The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #34,066 of 88,437
+1 on them sounding different. I owned them both at the same time, and while I didn't have the shielding FT, Orpheus and FT definitely sound different. Orphy has more weight, more midbass, and more forward mids. It also has a more control, more physicality and a rolled off analog top end. FT is more linear, and more sparkle up top. It has less weight, and less grunt and physicality, but yes, the tuning is similar with very specific and notable differences to my ears.

I went back and forth between them many, many times, and there is just something about the Orpheus. Yes, it can be overbearing and make all IEMs sound the same, I agree with that on principle. It may not be a good match with everything, absolutely. But the amount of mojo magic honey sauce is to my ears just not comparable. Especially the midrange is outrageously good, so thunderous where FT is simply clean and open.

If you added Shielding to either of them you get a much darker background which in turn brings out the micro details. It also adds some "magic" that I find hard to describe. So apples to apples I think Orphy does indeed sound notably different, and more magical to my ears. But Shielding on FT will increase its magicness no doubt.

As always, YMMV and not everyone is a fan of the Orpheus. :)

Pretty much agree with this. I did not get to hear the Orpheus and the FT Shielding on the same day, so I cannot describe how they compare. I can say that there is indeed a magic factor that seems to be unique to the shielding cables I have tried including the Meet Again cable that I recently acquired. In addition to the micro details you mention that really refines both the mids and bass of the Traillii in a very good way, the treble becomes more revealing and present to me.

No matter what I pair the FT Shielding cable with, it improves it. Odin, for instance, is fantastic with it. It almost gives the IEM an extra dimension in the sound scape and gives the sound more realism. I can't describe that word very well in this context, but that is the word that comes to mind when I think about it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #34,067 of 88,437
At the same time, at some point you have to trust your own ears, believe or not believe, and pay or not pay for what these cable companies offer. Personally, I have no idea what source any of these companies use for their wire, or even what the true construction of these wires look like versus the illustrated cross sections. I wouldn't know a good wire mfg. from a bad one. And short of independent testing of the metal %'s a cable is supposed to have, you have to rely on the integrity and reputation of the cable maker. Ultimately, the proof is in the pudding, and if it sounds good, I'll make the decision whether or not I'm willing to spend for the varying improvement in sq that cables offer. As many have already pointed out, the actual material cost in all of these high end cables is never going to justify pricing, so you almost have to approach it the same way you would approach purchasing artwork. IMO
Exactly.
I think you should rely on sound and vote with your wallet. How it is done is a problem for engineers, not consumers. Any information that can be distributed by manufacturers is marketing in one way or another. That is, an attempt to influence us, consumers. Taking advantage of our curiosity.

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #34,068 of 88,437
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #34,071 of 88,437
Probably because if you knew how much of a markup they were putting on repurposed Cardas wire noone would buy them 🤭
I'm not sure.

Everyone knows what are made, for example, a car.
What kind of motors, interiors, tires, etc. But try buying components and making, say, a Shelby Cobra. (Unless you're Carroll Shelby).

Cable is easier.
But the influence of various factors is even more noticeable. I sometimes made some cables for myself. And there is no magic here. But there are many variable factors.

Of course, there is the "we won't say anything" approach. But do many cable manufacturers say from whom they buy the conductor and what a conductor it is?

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #34,072 of 88,437
Where did you buy them I can't find anything on Cardas' site.
I cannot either. And when I spoke to them last ( now 5 months ago) they said they did not make IEM cables. They should.
I bought mine aftermarket. Immediately with the connectors I need. They are installed in Romi Audio.
Screenshot_20220829_020020_com.gspace.android_edit_91820193017759.jpg

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #34,073 of 88,437
it's very specific places that can do it, hence it isn't widespread
Mitsubishi doesn't make 8N anymore, it was limited production.
They still make 7N for their cables (Under Acrolink and Esoteric brand names)

Oddly if you read their literature, their DUCC is 7N-Class 99.99998%. Technically that is 6N lol

Yes, absolutely.

And they communicate about the type of impurities. They are alone to do that.

I have had the opportunity to hear their 8n copper XLR interconnect cable (8N-A2080). It is so transparent, dynamic, but smooth.

Really a great product. 😎👍

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #34,074 of 88,437
I bought mine aftermarket. Immediately with the connectors I need. They are installed in Romi Audio.
Screenshot_20220829_020020_com.gspace.android_edit_91820193017759.jpg
Probably just a Cardas headphone cable they reterminated themselves.

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #34,075 of 88,437
Hope to see Watercooler guys and gals there! I am planning to be there too!
+1 on them sounding different. I owned them both at the same time, and while I didn't have the shielding FT, Orpheus and FT definitely sound different. Orphy has more weight, more midbass, and more forward mids. It also has a more control, more physicality and a rolled off analog top end. FT is more linear, and more sparkle up top. It has less weight, and less grunt and physicality, but yes, the tuning is similar with very specific and notable differences to my ears.

I went back and forth between them many, many times, and there is just something about the Orpheus. Yes, it can be overbearing and make all IEMs sound the same, I agree with that on principle. It may not be a good match with everything, absolutely. But the amount of mojo magic honey sauce is to my ears just not comparable. Especially the midrange is outrageously good, so thunderous where FT is simply clean and open.

If you added Shielding to either of them you get a much darker background which in turn brings out the micro details. It also adds some "magic" that I find hard to describe. So apples to apples I think Orphy does indeed sound notably different, and more magical to my ears. But Shielding on FT will increase its magicness no doubt.

As always, YMMV and not everyone is a fan of the Orpheus. :)
Agree 👍

Sep 3, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #34,076 of 88,437
Probably just a Cardas headphone cable they reterminated themselves.
As I said, this is a stock Cardas Clear Light reterminated to 4.4 and 2pin by Romi Audio.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #34,077 of 88,437
For those interested
Here's another budget planar pair with 6 more days to be released
Their first planar - TangZu Audio: Zetian Wu
FB_IMG_1660526973935.jpg
I hope they will will release a different design in the future... Really not into how these look.

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #34,079 of 88,437
Can’t say. If that’s the one I demo’ed, it’s incredible, flagship level.
In the interests of forum transparency would you mind at all if I asked what sort of relationship you have with Empire Ears?

I realise most of us have audio brands that are dear to our hearts, but you seem particularly keen on EE products leading me to wonder if perhaps you're involved with the company in some sort of unofficial capacity.

Apologies if I've offended, just curious to know how it is you've been given behind-the-scenes access to their upcoming IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back