The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #36,286 of 88,463
Hello friends,

While you guys are confused between XE6, Jewel, and Trailli, me here enjoying my sunday with the Shanling M7 and MG600 hehehe. Joking, I have @Sajid Amit bro coming to India in a few days and he is bringing his Trailli alongside. Super excited to try out the bird, whose hummings have lovers all around the globe!!

IMG_1864.JPG

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #36,287 of 88,463
Bummed I didn't bother to check it out when I had the chance. I'm skeptical of the "super Dorado" moniker though. To me the Dorado 2020's secret sauce comes from their proprietary DD and the acoustic properties of the ceramic shell. It's still fairly unique even in the face of everything I've heard recently.

It's a rough take as I didn't hear both side-by-side. The Pathfinder definitely has the Dorado/Vega roots in the subbass elevation, and I find it to sound V-shaped but in a very refined way.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #36,288 of 88,463
There's no better place to demo them than here in Malaysia after all.

drftr

If you are in KL you can try Starpickers. They have a number of sources you can use to pair it with. Just bring your micro sd card.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #36,289 of 88,463
It's a rough take as I didn't hear both side-by-side. The Pathfinder definitely has the Dorado/Vega roots in the subbass elevation, and I find it to sound V-shaped but in a very refined way.

Given your comment and @riverground's I'm suddenly very interested in hearing it. Solaris X apparently sucked which is probably part of why this IEM has struggled to get off the ground.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #36,290 of 88,463
Given your comment and @riverground's I'm suddenly very interested in hearing it. Solaris X apparently sucked which is probably part of why this IEM has struggled to get off the ground.

I certainly would agree with @riverground regarding the Pathfinder. It's the hidden gem in the crowd and I don't hesitate to put it in the top 10 best IEMs (not exaggerating at all honestly)

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #36,291 of 88,463
Hello friends,

While you guys are confused between XE6, Jewel, and Trailli, me here enjoying my sunday with the Shanling M7 and MG600 hehehe. Joking, I have @Sajid Amit bro coming to India in a few days and he is bringing his Trailli alongside. Super excited to try out the bird, whose hummings have lovers all around the globe!!

IMG_1864.JPG
:bird: = :goat:

GOAT.

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #36,292 of 88,463
I certainly would agree with @riverground regarding the Pathfinder. It's the hidden gem in the crowd and I don't hesitate to put it in the top 10 best IEMs (not exaggerating at all honestly)

Plot twist: 2022 goes down as the year AK releases the best CFA and EE IEMs.

Did you vote?

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #36,293 of 88,463
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #36,294 of 88,463
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #36,295 of 88,463
If you are in KL you can try Starpickers. They have a number of sources you can use to pair it with. Just bring your micro sd card.
Tnx... Will reach out to them again. Just got confirmed they don't have the FiR KR5 while they're a dealer. Hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Annihilator.

drftr

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #36,296 of 88,463

Just re-discovered her and had to share. Gonna buy all of her stuff on qobuz. What a voice.

Her new record is amazing. 'Can't wait to hear the live acoustic EP she just put out as well. :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:37 AM Post #36,297 of 88,463
Right here-- just share 3 IEMs that own your heart at this moment in time.

Alrighty then:

I'm probably going to come out as a Campfire Fanboy though. These IEMs would be endgame IEMs at 500 (used) - 2K price point

Definitely voting these 3 IEMs:

1) Campfire Supermoon = Probably the most coherent IEM I've ever heard along with Traillii and CA Andromeda as close second. It presents layered bass definition, realistic midrange tonality albeit some might want a bit more presence and very refined and airy treble. If you're looking for that harmonious timbre, dynamics and tonality across the 20-20 KHz frequency range, this is the best choice for me

2) AK x Campfire Pathfinder = DD subbass that can seriously challenge the mighty IER-Z1R subbass with closer to U12T mid tonality and just the right amount of treble presence without any harsh peaks. IMHO, those who find the U12T dull sounding should seriously audition this IEM!

3) CA Andromeda OG = at the used prices, you get all the glory of the Andromeda 2020 with better treble presence and sparkle (and yes with the right source, the treble sparkle is NOT piercing sounding whatsoever)

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #36,298 of 88,463
AK x Campfire Pathfinder = DD subbass that can seriously challenge the mighty IER-Z1R subbass with closer to U12T mid tonality and just the right amount of treble presence without any harsh peaks. IMHO, those who find the U12T dull sounding should seriously audition this IEM!
Since it's a collaboration with a South Korean brand I should be able to demo them once there. Added.

Let me know if you have come across any reviews please.

drftr

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #36,299 of 88,463
Alrighty then:

I'm probably going to come out as a Campfire Fanboy though. These IEMs would be endgame IEMs at 500 (used) - 2K price point

Definitely voting these 3 IEMs:

1) Campfire Supermoon = Probably the most coherent IEM I've ever heard along with Traillii and CA Andromeda as close second. It presents layered bass definition, realistic midrange tonality albeit some might want a bit more presence and very refined and airy treble. If you're looking for that harmonious timbre, dynamics and tonality across the 20-20 KHz frequency range, this is the best choice for me

2) AK x Campfire Pathfinder = DD subbass that can seriously challenge the mighty IER-Z1R subbass with closer to U12T mid tonality and just the right amount of treble presence without any harsh peaks. IMHO, those who find the U12T dull sounding should seriously audition this IEM!

3) CA Andromeda OG = at the used prices, you get all the glory of the Andromeda 2020 with better treble presence and sparkle (and yes with the right source, the treble sparkle is NOT piercing sounding whatsoever)
You and @riverground have me extremely interested in the pathfinder

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #36,300 of 88,463
I agree, there are only a few who have heard/owned it that have hyped it in comparison with the more ready available Supermoon, Traillii, etc.
Given how scarce it is to find a demo set or even ownership, the fact that it is gaining traction is proof of how good it is. If they had more marketing with wider distribution and demo available, it’ll definitely be rated as high as the others.
The bass while not as good as EE or even Z1R is still good to me. Similarly while EE or UM treble is not as good as Annihilator, are still good to me as well. Saying Annihilator is not top tier just because of the bass is the same as saying EE and UM is not top tier because of their treble.
Interesting points. Bass is the foundation for most music. If an IEM does not do it to well, many will not care for it. That said, usually a great midrange will carry the day as it comprises the most important frequencies and the vocals. The Annihilator is regularly written up for its outstanding treble. I am not sure if most listeners would purchase an IEM mainly for its treble. How are its mids compared to the best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back