The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 23, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #35,986 of 90,101
I was going to wait until tomorrow to start this but it will help me this weekend if we get a head start today. It's officially fall up here in the northern hemisphere which means it's time for our seasonal poll.

Survey: What are the top 3 IEMs that own your heart right now?

Criteria for selection is entirely up to you-- favourites, new loves...what 3 IEMs are occupying your mind and heart at this moment in time? To see the results of the summer and spring polls head to the opening page of the Watercooler thread.
1. Jewel
2. Jewe... I mean indigo
3. Trifecta ?!? Just cuz it has unique sauce going for it...

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #35,991 of 90,101
Sep 23, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #35,992 of 90,101
I was going to wait until tomorrow to start this but it will help me this weekend if we get a head start today. It's officially fall up here in the northern hemisphere which means it's time for our seasonal poll.

Criteria for selection is entirely up to you-- favourites, new loves...what 3 IEMs are occupying your mind and heart at this moment in time? To see the results of the summer and spring polls head to the opening page of the Watercooler thread.
Traillii
XE6
Mason FS

So boring, sorry

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #35,994 of 90,101
Hang on! I'm creating a dozen more Head-Fi accounts! :wink:

drftr

Lol "Who is this user "rtfrd" and why did he turn up just to vote for the 18t?"

In other news #2400!

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #35,995 of 90,101

I can play in this one!

1. Oriolus Traillii
2. Elysian Annihilator
3. UM Multiverse Melody

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #35,998 of 90,101
I actually have a favor to ask of some of the more thoughtful and experienced Watercoolers. I mentioned a bit ago that I’m trying to improve my critical listening, and reviewing skills (not to be a reviewer, THAT seems like so much work, this is just for my own personal development in my audiophile journey).

To that end, I’d LOVE to hear about some of your critical listening methodologies and routines.

Respectfully in advance, I’m not interested in “listen more” responses, that won’t be helpful because that’s a given.

To give an example, if you’re listening to evaluate FR, are you listening three or four times to the same tune to evaluate bass vs sub-bass, or do you gather that on one or two passes? What style of note-taking do you do, detailed and thorough, or just a couple of words? Do you find you need to use a different process when comparing DAP vs IEMs vs cables? What do you do to shift from the “listening” to the “writing”? Specifically wondering about those who write such nuanced and detailed (and extremely helpful) recaps that dissect the most intricate aspects of the gear we love.

I could go on with the questions, but I’m genuinely curious about all of this, and am surprised it’s a rarely discussed in detail aspect of the reviewing process here, or anywhere on the interwebs, actually.

I could be wrong, and this could be a bit presumptuous of me to say it, but my sense is there would be many, many forum readers that would be interested about this subject.

Sep 23, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #36,000 of 90,101
I actually have a favor to ask of some of the more thoughtful and experienced Watercoolers. I mentioned a bit ago that I’m trying to improve my critical listening, and reviewing skills (not to be a reviewer, THAT seems like so much work, this is just for my own personal development in my audiophile journey).

To that end, I’d LOVE to hear about some of your critical listening methodologies and routines.

Respectfully in advance, I’m not interested in “listen more” responses, that won’t be helpful because that’s a given.

To give an example, if you’re listening to evaluate FR, are you listening three or four times to the same tune to evaluate bass vs sub-bass, or do you gather that on one or two passes? What style of note-taking do you do, detailed and thorough, or just a couple of words? Do you find you need to use a different process when comparing DAP vs IEMs vs cables? What do you do to shift from the “listening” to the “writing”? Specifically wondering about those who write such nuanced and detailed (and extremely helpful) recaps that dissect the most intricate aspects of the gear we love.

I could go on with the questions, but I’m genuinely curious about all of this, and am surprised it’s a rarely discussed in detail aspect of the reviewing process here, or anywhere on the interwebs, actually.

I could be wrong, and this could be a bit presumptuous of me to say it, but my sense is there would be many, many forum readers that would be interested about this subject.
So I’ll be the fun guy so no serious reply here. My method is to have the system on, and put hp on. when I’m done I take off the hp then type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back