The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Feb 8, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #48,301 of 91,357
Just happily sharing :) After I got UM LeJardin, I realised the magic of PW Audio shielded cables. And I just managed to grab a red UM First Times shielding from @Doug2507 for my Craft Ears Aurum+ (DD+4BA+4EST). Sounds absolutely magical, and I love the looks!
08C6E0D4-43D8-4597-A59C-C668A630CE5A_1_105_c.jpeg

Attachments

• 08C6E0D4-43D8-4597-A59C-C668A630CE5A_1_105_c.jpeg
    08C6E0D4-43D8-4597-A59C-C668A630CE5A_1_105_c.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #48,304 of 91,357
@twister6 Great review, ever consider a Hugo2 or better Chord DAC? I'm sure they'd send you a Hugo2 for review. I find it best for seeing the technical chops of a monitor.

Also I don't remember what oage it was kn but someone asked about Tube Amps with Jewel. I'm using CDM but CDM sounds different with different tubes. With my current tubes which are the stock tubes, I hear a slight loosening of subbass vs Hugo2, increased air and mid bass quantity, increased sound stage in all directions, slight rounding of the highest highs and the overall FR being pushed more into the warm natural tonality.

Feb 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #48,305 of 91,357
Phönix LE #005 arrived today. Looking forward to comparing them to the Phönix OG later this evening and over the coming weeks.

Attachments

• 58108BCA-28BE-41C8-AD2D-836C1B4AEB15.jpeg
    58108BCA-28BE-41C8-AD2D-836C1B4AEB15.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #48,307 of 91,357
Great to see all the 634ears love around here. Musashi is a super cool guy, so passionate about his craft. It's refreshing to go back to 'basics' with simple designs, natural materials and exceptional craftsmanship, stripping away the flash for some genuine artistry. I'm finally getting a chance to settle in with these guys, which I've had around for a while now, and very much look forward to sharing my impressions here soon.

634ears5.jpg
L to R: LOAK-TC (Closed) Copper, 9iNE Indian Rosewood, LOAK-TO (Open) Pink Ivory, 9iNE Zebrawood, LOAK-TC Cocobolo

Feb 8, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #48,308 of 91,357
Great to see all the 634ears love around here. Musashi is a super cool guy, so passionate about his craft. It's refreshing to go back to 'basics' with simple designs, natural materials and exceptional craftsmanship, stripping away the flash for some genuine artistry. I'm finally getting a chance to settle in with these guys, which I've had around for a while now, and very much look forward to sharing my impressions here soon.

634ears5.jpg
L to R: LOAK-TC (Closed) Copper, 9iNE Indian Rosewood, LOAK-TO (Open) Pink Ivory, 9iNE Zebrawood, LOAK-TC Cocobolo
Wow, those are interesting!

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #48,309 of 91,357

634ears5.jpg

Oh I like the idea of an open version of LOAK! Loak forward to your thoughts on the collection… beautiful shot.

See what I did there 😜

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #48,310 of 91,357
@twister6 Great review, ever consider a Hugo2 or better Chord DAC? I'm sure they'd send you a Hugo2 for review. I find it best for seeing the technical chops of a monitor.

Also I don't remember what oage it was kn but someone asked about Tube Amps with Jewel. I'm using CDM but CDM sounds different with different tubes. With my current tubes which are the stock tubes, I hear a slight loosening of subbass vs Hugo2, increased air and mid bass quantity, increased sound stage in all directions, slight rounding of the highest highs and the overall FR being pushed more into the warm natural tonality.

I'm more into portable setups and prefer not to deal with transportable DACs :) So for me, it's either my S22 with Final ZE8k (tws) or standalone DAP w/IEMs.

I have tried Mojo 2 at last CanJam NYC, and found it to be too dry and sterile for my taste (and heard original Mojo was rather warm tuned). Never tried Hugo2, but also heard many people suggest using it with an amp. Actually, Vishnu (@EagleWings) published an article on Tw6 about 3yrs ago about his experience with H2, though he is more vested into full size headphones.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #48,311 of 91,357
Phönix LE #005 arrived today. Looking forward to comparing them to the Phönix OG later this evening and over the coming weeks.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Feb 8, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #48,312 of 91,357
I'm more into portable setups and prefer not to deal with transportable DACs :) So for me, it's either my S22 with Final ZE8k (tws) or standalone DAP w/IEMs.

I have tried Mojo 2 at last CanJam NYC, and found it to be too dry and sterile for my taste (and heard original Mojo was rather warm tuned). Never tried Hugo2, but also heard many people suggest using it with an amp. Actually, Vishnu (@EagleWings) published an article on Tw6 about 3yrs ago about his experience with H2, though he is more vested into full size headphones.

I love how H2 tightens up the bass hits, giving them more impact. Great review, actually left my H2 at home today and my CDM lol =( but both Jewel, Xe6 and Kr5 sound great out of my laptop alone. If an IEM can's sound great out of a phone or laptop that's a problem. Still much preferring KR5 to Xe6 for technical reasons. Kr5 leaves nothing to be desired with it's bass response, interesting that people seem to prefer more bass over resolution( Xe6 over KR5).

Also looking forward to Phonix LE impressions, everything I've heard of VE is impressive. The midrange gods IMO, they have a wetness to their midrange that I haven't heard replicated. Probably my favorite company for tuning.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #48,313 of 91,357
I think you’ve got those cables on the wrong sides Claud…. Gotta say I do miss that combo.
Fixed that and they do sound better. It was your comments on that combo that influenced my purchase of the PS Copper +.
Comments on the CA Fabre 5 that is breaking in next week.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #48,314 of 91,357
Survey thought: Those of you who are searching-- what are you searching for? Something specific, or just the thrill and excitement of the search?

Feb 8, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #48,315 of 91,357
That's been my experience with the Evo as well!

Come for the bass, stay for the mids :)
Its a nice balanced combo to me. Being an old duffer, I do not hear much above 7KH so treble doesn't bother me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back