The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 20, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #49,396 of 89,412
Well water cooler talk is where we hang out and do causal talks. I wouldn’t expect only quality content this thread. We can always search for information here.

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #49,397 of 89,412
Well water cooler talk is where we hang out and do causal talks. I wouldn’t expect only quality content this thread. We can always search for information here.

There is a natural balance of "signal and noise" here (by design)-- the point @MatW was making is that we shouldn't artificially increase the noise level just for imaginary internet points. Just let the conversation flow naturally.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #49,398 of 89,412
Solaris Stellar Horizon

Can't wait to hear this one.

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 11.04.45 AM.png

This too:

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 11.10.07 AM.png

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #49,399 of 89,412
Add to home screen is the same thing.

Either way, it doesn't actually install an app, it really just creates a home screen short cut that opens chrome directly to head-fi.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #49,401 of 89,412
Many Maestro SEs in the toplists from today. How would you owners describe the treble region of the MSEs?

I should be able to answer that question by this time tomorrow.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #49,403 of 89,412
Many Maestro SEs in the toplists from today. How would you owners describe the treble region of the MSEs?
I really disliked it. Was super sharp and hurtful to my ears, with both switch settings. Snares hurt my ears as well with mids boost on.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #49,405 of 89,412
Different model maybe? Maestro SE has no switches.
Ah sorry that was the Mezzo, but they both hurt my ears in the same way. Maestro also with snares and Ss and Ts.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #49,406 of 89,412
Ah sorry that was the Mezzo, but they both hurt my ears in the same way. Maestro also with snares and Ss and Ts.

It seems really prone to insertion depth differences. On the universal (and even back in my impressions post) I had mentioned that it can be "overly transparent" with certain tracks, I noticed sibilance around some female vocals on tracks that already seem to ride the line there. Most notable on "Blame Myself" by Illenium and "IOU" by Jason Ross, those vocals were a bit too zingy for me around S replay. That entire issue is completely gone with the CIEM, and it's not a small difference either. I messaged FatFreq and asked them about it and essentially they said MSE is designed for a deep fit, and I think for some users that may be difficult because it's quite bulgy by the nozzle. I guess they have better control over this on a CIEM fit.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #49,407 of 89,412
I should be able to answer that question by this time tomorrow.
Looking forward to your impressions!!

More laid back in the FR but good resolution and detail, just not the up front / in your face type treble.

Thank you. Comparing graphs with the Odins, the MSE seems to have more energy in the 5-10k region with a huge spike at about 8k. Also more energy above 10k which could be a result of this hard-to-measure area. But if you say it is laid back, than I shouldn’t expect any air and sparkle, I guess :)

But the differences in the treble region will probably add to soundstage, right?

I read about sibilances in the MSE thread. But just like @aaf evo said, this should be much better with the custom version.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #49,408 of 89,412
Thank you. Comparing graphs with the Odins, the MSE seems to have more energy in the 5-10k region with a huge spike at about 8k. Also more energy above 10k which could be a result of this hard-to-measure area. But if you say it is laid back, than I shouldn’t expect any air and sparkle, I guess :)

But the differences in the treble region will probably add to soundstage, right?

Hmm I'd say it's got a pretty reasonable amount of air and sparkle, it's just not really where most of the focus is. When I listen to MSE I mostly am drawn to the sub bass and mids with the treble sitting back relatively speaking, but not to the extent of something like Aroma Jewel if you've heard that IEM.

Yeah, the dips and peaks in the FR definitely give the Maestro a really open soundstage, it's quite large.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #49,409 of 89,412
Hmm I'd say it's got a pretty reasonable amount of air and sparkle, it's just not really where most of the focus is. When I listen to MSE I mostly am drawn to the sub bass and mids with the treble sitting back relatively speaking, but not to the extent of something like Aroma Jewel if you've heard that IEM.

Yeah, the dips and peaks in the FR definitely give the Maestro a really open soundstage, it's quite large.
Thank you!! MSE is another IEM to think about :) (never had the chance to listen to Jewel btw.)

Actually I wanted to buy the VE EXT next. I fell absolutely in love with it’s sound signature. Best treble I’ve ever heard. I’m curious how it compares to the Annihilator. I found the rest of the spectrum also extremely pleasing. If it just wasn’t for the fit... It hurt my ears after 30 minutes or so :frowning2:

Maybe I just should give it a try, buy it and do some tip rolling, I’m not sure.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #49,410 of 89,412
I just received confirmation from Vlad fom Fir that they will eventually be sending me their new IEM for tour. Great news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back