The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 9, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #31,741 of 87,776
I'll add my thumbs up to the endorsements above for the Clear. I sold mine earlier this summer but only because I've moved on to a higher tier of headphones. It does pretty much everything you ask for here, except for the big soundstage. It's too narrow. This was my major gripe with the Clear and would have been a dealbreaker were it not for the clever way Focal did imaging, layering, and separation: there's very specific imaging that makes the sonic image precise and a bit smaller than you get with other headphones, and this means that that there's not only pin-point accuracy to the placement of sounds and instruments but also very good separation and air and space around them, too. In no way is the Clear congested, and I say that as someone who's overly sensitive and fussy about congestion.

The Clear also has very good, if not excellent bass; there's enough mid-bass punch to be satisfying; the sub-bass extends low enough to offer some hefty rumble, and the timbre of acoustic bass instruments is well rendered. The Clear also has the advantage of offering an even and nicely balanced frequency response, with nice, solid mids. The only gripe, really, is a slight amount of steeliness, almost a kind of crystalline hardness, to the treble, but this is source/amp dependent, to a certain extent, and goes away with nice tube amps. I actually prefer the tuning of the Clear over the Utopia, although the latter wins on pretty much every other criterion. I should note that I've not yet heard the Utopia out of my DNA Stratus, which is supposed to improve the soundstage and the treble presentation.

One last thing about the Clear: it has some of the most impressive macrodynamic strength of any headphone; it's not far off the class-leading headphones for this, and it also has great slam. This is amp dependent, though.

---

It's outside the $2k range but I'd encourage you to consider the Rosson Audio RAD-0. You can get b-stock ones for around $2k.

The founder and CEO used to design headphones and work for Audeze, and the RAD-0 shares some of the DNA of high-end Audeze headphones. I've only heard one at CanJam, although I got to hear it for a good 30-45 minutes without many noisy people around me, and I was very impressed. I have the LCD-4 and the RAD-0 is only a smidge behind the LCD-4 when it comes to technicalities, but it is tuned better, by which I mean that it's not as dark and is also more coherent - the big problem with the LCD-4 is its transition through the treble, which is a bit disjointed. The RAD-0 is free of this issue. I know a bunch of guys who have the RAD-0 and love theirs. I'm going to be listening to one of theirs later this week on a personal loaner and I'm super excited to hear it in my own system.

If you're prepared to fork out a bit more cash, the customization options for the RAD-0 are awesome, not just in terms of color scheme (and the choice of chrome/silver and black chassis but also different color grilles), but also in terms of tuning: you can opt for standard, dark, or bright. You can see some of the cool ones here, and another cool option is the opportunity to purchase a recreated design of the RAD-0 for yourself, so if you see something you like, you can get it, too.

The downside of the RAD-0 is that it's hard to audition; there's the option of buying and returning but the 15% fee for doing so makes this option a bit too pricey, especially for you @Scuba Devils, with shipping. I wish they had demo units for audition purposes, even if that involved a 5% fee, which is more manageable.

On the other hand, the RAD-0 is said to be relatively easy to drive and to work well out of DAPs, see here.

Thank you for the extensive reply, definitely a lot for me to consider. Probably better to hold by the sound of things and spend more so as to tick the boxes of my preferences.

Aug 9, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #31,742 of 87,776
Good to hear... Is this Advar starting to approach TZ700 levels of refinement?

TZ700 definitely ahead - my initial impressions are that while Advar has a large stage, the extent of frequency range on TZ700 allows further reach on both ends, which provides a larger sense of stage, plus a more holographic and detailed presentation - Advar more intimate in comparison, and possibly a bit more emotive as a result. I still need to do the all important a/b with TZ700 and others, right now I'm absolutely loving Advar and 100% see me buying one.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #31,743 of 87,776
Top 12? I don't like 12 iems enough to own them, but here's my top 13 (bakers dozen to squeak in the TZ700) overall. I need to represent for the number pump.
Personal usefulness and enjoyment, not listed based on technical merit. But tech merit follows enjoyment closely.

