The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 24, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #421 of 89,874

Oh man. She's one of my favourite singer. I went to see her live once. She has an amazing voice. :) Such a talent

I've had this rolling around in my head since you said it...it's an interesting and I think fruitful way to look at it. I'll probably come back to this idea later.
I was thinking of something more 'subliminal' and unconscious, and somewhat placebo-like. The idea is similar to that we not only 'hear' with our ears. But other sensors as well. It's fun to think about this

(Consider also that humans rely so much more on visual cues, than other mammals which have relatively much stronger sense of hearing and smell. It's fascinating how humans evolved favoring visual acuity over smell or hearing)

An example, food dressing and meal arrangement. We seem to also 'taste' with our eyes. Most probably that's the sensor we use first before eating. We see color and shapes, and derive from that information the likelihood of a fruit being ripe or meat fresh. And then we use smell to confirm our findings to increase our guess accuracy so we don't eat spoiled food and get sick (e.g. bats). Then we memorize which food is more safe than not, and pass that finding to others

I'm trying to understand how electronic signal conducted through a wire could change depending on wire type, size, braiding, etc. out of curiosity:
1) How a signal transmitted from a particular cable differ from another
2) How that difference is significant enough to affect the way the transducer convert it into sound wave
3) How a copper material often increased perceived 'warmth' in the sound (silver -> 'brightness')

Does it have something to do with having lesser signal loss and external noise? (i.e. having 'dirty' or 'clean' analog signal). I learned that from radio waves, objects may obstruct its transmission path, reduce signal strength, and cause some sort of static sound intrusion in the audio output. If that's the case, I can see how a lower quality cable may sound more fuzzy, than a higer quality one. A change in terms of resolution/fidelity, but not sound character.

I tested several cables during my visit at the store today (ranging from $80 to 2900, copper to mixed). Using my custom Prelude, which I'm familiar with and have listened to for 3 years or so. Since it's a custom, insertion depth, and tips' influence to sound were slightly lesser than if using a universal.
I'm not sure what to conclude from this experiment, since I couldn't hear any difference besides some cables felt like it sounded fuzzier and some clearer. Was it my hearing not being as acute? Was it my fallible memory? Was it a placebo effect? Or was it real? I cannot say for certain

IMG-20210524-151738.jpg
IMG-20210524-151749-1.jpg
IMG-20210524-151800.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #422 of 89,874
This thread has been active for one month today and I want to thank everyone who has stopped by here in that time to make a contribution. The quality of discussion has been good-- I have definite viewpoints on various topics but I am open to hearing and discussing any perspective so long as the tone is thoughtful & mutually respectful. This audio journey we're all on is highly collective yet fundamentally individual & personal...let's enjoy it together :)

I was thinking of something more 'subliminal' and unconscious, and somewhat placebo-like. The idea is similar to that we not only 'hear' with our ears. But other sensors as well. It's fun to think about this

It is very fun to think about this if for no other reason than we still have so far to go, even theoretically, to fully understand what is going on. All the different types of sense perception are the body essentially receiving one thing (electrical signals) in 5 different ways (for each of the senses). As such there is a fundamental unity just below the surface the different senses of sight, touch, smell, taste and hearing...and this means there very likely is, as you say above and below, a sort of cross pollination going on.

On a different note, related to this topic. All the different senses correspond to different forms of electricity. Right now we have learned how to transmit two of them (sight and sound) hither and yon...how long until we can do so with the 3 remaining senses, that is to say, transmit smells, touches and tastes with the same facility as we can currently transmit a television broadcast. .

(Consider also that humans rely so much more on visual cues, than other mammals which have relatively much stronger sense of hearing and smell. It's fascinating how humans evolved favoring visual acuity over smell or hearing)

Indeed and this is not to speak of the influence of one's own consciousness (stimulated by memories, hopes, fears, associations etc.)

I'm trying to understand how electronic signal conducted through a wire could change depending on wire type, size, braiding, etc. out of curiosity:
1) How a signal transmitted from a particular cable differ from another
2) How that difference is significant enough to affect the way the transducer convert it into sound wave
3) How a copper material often increased perceived 'warmth' in the sound (silver -> 'brightness')

These are interesting questions. The part about silver causing brightness is fascinating for me because, apart from my experience with the Leo II and Elysium my most significant experience regarding cables was with my Silver ALO Litz cable I had when I owed Solaris (SE & OG). I loved the look, feel and texture of the cable and the fact that it didn't have ear hooks. I Tried on numerous occasions to use the cable with each version of the Solaris I owned and every time, after only a couple hours, I'd switch the cable off because it made the overall sig intolerably bright. This was my first hint that there was more to cables than the fundamentalists at places like Reddit would have you believe.

May 24, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #423 of 89,874
May 24, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #424 of 89,874
What a surprise with this ones, Thor Mjölnir, just arrived, are execelent basshead signature in its price range (199$)

Remember me the faceplates on Solaris SE

1621884727619.png

1621884940276.png

May 25, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #425 of 89,874
I'm really hoping to experience a custom fit some day...but man every time I see someone list their $3K custom for peanuts because it "doesn't quite fit their preferences anymore" it really makes me pause and reflect. I'm lucky that pretty much all universals seem to fit me rather well.

May 25, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #426 of 89,874
I'm really hoping to experience a custom fit some day...but man every time I see someone list their $3K custom for peanuts because it "doesn't quite fit their preferences anymore" it really makes me pause and reflect. I'm lucky that pretty much all universals seem to fit me rather well.
Same - so many here have a tendency to flip (understandable) that taking that hit must hurt!

May 25, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #427 of 89,874
As promised I like yo share my 1 day impressions of Tia Fourte.

