The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #35,086 of 89,888
After over two years, I'll be going to three concerts in the next few months! :) really looking forward to it.

Hope you all can enjoy live music again as well. That's what it's all about 😁

To contribute to this ongoing conversation, my highlights were seeing Herbie Hancock in 2019, even though I had to rush out during the encore to get my train home. And also Ryan Porter was a very great one, Kamasi Washington was there, too. Ghost-Note were also extremely good, two people of this band held seven Grammys at the time, not even 20 people in the audience, what a waste. They did get off the ground though and are Zildjians House Band now :)

When I was younger, I saw Colour Haze a few times, on different Festivals and concerts, the Stoner Rock Phase did really influence my taste in music.

I could go on, sorry for the rambling, just remembered how good these times were. I really gotta drag myself out of the house more often now and get back into music as a group experience.

I would love to hear some of your stories!
Ghost-Note and their Zildjian Live project have some of the best live jazz performances in recent memory.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #35,088 of 89,888
I think I still have most of my concert stubs (100+), but I think my GA days are over; it's reserved seating for me these days. One of my most memorable concerts was seeing Linkin Park at MSG; Jay-Z showed up out of nowhere and LP & him performed several of their mash-ups from their Collision Course album. RIP Chester

chester1.235fce1d.jpg
LP remains one of my favorite bands years later. I continue to listen to them even now. In my opinion, Chester's death is one of music's greatest losses.
It's nice that his legacy lives on.

And eventually Gray Daze released several posthumous albums. Of course, they consist essentially of remasters of old songs, but it's still nice that they did it.
The release of the 20-year edition of Hybrid Theory was also a pleasant surprise. I love the demos and there's really a lot of fun in there.

Too bad it didn't happen until after Chester died.
But I hope he is now in the best of worlds.
RIP Chester.

Sep 15, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #35,089 of 89,888
Ghost-Note and their Zildjian Live project have some of the best live jazz performances in recent memory.
They were awesome live as well, tightest band I´ve seen so far and I have seen Cory Wong.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #35,090 of 89,888
Rush only clicked for me after I turned 40. Didn't like them as a youngster.
I'm not yet 40 (but soon) and I don't really like this band, but when YouTube recommended their concert with a symphony orchestra, I watched it with pleasure.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #35,091 of 89,888
Ok here’s my rush story, everyone has one or two. I’m 16 my bud leans over during class, this band rush is playing at the Montreal forum, they got smoke, flash bangs, lasers, and it’s only 3.99$ to go. What songs are these rush I asked? Closer to the heart, oh ya I think I heard that. Well 3.99$ can’t hurt let’s book it at Ticketmaster….the rest they say is history…

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #35,092 of 89,888
I'm not yet 40 (but soon) and I don't really like this band, but when YouTube recommended their concert with a symphony orchestra, I watched it with pleasure.
Partly time and place, growing through my teen years it was Led Zep and Rush, mix in a little Blue Oyster Colt, and that comprised almost all the music my young buddies and I listened to together. We often dreamed about driving to Toronto and inviting ourselves into the Rush studio, you know when your young how naive we were and how small the World seemed. Looking back on it I am really glad we did not do that, those guys liked their privacy and who were we other than just some fans from New Jersey.

I had a parallel musical journey going on that none of my then friends shared in Jazz so when I was by myself Bill Evans and Miles occupied most of my listening.

As far as Metal and Prog goes my taste expanded with a year focused on Tull, than a migration to Yes, Genesis, Roxy Music, Zappa all favorites of my newly acquired college buddies.

All the time still no one to share Jazz with.
And a discovery of Pat Metheny, and others.
Bright Size Life, As Falls Wichita, Offramp, very influential to my listening growth. We are talking about 1982-1983 time frame.

