The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #36,301 of 88,483
Just found a video after writing this and I think I nailed his impressions pretty much about pathfinder

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #36,302 of 88,483
Her new record is amazing. 'Can't wait to hear the live acoustic EP she just put out as well. :)
Just heard it all. Amazing stuff.

And I again noticed how the normalizing and other volume shenanigans on streaming services like deezer etc. does not do the source material any justice. Even if it's lossless, they compress the dynamics after the fact with their crappy software. Artifacts get blown out in silent sections and fade outs for example. Glad I bought the hi-res files.

*edit* I cannot hear this with every IEM that I own, but the Indigo picks it up clear as day.
**edit with blown out, I mean they get quite loud and obnoxious

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #36,304 of 88,483
I was led to think that Mentors would collect more shares than Odyssey and Ragnar. Instead, the opposite happened.
same really thought mentors will get more attention or maybe it's just people are tired of all BA iem :)?

I love my FS with First time shielding combo, even more than traillii with First time Shielding, I believe the Mentor will be even better, looking forward to try them in the future.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #36,305 of 88,483
I’ve been vocal about this before on this thread I believe, but I find the iem market to be unexciting and stagnant in terms of innovation. Product is getting better as the years go by, sure, but at such a slow rate relative to price tags. Of course, audiophilea is also strongly correlated to summit-chasing and status, so people like me will pay ridiculous sums to achieve + 5% sound quality.

Since the KSE, released closer to a decade ago than today, nothing has come close to its technical aptitudes. Sure its not a compelling tuning, nor a practical product, but it broke boundaries and I have respect for that. Despite its shortcomings, with the right musical pairing, it can transport me to a live venue better than anything I’ve ever heard in portable audio. It can even trick my brain more so than my Susvara or HE60/ Utopia - something no other iem I’ve ever heard even come close to doing.

So what iem has come close to true innovation in the latest years?
I won't repeat what @Rockwell75 replied, which I mostly agree with. I think the past two years have seen some incredible evolutions, if not innovations. Traillii for one (expensive but the benchmark for tuning/technicalities), full range bone conduction, Kinetic bass, and now high-end planar (which I believe will challenge your KSE example for technical performance with improved tuning).

Sure there are IEMs like Z1R and U12t that have stood the test of time, but they're few and far between, and were ahead of their time in many ways.

We do indeed live in a golden age of IEMs, and if IEMs like Supermoon can disrupt the price-performance equation and drive prices down, then with luck we're heading into a period of abundance when this great tech is slowly democratised and mainstreamed.

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #36,306 of 88,483
same really thought mentors will get more attention or maybe it's just people are tired of all BA iem :)?

I love my FS with First time shielding combo, even more than traillii with First time Shielding, I believe the Mentor will be even better, looking forward to try them in the future.
I’m open to trying / getting Mentor if I like it, but hope for another faceplate (will make that request) - that design just drives me bananas 🤪

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #36,307 of 88,483
I’m open to trying / getting Mentor if I like it, but hope for another faceplate (will make that request) - that design just drives me bananas 🤪
Same here. My 2c: The purple, brown and turquoise are too similar in hue and clash with each other. From a design aesthetic, it would have been better for the purple part of the aesthetic to be either distinctly lighter or much darker. Indigo & Red Halo Fe nailed it.

3_c71bec55-59a0-49a1-9eea-0b84bb0f7f86.jpg

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #36,308 of 88,483
Same here. My 2c: The purple, brown and turquoise are too similar in hue and clash with each other. From a design aesthetic, it would have been better for the purple part of the aesthetic to be either distinctly lighter or much darker. Indigo & Red Halo Fe nailed it.

You can probably ask for it for another 3 grand or so. Peanuts! Or it will become a completely new version. That's what some brands do: They create the ugliest thing possible, and then for a few hundred bucks you can get a version that looks appealing enough not to throw up. Which of course is what everyone will do. Easiest way to make money.

Having said that, on the pics I think this combi looks quite cool. But yeah, if you have to fork over real money (and serious money at that!) then why not choosing something you really like, I absolutely get that!

drftr

Sep 25, 2022 at 5:58 AM Post #36,309 of 88,483
I should be receiving delivery of my Wraith any day now; if it's anything like I remember from when I last heard it, it may make it into my list.
I’m excited for you man! Looking forward to your thoughts!

I had a Wraith more than 1 year until recently.

I really liked their sound and I'm not surprised that until recently they were the top EE. Although it may not have looked obvious against the background of the hype about Odin, the price on the official website, albeit symbolically by $100, was higher.

The only thing is that in the stock version I lacked a little control over the bass and the extension of high frequencies. However, a fairly simple looking (and cheaper than stock) custom cable fixed that so I was happy to use them.

