The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 25, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #36,331 of 88,483
Well the entire shell as well as the placement of the BCD, eartip, nozzle , etc affects the response of the BCD. My guess is that UM wasn’t going for a super strong BCD effect to augment the otherwise all BA setup. But if you look at the “explosion” of the Mentor:

D46158A9-30CE-43BF-A5AF-2C71CD25751C.jpeg

Vs the Red Halo:
A876809A-EC4E-428A-8EC2-B58F8BE09E81.jpeg

Similar design, similar layout and placement for both (RH has resistors however) but the Mentor does have a different material build for its own BCD. And if you take UM’s word they use carbon fiber shells for both the RH and Mentor. They really didn’t spare much expense here.

As a side note, here’s the new Odyssey
Notice how big the BCD is as well as placement ( Closer to ear than UM) ? It’s similar to how the Evo was placed.

AF24FAC5-A49F-40CC-8AEB-1C692DD18081.jpeg
I believe air drivers still have a more profound effect on bass than bone conduction transducers (not discounting bone conduction science), so I'm more interested in the Odyssey's Dual subwoofers versus UM's BA bass drivers.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #36,332 of 88,483
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #36,333 of 88,483
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #36,334 of 88,483
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #36,336 of 88,483
From reading up I thought I would have liked it more than I did, and I wonder how source depending it is. Below is what I noted during my demo. The remarks are not connected to each other at all and simply popped up in my head during the session:

Elysian Annihilator
Great tonal balance, too lean mids make female vocals focus on upper mids and treble only (making them sound 5-10 years younger), slightly nasal, disconnected s sounds, whispy, unlistenable, excellent details, good imaging and spatial cues, plenty of air around instruments, excellent dynamics, bit thumpy low end

Do you think most of this can be cured with a different source? There were a few things that I really really liked but for now some other aspects didn't do it just yet, and perhaps I should put more effort into making them sound more to my liking. There's no better place to demo them than here in Malaysia after all.

drftr
Yes. I love it with either Hugo 2 or the RS8. I like IEMs that have a specialty that I believe is well above the competition. So, I love listening to treble oriented music with Anni.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #36,337 of 88,483
Considering that Lee can't keep up with a demand, I think the only way to fix this problem is for him to move forward with EAnnihilator :D

GAEA was a smart move. Actually, listening to it now and will share my impressions soon. For those who love their bass, especially subs, and enjoy their pinna gain with a focus on upper mids, this is a great U-shaped tuned iem. Also, a clever move, considering EA collab and GAEA using Lee's signature Pentaconn connectors, to use stock cable with ConX where you can switch between connectors.

20220925_000056.jpg
Looking forward to your thoughts. I really liked it at CanJam. Got a pre-order discount so I ordered it.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #36,338 of 88,483
I won't repeat what @Rockwell75 replied, which I mostly agree with. I think the past two years have seen some incredible evolutions, if not innovations. Traillii for one (expensive but the benchmark for tuning/technicalities), full range bone conduction, Kinetic bass, and now high-end planar (which I believe will challenge your KSE example for technical performance with improved tuning).

We do indeed live in a golden age of IEMs, and if IEMs like Supermoon can disrupt the price-performance equation and drive prices down, then with luck we're heading into a period of abundance when this great tech is slowly democratised and mainstreamed.
I’ll play devil’s advocate here, but since when is planar a new innovation to iem’s?

Audeze did it, again closer to a decade ago than now with the LCDi4. And as good as Supermoon is, I have to say LCDi4 sounds “better” and can be had for cheaper second hand. Another sleeper for totl SQ from an older era.

That being said, it’s an open back iem which is unusable on the go and very limiting. Also pretty much requires the cipher cable and is massive.

@Rockwell75 I do have to agree though that there are great new driver implementations that have been pushing the boundaries. Another one that I haven’t seen any manufacturer use is cartilage conduction, and have heard some prototypes of that internally - seems promising for lower frequencies.
Looks more like prosciutto to me :)
My thoughts exactly lol

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #36,339 of 88,483
I’ll play devil’s advocate here, but since when is planar a new innovation to iem’s?

Audeze did it, again closer to a decade ago than now with the LCDi4. And as good as Supermoon is, I have to say LCDi4 sounds “better” and can be had for cheaper second hand. Another sleeper for totl SQ from an older era.

It's new in that they're a lot more accessible and manufacturers are finally starting to figure out how to implement them. There have been planar IEMs as long as I've been in this hobby but none have been particularly noteworthy until now which tells me that some type of innovation has taken place with respect to the drivers at least.

The LCDi4 is an exceptional case for a number of reasons. First it's not really an IEM as it sits outside your ears, it's massive, open backed with no isolation, requires proprietary tips that can be hard to fit, needs massive EQ. When all those variables hit it's arguably the best thing in the market currently...but it's too high maintenance for me personally to be considered viable. That we can get something now that is entirely portable, reasonably sized and closed back like the Supermoon that comes within striking distance of the LCDi4 in terms of sound...is most assuredly a breakthrough imho.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #36,340 of 88,483
I'm a fan of IEMs with planar magnetic drivers. I think the main problem so far has been the treble implementation. The treble generally needs to be fast and accurate to sound good and have a nice extension. The rest is already there with fast transients, low distortion and resolution.

The Supermoon got my attention. Unfortunately, it's only available in custom. Nonetheless, I'm aware of a earbud to be released soon with the same 14mm planar magnetic driver used in the Supermoon and a DD. If properly tuned, it could sound amazing, like a high-end headphone.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #36,342 of 88,483
Nonetheless, I'm aware of a earbud to be released soon with the same 14mm planar magnetic driver used in the Supermoon and a DD. If properly tuned, it could sound amazing, like a high-end headphone.

I'm pretty sure it's our resident world class earbud manufacturer @tgx78 who is behind that :D

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #36,343 of 88,483

That being said, it’s an open back iem which is unusable on the go and very limiting. Also pretty much requires the cipher cable and is massive.

@Rockwell75 I do have to agree though that there are great new driver implementations that have been pushing the boundaries. Another one that I haven’t seen any manufacturer use is cartilage conduction, and have heard some prototypes of that internally - seems promising for lower frequencies.

My thoughts exactly lol

It's always the same, when first iPhone came out, most of its tech were introduced years ago without success. However, you cannot discredit Apple for the "innovation". Same things to Microsoft' Excel vs Lotus 123. I guess an innovation which starts the new era won't necessarily be totally new. Most of the truly "new" innovations went unnoticed since they are just too early, need some other synergy to join together to be a real success.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #36,344 of 88,483
Sep 25, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #36,345 of 88,483
I would certainly own Supermoon by now if it was available as a universal... come on CFA, or some other brand!
Ask your dealer. There are options to get SM as universal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back