Notice of Default. If you are in default, the Payment Agreement Holder may, subject to applicable law, send you a notice telling you that if you do not pay the overdue amount by a certain date, the PAH may require you to pay immediate the full amount of your Payment Agreement.
etc

Collection
You agree that if you fail to pay any amount owned on the Payment Agreement then the PAH may engage in collection efforts to recover those amounts. These collection efforts involve contacting you directly, submitting your information to a collection agency, or taking legal action.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back