All this Rush talk is stirring up so many memories of my sex crazed teen years, those crushes, soothed by pounding loud speakers playing Bytor etc. and those friends.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #35,093 of 89,888
Hit the jazz circuit hard in Toronto for 15 years prior to Covid. Many many front row seats at Kroener hall the Sony Center aka meridian now,little jazz theatre kinda dropped popular music concerts except a few notables During this time. Queen, areosmith, omd, simple minds, Neil young, just the bands I missed growing up, and before they get too ridiculously old.
now I’m waiting for Covid to end, not just theoretically but statistically. But that’s just me

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #35,094 of 89,888
Hit the jazz circuit hard in Toronto for 15 years prior to Covid. Many many front row seats at Kroener hall the Sony Center aka meridian now,little jazz theatre kinda dropped popular music concerts except a few notables During this time. Queen, areosmith, omd, simple minds, Neil young, just the bands I missed growing up, and before they get too ridiculously old.
now I’m waiting for Covid to end, not just theoretically but statistically. But that’s just me
Statistics are so unreliable... I hope you can feel like you can go out again soon! :)

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #35,095 of 89,888
On topic of re-shelling, and considering Itsfit has been highly praised. While I don't have any experience with it, wondering if anybody had their hybrid iems re-shelled, not just multi-BAs? When you are dealing with BAs only, it's mostly a matter of a careful cut'n'paste. When you add DD into the equation and have to take into the account acoustic chamber design, it's not that easy to retain the same sound.

Sep 15, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #35,096 of 89,888
On topic of re-shelling, and considering Itsfit has been highly praised. While I don't have any experience with it, wondering if anybody had their hybrid iems re-shelled, not just multi-BAs? When you are dealing with BAs only, it's mostly a matter of a careful cut'n'paste. When you add DD into the equation and have to take into the account acoustic chamber design, it's not that easy to retain the same sound.

I think @MatW is in the process of having an Odin re-shelled so there should be an answer to this soon.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #35,097 of 89,888
Statistics are so unreliable... I hope you can feel like you can go out again soon! :)
Well out for sure but crowds indoors, not so much. The statistics are discouraging or encouraging depending on perspective. The low incidence gives the illusion of safety that is or isn’t an illusion depending if you win the Covid lottery or not.
so not being hyperbole but a bud went and saw the stones in London, sent a photo. All I could see is tens of thousands of vectors for covid. He stated we are proof of vax and test neg 72 hours before. Well him and his family got Covid, second time, from it….
then again, maybe 60,000 didn’t catch it so there’s the roulette of it all.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #35,098 of 89,888
Well out for sure but crowds indoors, not so much. The statistics are discouraging or encouraging depending on perspective. The low incidence gives the illusion of safety that is or isn’t an illusion depending if you win the Covid lottery or not.
so not being hyperbole but a bud went and saw the stones in London, sent a photo. All I good see is tens of thousands of vectors for covid. He stated we are proof of vax and test neg 72 hours before. Well him and his family got Covid, second time, from it….
then again, maybe 60,000 didn’t catch it so there’s the roulette of it all.
You could also have a car accident. I get what you are saying, I personally will not let my life be influenced like that. But everyone has the right to decide that for themselves and I respect your decision.

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #35,100 of 89,888
Partly time and place, growing through my teen years it was Led Zep and Rush, mix in a little Blue Oyster Colt, and that comprised almost all the music my young buddies and I listened to together. We often dreamed about driving to Toronto and inviting ourselves into the Rush studio, you know when your young how naive we were and how small the World seemed. Looking back on it I am really glad we did not do that, those guys liked their privacy and who were we other than just some fans from New Jersey.

I had a parallel musical journey going on that none of my then friends shared in Jazz so when I was by myself Bill Evans and Miles occupied most of my listening.

As far as Metal and Prog goes my taste expanded with a year focused on Tull, than a migration to Yes, Genesis, Roxy Music, Zappa all favorites of my newly acquired college buddies.

All the time still no one to share Jazz with.
And a discovery of Pat Metheny, and others.
Bright Size Life, As Falls Wichita, Offramp, very influential to my listening growth. We are talking about 1982-1983 time frame.

All this Rush talk is stirring up so many memories of my sex crazed teen years, those crushes, soothed by pounding loud speakers playing Bytor etc. and those friends.
Looks like we could do with 1 cloud account! Nice to see some appreciation for Blue Öyster Cult. I especially dig their live albums.

drftr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back