So far I can say I'm impressed with what I'm hearing, didn't know what to expect from the reviews and impressions about the treble and wonky tonality. Perhaps I'm not skilled enough to notice the weirdness in tonality as I find it natural. The clarity and resolution is exceptional. Elysium sounds veiled in comparison , it's more obvious in tracks that are not recorded well. So technically speaking it has the upper hand as expected.
The treble has lots and lots of energy and takes no prisoners. It reveals everything in the recording and then some. At the same time I don't find it sibilant or harsh at all. It's just so revealing. I like it. The thing is you can't never relax as it demands your attention at all times, so I can understand someone finding it intense.
The aspect that impressed me the most is precision in imaging and how well organized the soundstage is. It's very wide ,perhaps a bit wider than Solaris, but not as tall. The layering is also better than anything I've heard so far. So I can say I'm pleased with my purchase so far. It's a nice compliment to what I already own.

May 25, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #428 of 89,874
Are you thinking of a custom Ely? :) Otherwise, buying a $3000 custom blind isn't a very good idea in my opinion. Unless you have cash lying in your sofa somewhere.. Alternatively, if you'd like to try what it feels like wearing custom, you could try ordering a lower-tier model from Avara, Indonesia. The lowest goes until $40 I think, the Avara Neo+, 2 BA. You could check them out here: https://www.avara-custom.com/earphones/ Or mail: alvon@avara-custom.com
I think they also accept digital 3D ear-mold files.

May 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #429 of 89,874
Are you thinking of a custom Ely? :) Otherwise, buying a $3000 custom blind isn't a very good idea in my opinion. Unless you have cash lying in your sofa somewhere.. Alternatively, if you'd like to try what it feels like wearing custom, you could try ordering a lower-tier model from Avara, Indonesia. The lowest goes until $40 I think, the Avara Neo+, 2 BA. You could check them out here: https://www.avara-custom.com/earphones/ Or mail: alvon@avara-custom.com
Or custom Elky that seems to be coming soon :wink:

May 25, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #430 of 89,874
As promised I like yo share my 1 day impressions of Tia Fourte.

So far I can say I'm impressed with what I'm hearing, didn't know what to expect from the reviews and impressions about the treble and wonky tonality. Perhaps I'm not skilled enough to notice the weirdness in tonality as I find it natural. The clarity and resolution is exceptional. Elysium sounds veiled in comparison , it's more obvious in tracks that are not recorded well. So technically speaking it has the upper hand as expected.
The treble has lots and lots of energy and takes no prisoners. It reveals everything in the recording and then some. At the same time I don't find it sibilant or harsh at all. It's just so revealing. I like it. The thing is you can't never relax as it demands your attention at all times, so I can understand someone finding it intense.
The aspect that impressed me the most is precision in imaging and how well organized the soundstage is. It's very wide ,perhaps a bit wider than Solaris, but not as tall. The layering is also better than anything I've heard so far. So I can say I'm pleased with my purchase so far. It's a nice compliment to what I already own.

Great impressions man thanks for sharing... Fourte is one of the most divisive IEMs out there...which actually bodes well for me liking it haha. I don't connect with 64 IEMs generally but this one seems the most likely candidate for me...it's too expensive for me to risk a blind buy but I'd love an opportunity to demo some day.

Yes I am...well it wouldn't be totally blind as I currently own one. I could see how getting a custom fit would add to the experience...and as they say go hard or go home. The question is if it's worth the commitment given that I don't really have any problems with my universal. Or maybe I'll sell one of my vital organs and go for a custom Erlk.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #431 of 89,874
Great impressions man thanks for sharing... Fourte is one of the most divisive IEMs out there...which actually bodes well for me liking it haha. I don't connect with 64 IEMs generally but this one seems the most likely candidate for me...it's too expensive for me to risk a blind buy but I'd love an opportunity to demo some day.

Yes I am...well it wouldn't be totally blind as I currently own one. I could see how getting a custom fit would add to the experience...and as they say go hard or go home. The question is if it's worth the commitment given that I don't really have any problems with my universal. Or maybe I'll sell one of my vital organs and go for a custom Erlk.
Thank you, happy to share.
It would be interesting to hear your impressions on it if you ever get a chance to listen to it. Although its superpowers are more on the technicalities side of things.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #432 of 89,874
Although its superpowers are more in the technicalities side of things.

Yeah that's what I gather..I'm still very eager to hear it though.

May 25, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #433 of 89,874
Disconnected my M8 to let battery down this morning. One channel was out on 4.4 insert. . Changed to Drop JVC with 2.5 insert and it was glorious. Best it has ever sounded. Emailed Andrew and he is sending me a new 4.4 insert. Great service by MusiKteck.

May 25, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #434 of 89,874
Disconnected my M8 to let battery down this morning. One channel was out on 4.4 insert. . Changed to Drop JVC with 2.5 insert and it was glorious. Best it has ever sounded. Emailed Andrew and he is sending me a new 4.4 insert. Great service by MusiKteck.

+1 for @MusicTeck

Was this the first time you've heard the M8 running properly?

Edit: I could wax poetic about Andrew & Music Teck for hours...what top fellow and top retailer. He's like my Dr. Feelgood...much of my favorite gear would have been much much harder (and more expensive) for me to get ahold of without him. 3 cheers!

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #435 of 89,874
No, I listen to them a couple of times a day very briefly to make sure everything is working. But this was the first time I had a chance to listen to M8 for more than a very few seconds. Testing equipment , cable and IEMs to find out the reason for no sound, I switched from 4.4 to 2.5, then attached first IEM with 2.5 connection I found. Just picked that JVC randomly, but what a great sound!!!!!
The M8 JVC combo is continuing to break in until my PW Loki cable arrives so I can add M8 and Dorado 2020 for about another 100 hours of break in. My new warranty 4.4 insert should be here by Friday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back