The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 3, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #34,036 of 88,428
If that were true, then it should be very easy to do exactly the same thing and steal his business by undercutting his prices by 10%. That's not happening. Therefore, your trivialization his business is underestimating what it really takes to do what he did.
I'm doing exactly the opposite my friend. I'm saying most of the money goes into ideas, research, prototyping, etcetera. It's priceless and the reason his cables should be priced the way they are. I think you may have misread my post or at least misinterpreted?

drfrr

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #34,037 of 88,428
I'm doing exactly the opposite my friend. I'm saying most of the money goes into ideas, research, prototyping, etcetera. It's priceless and the reason his cables should be priced the way they are. I think you may have misread my post or at least misinterpreted?

drfrr
Fair enough. I must have read it wrong.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #34,039 of 88,428
EDIT: Crossed out the word "simply" as it could be read in a negative way which was absolutely not my intention. Just saying that creating cables from raw silver is something entirely different than manufacturing all the parts into a useable cable for consumers.
That really wasn't necessary, I think the denizens of the Cooler have the attention span to sit down and read through your paragraph to get the proper context of your statement.

That said, price tags are what they are because of the cost and overhead, that's before even considering profit, so I'm generally mindful of that.

However, PW seems to have hit their critical mass and entered their phase of making things for profits sake rather than making well R&D things. And for that, I have consigned them to the scrap heap that I've resigned EA to as well.

I'll consider anything in their lineup pre August Fun and Monile MKII still for what they are and what they do. But nothing beyond that.

Similar to EA and pre Leo II. In fact I have a Horus on the way from MT.

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #34,040 of 88,428
This can't be correct. The 50s is already an 8 wire cable. Each of the Cardas wires has two transducers inside, making it 8 wire already. So the Orphy by that standard would have double the number of wires, which anyone that owns one would know to be untrue.

We know that Cardas makes the EXACT wires for the 50s and 60s, but there "must" be some differences between the 50s and the Orpheus. Especially since there "isn't enough" Orpheus wire to make more. At least in theory.

I don't doubt that some of the magic in PW comes from Cardas originally, and some of the PW cables are exactly that, but the FT and Orpheus have to have some changes because they simply don't sound the same. So, in the end, who knows :)
Maybe they somehow manage to fit 8 50s wires for 16 cores into a 4 wire factor. Or its a custom built using the 50s wires.

I'm not crazy enough to buy an Orphy to have a cable maker dismantle it just yet 😅

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #34,041 of 88,428
Awake early and reached for Szalayi to relax on a rainy Saturday morning here in Ireland... this album sounds utterly divine - the mids are so incredibly engaging; playful modular synths and the undercurrent of deep sub bass making itself both heard plus felt, and like a good subwoofer, never bleeding into the mids with a wonderful sense of separation yet still cohesive. The album theme of a journey through the cosmos, is brilliantly played out in a large holographic/3D stage - a stunning, visceral, and unbelievably captivating experience... I literally feel like I'm 'in the music', man :)

I love early morning music before I've done anything else, I always find I really immerse myself and connect with the sounds... anyway, amazing album on a set that I'm loving more with each listen

20220902_175013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 3, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #34,042 of 88,428
I have shared my appreciation for the writing capabilities of Alex, Daniel, Ryan, and Berkhan before on this thread, but reading this Brise Audio review by Lau (@ezekiel77) is soooo much fun that I may not buy a new cable at all and simply keep re-reading reviews instead. The first time apparently I read it solely focussing on the information provided, but now that I read it a second time his beautiful writing and witty jokes are really taking over. Maybe it's better to read about music than to actually hear it!

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/07/review-brise-audio-str7-se/

drftr

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #34,044 of 88,428
Nice. I am so jealous. That was the best DAP I have ever heard.
Curiosity has gotten the better of me and I'd like to see what all the fuss is about, it's been niggling me that I wrote off LP6 so quickly. Won't be untill the start of October I'll get to hear it though as away with work for a little while, something to look forward to!

Sep 3, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #34,045 of 88,428
Sep 3, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #34,047 of 88,428
In Utica NY, couple coffee lovers here on the Cooler, my son started college here.
This is his favorite fresh roast coffee stop.

53E74C17-B698-48A8-91A2-7A5429C2923E.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #34,048 of 88,428
In Utica NY, couple coffee lovers here on the Cooler, my son started college.
This is his favorite fresh roast coffee stop.

E84D8786-0386-4843-8A67-9CF30C02D7B4.jpeg

Love it. That's a great slogan in general these days.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #34,049 of 88,428
I have been using the new Noble Kublai Khan, which I will call KK hereafter, for a period of time. Overall I enjoy it very much, so coming to here and share some quick impressions.

Fit and size.

The KK is on the larger side for an iem, certainly larger than Traillii or MEST MKii. With this being said, it actually fits me very well. The shell is well made and can comfortably sit on my ears, and I have no problem to get a proper and firm insertion using either the stock tips or CP155.

Sound analysis

The good:
  • I think this is a very well tuned iem. Very balanced overall, quite coherent, and extended on both ends. My only previous experience with Noble was the Sultan. While I enjoy its midrange texture, I found the lack of extension on the top end to sound “boring”. The KK has none of such issue, making it a great everyday iem. I have been using it for more than 2 months and I still enjoy picking it up now.
  • The soundstage and separation is quite impressive: lots of nuanced details. It is on part with or slightly better than many other iems in thr 2K usd range. I think the midrange texture is similar to what Sultan used to deliver, and the extra details could come from the added BCD driver, which I will talk about below.
  • KK’s BCD driver covers the bottom end of the sound, and this is how I hear it too, mainly in the bass region. This is very different from the BCD experience I get from UM’s Indigo or FS, both of which are full range BCD. I think KK’s bass-focused BCD tends to make the overall listening experience more fun, and will suit genres like heavy metal and rock quite well.
Areas of improvement:
  • The sound to me is somewhat diffused with the stock tips or the Fidelity U tip. I ultimately use the CP155 to make the sound much more “focused”, especially for the vocal. I thank @Damz87 for his recommendation on this.
  • The sound can be a bit “rough” from time to time. I do not always get this feeling. However, I can also say that the sound, while being very coherent overall, is not the smoothest I have had. I am probably spoiled by all the other flagships (FS, Traillii, Jewel, Ace…) out there. I don’t think this is an issue that bothers me, otherwise I would not be still using it a lot now, but I think this is something to bring up.
0D3F3F52-0B0A-4312-9A11-66DE22A5A616.jpeg

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #34,050 of 88,428
Semi-related but flight booked for CanJam Singapore (and some extra time for hanging out, of course)

Will also be the first year that I miss NYC due to being only 1 month apart
Hope to see Watercooler guys and gals there! I am planning to be there too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back