The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 24, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #44,102 of 88,350
Dec 24, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #44,103 of 88,350
@claud W how is the M6U vs. the M6 Pro? Are they similar in overall signature? IS the U a sufficient upgrade to justify it?

Dec 24, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #44,104 of 88,350
Have you actually been able to track down the first Kakegurui OST in lossless? I still have a CD gathering dust that I keep needing to rip. I wish they'd drop the full opening from Twin already, it's a fantastic jazz piece and I adore that plucked string opening:

It's available on Apple Music - Lossless

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #44,105 of 88,350
Have you actually been able to track down the first Kakegurui OST in lossless? I still have a CD gathering dust that I keep needing to rip. I wish they'd drop the full opening from Twin already, it's a fantastic jazz piece and I adore that plucked string opening:

Speaking of plucked string opening.... :joy:

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #44,106 of 88,350
@claud W how is the M6U vs. the M6 Pro? Are they similar in overall signature? IS the U a sufficient upgrade to justify it?
The M6 U sounds lots better than my M6 Pro 21. the U is full (4) of those nice new AKM chips. Over all, the U is warmer than the Pro 21, but a hair warmer than my M9. M9 also does resolving , stage and other techniques better than the rest of the Shanling line up. The M6 U is sort of an M8 but a hair less warm.
If I am going portable, the M6 U is the one I grab first.

Dec 24, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #44,107 of 88,350
No, just the xe6. My impression was the xe6 was the tip top, and the kr5 and ne4 were less detailed versions of that. Am I totally off base here?
Best way for you to figure this out is to give each of them the proper time to evaluate, I definitely needed to do this with Xe6 and Kr5, whereas I found Ne4 to be the more forgiving and I suppose conventional of the 3.

The elevated treble of the Kr5 gave me the impression of more detail than Xe6, but with that added emphasis my brain got confused on where to focus on the highs or on the bass, which led to a loss of coherency to my ears. It was like my attention was being pulled in 2 different directions and I couldn’t just let the music be music.

Xe6, however was a completely different story for me. I just absolutely loved it’s warm gushing bass once I got used to it after a few days, that then never failed to pull me into a narcotic-like trance, totally immersed in my music. For me, this is what listening to music is all about, and that’s why Xe6 will (eventually) be my next purchase.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #44,108 of 88,350
Best way for you to figure this out is to give each of them the proper time to evaluate, I definitely needed to do this with Xe6 and Kr5, whereas I found Ne4 to be the more forgiving and I suppose conventional of the 3.

The elevated treble of the Kr5 gave me the impression of more detail than Xe6, but with that added emphasis my brain got confused on where to focus on the highs or on the bass, which led to a loss of coherency to my ears. It was like my attention was being pulled in 2 different directions and I couldn’t just let the music be music.

Xe6, however was a completely different story for me. I just absolutely loved it’s warm gushing bass once I got used to it after a few days, that then never failed to pull me into a narcotic-like trance, totally immersed in my music. For me, this is what listening to music is all about, and that’s why Xe6 will (eventually) be my next purchase.
I'm liking the Xe6 a lot, and it's doing a lot of things right. To me, it ticks all the boxes from build quality to sound to customer service, and I genuinely want to support the company based on interactions alone. It's sort of what I've been after for some time, which is the raptgo hook x but better. There wasn't anything to me, though, this now being the fourth bone conduction set in a row I've heard, that made me go "I've never heard anything like this before"--for better or for worse. I like the tuning, and there's nothing I'm finding fault with. If I had one critique it'd be that I wish there was more of that wow factor in terms of bass impact that the evos had. They're funky and they've got some soul to them, but they're not the visceral gut punch I wish they were and believe they could be if, for example, you added a traditional bone conduction driver on top of their kinetic bass--which, in fairness, would likely defeat the entire point of the tubeless system.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #44,109 of 88,350
The M6 U sounds lots better than my M6 Pro 21. the U is full (4) of those nice new AKM chips. Over all, the U is warmer than the Pro 21, but a hair warmer than my M9. M9 also does resolving , stage and other techniques better than the rest of the Shanling line up. The M6 U is sort of an M8 but a hair less warm.
If I am going portable, the M6 U is the one I grab first.

The 21 is a different beast than my M6 Pro, having a Sabre chip. I just may need to go blind on the U to see...if by chance it works it would be a big win. I love Shanling sound and the size and form factor of the M6 line is perfect for me.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #44,110 of 88,350
No, just the xe6. My impression was the xe6 was the tip top, and the kr5 and ne4 were less detailed versions of that. Am I totally off base here?
XE6 and KR5 are different. Many prefer one or the other since their tuning is different. KR5 has different treble tuning and it does not have that estat ethereal quality (which I don't prefer) since it has no ESS drivers. When I first heard them, I thought that KR5 had more balanced tuning.

Ne4 is like a more relaxed version of XE6. They sound more similar than different to my ear.

Dec 24, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #44,111 of 88,350
I think I’ve decided on my next DD, I need to find a way to make it happen…

32D9AFB8-8C87-485A-802B-80072D5CAA7C.jpeg
Screenshot_20221224_210632_com.gspace.android-01.jpeg

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #44,112 of 88,350
You were there to witness the Buena Vista Social Club playing Chan Chan? Uber jealous!
To be honest, it was more fun and surprising than (any) good really. I think I walked into some kind of large family reunion in a restaurant kind of setting where the average was probably > 75 years old. Perhaps they paid homage to the people that put them on the map, had sponsered them, whatever. It was like they played for their collective aunts and uncles, and maybe they did. It wasn't a concert showing off how good they were, but more to show everyone there was equal and could have taken their place.

Only one thing left bothering me for which I can’t come up with excuses to stop thinking of not buying it - Multiverse Mentor.
The price is ridiculous though and I’m still not sure how it would overlap with Traillii.

Thoughts?
For me the only similarities they share is that they're awesome, mostly linear, and excellent in portraying room acoustics. But that's about it. Traillii sounds more open and inviting to me but less aggressive. That's good for a lot of music, just not for all. Mentor sounds much warmer, perhaps veiled, and on first impression you will probably shrug your shoulders at them. But prolonged listening makes you discover so many new things in music you thought you knew that you start thinking "Wait, how can this warm, boring tuning, without being very dynamic, and being light on both bass and treble sound so awesome?" Probably because they don't do anything wrong and don't distract you from your music. And I assume it's the BCD that creates a top notch experience PRaT-wise without you being able to point a finger at exactly what's going on.

Do you need both? If you have nothing but money, then Yes. But otherwise I would demo and possibly exchange, or count on time delivering a solution with an upgrade to either one and enjoy your Traillii until you feel it needs to go - if ever.

As my DD addiction doesn’t seem to be coming to a stop, I plan to put together an excel sheet to map the attributes of various sets. I’m thinking of the following headings, missing anything?
Linearity, texture, PRaT, and dynamic behaviour would be high on my own list, as the last 2 pull me into the music, while the first 2 can avoid that I'm distracted.

drftr

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #44,113 of 88,350
Just catching a Like from @Precogvision for my stat try out. Immediately noticed he never showed up on the bunch of pages that I checked although he certainly does chime in every now and then. One of the misses I warned you for. So...

Are you ready for this? I mean, really?

925 comments with 7,508 Likes makes it an 8.12 rating...

"Okay, that's it, let's pack up guys! We're going home..."

drftr

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #44,114 of 88,350
On the topic of likes I'm about to hit 40,000. Milestones, etc.

Dec 24, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #44,115 of 88,350
One more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back