And then came Traillii. And if by sound it is a sweet-voiced bird, then by character it is a ruthless alpha predator.
I actually enjoy the Wraith over the Odin. The Odin has the more engaging and present bass but it just can’t match the vocal presentation of the Wraith for me.
I think if I end up keeping the Wraith, I might pick up the OG Valky to complement the Wraith with its thunderous bass and spicy treble a la @Sifo with his Zeus and Valky CIEM.

I still can’t comment on the Traillii since I still haven’t heard it but maybe someday.

I certainly would agree with @riverground regarding the Pathfinder. It's the hidden gem in the crowd and I don't hesitate to put it in the top 10 best IEMs (not exaggerating at all honestly)
It really is man lol
IU sounded great on it :smirk:

But because of AK’s previous collab release “flops” not a lot of people show interest in it. But I hope the hype the Odyssey is getting would give the Pathfinder a chance to be on more people’s ears.

You and @riverground have me extremely interested in the pathfinder
Definitely give it a go, it never hurts to try new stuff lol

It’s not exactly on the affordable side but it is extremely well built and designed really really well.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #36,310 of 88,483
We do indeed live in a golden age of IEMs, and if IEMs like Supermoon can disrupt the price-performance equation and drive prices down, then with luck we're heading into a period of abundance when this great tech is slowly democratised and mainstreamed.

I think credit needs to go to 7Hz for the price performance offered by Timeless when it hit the market almost a year ago. In true disruptive style, it arrived pretty much out of nowhere making a massive impact - incumbents responded to compete in a similar price bracket, and we now see that moving up to higher segments... not taking away from what CFA have clearly achieved btw, an inevitable evolution and they've clearly got a winner - if they manage it well, CIEM only is certainly a barrier to entry, and I doubt it'll be long before another brand responds at this higher segment of the market, maybe even bringing the price down to an attractive $999.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #36,311 of 88,483

I've only listened to one UM in my life. The MKII loaned to me by Xinlisupreme. I have to say that (as I listen to ....) it was a little too hot. A very (perhaps) too soft yet pleasant sound. I then listened to Traillii and Ace. And both for my very personal tastes are considerably more satisfying than UM. Now ..... honest I don't know IF all UMs have a very similar setup between the various models. MY listening pleasure certainly goes in the direction of Traillii and Ace (but I also find Szalayi excellent). And so I CAREFULLY read what is written about Mentor, Red Halo, etc. to see if UM could meet my tastes.

Sep 25, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #36,312 of 88,483
Interesting points. Bass is the foundation for most music. If an IEM does not do it to well, many will not care for it. That said, usually a great midrange will carry the day as it comprises the most important frequencies and the vocals. The Annihilator is regularly written up for its outstanding treble. I am not sure if most listeners would purchase an IEM mainly for its treble. How are its mids compared to the best?

If you read my comments, not once did I say the Annihilator does not do well in bass. They are good, just not as good as others which are known for their bass e.g Z1R, EE, Fir, etc. I find the Annihilator’s bass as good as U12t. Do you still consider that bad? Maybe you do, but not to me. I still find U12t competitive among the top tier.
The mids are more towards the leaner side compared to many who prefer lush and warm. If that signature doesn’t rock your boat then it doesn’t matter how well it does in the mids. I still find it emotive for me, and female vocals especially stands out. Male vocals maybe not so much.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #36,313 of 88,483

Colour aside, it’s the round patterns positioned that way which makes my trypophobia act up 😂

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #36,314 of 88,483
RUSH is my favorite band and the inspiration to me being a bassist.

Can also confirm concerts are a sausage party lol. Additionally, at the time i must have been among the 10 guys in their 20’s out of 20,000 in the arena :)
Well, I know they've always told you
Selfishness was wrong
Yet it was for me, not you
That I came to write this song

Part of lyric from Anthem, 1975 Rush song.
When someone says Rush I instantly hear one of the many moments in their songs.
Could be Neil with a massive drum roll across seemingly 100s of TomToms or Geddy with a high pitched double chirp like he does on Anthem.

Keep it going guys great to wake up in the morning and feel 16 again.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #36,315 of 88,483
This is a surprising statement. Who is hyping it? Other than me sharing mine at CanJam on Friday night and the 2 or 3 people I talked to it about at the Musicteck booth, who else is even talking about it?

That vs nearly the entire Watercooler hyping Supermoon.

I am shocked that Annihilator did as well as it did in the watercooler pool given how few people even had a chance to hear it or even knowing about it or where they might be able to hear it. It took me 4 months to even get a demo. I think the opposite is true. If the Anni had more availability, a lot of people would be talking about it because it is that good.
I think it may not be how many suggest a set but who the few who do are. I remember statements like the “best highs I ever heard” coming from a few I have learned to trust. That kind of hype for me at least does not need lots of repeats, and can be from a while ago.

Still no Annihilator Hype Train going on just a few good comments of praise. Always tempered by mention of the not ideal bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back