I would not buy anything below #5 that I don't already own. So out of everything I have heard, the only IEM left on the table as a possible purchase would be Phonix.
  1. 64 Audio Fourté Noir
  2. Softears Turii
  3. FiR Audio KR5
  4. Rhapsodio Eden
  5. Vision Ears PHöNIX
  6. Final shichiku.kangen
  7. Unique Melody Mest MKii (w/ SE adapter + EQ + AR-M2)
  8. FiR Audio XE6
  9. Vision Ears EXT
  10. CFA Solaris OG (retired)
  11. FiR Audio NE4
  12. Oriolus Isabellae
  13. Technics EAH-TZ700

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #31,744 of 87,776
Hello friends,

Had a short meetup with @Sajid Amit sir as he visited India for some business trip. We had a small discussion over coffee on Senn IE600(which he liked), Fearless Audio S8F(Which actually surprised him with the performance), and also the BQEYZ Topaz.

Some images(it was a beautiful sunset on my the way so I couldn't resist myself from clicking some images):-
12151.jpeg

512521.jpeg

1224124.jpeg

11234.jpeg

Today's meet was small we didn't have a lot of gear to enjoy either. But we got into a lot of discussions on the IE600.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #31,745 of 87,776
Top 12? I don't like 12 iems enough to own them, but here's my top 13 (bakers dozen to squeak in the TZ700) overall. I need to represent for the number pump.
Personal usefulness and enjoyment, not listed based on technical merit. But tech merit follows enjoyment closely.

I would not buy anything below #5 that I don't already own. So out of everything I have heard, the only IEM left on the table as a possible purchase would be Phonix.
  1. 64 Audio Fourté Noir
  2. Softears Turii
  3. FiR Audio KR5
  4. Rhapsodio Eden
  5. Vision Ears PHöNIX
  6. Final shichiku.kangen
  7. Unique Melody Mest MKii (w/ SE adapter + EQ + AR-M2)
  8. FiR Audio XE6
  9. Vision Ears EXT
  10. CFA Solaris OG (retired)
  11. FiR Audio NE4
  12. Oriolus Isabellae
  13. Technics EAH-TZ700
I love the synergy with mest mk2 ar-m2 as well. What's se adapter?

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #31,746 of 87,776
Advar a bit of a pain in the Meze to get a decent fit, but once achieved, it could lead someone who only recently said no more IEMs for now, to buying another IEM...

These instantly click with me - beautiful tonality, well balanced, very natural presentation with great detail retrieval and a good sized stage. I'd say a ZEN PRO shoot out will be interesting as that's the closest signature in my collection - ZEN PRO probably has fuller mids as one initial observation before an a/b. I'm due the IE600 soon too as part of that tour, another that I suspect would be a worthy participant in a three way shoot out.

Oh and they look and feel beautiful, top notch craftsmanship.

20220809_151110.jpg
Nice impressions! Getting a good seal is certainly important. I am liking the Advar more and more as my brain burns-in with them and that upper-mids splash I mentioned previously seems to have disappeared! For my library they are tipping the scale for my single dd collection.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #31,747 of 87,776
I love the synergy with mest mk2 ar-m2 as well. What's se adapter?
Single ended adapter. Cayin 4.4 to 3.5. It alters the midrange a little bit.
The mest is probably #12-13 without that setup.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #31,748 of 87,776
Nice impressions! Getting a good seal is certainly important. I am liking the Advar more and more as my brain burns-in with them and that upper-mids splash I mentioned previously seems to have disappeared! For my library they are tipping the scale for my single dd collection.

I've been sitting in my garden enjoying another beautiful evening along with Advar, definitely exceeded expectations - I almost opted out of the tour as I read some issues people were experiencing in the uppers, certainly not the case for me so far anyway. But tips definitely very important, I've landed on Azla Standard as they tend to work with smaller shells like this.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #31,749 of 87,776
Top 12! Here goes

1) Trailli
2) Mason Fs
3) Indigo
4) Phonix
5) EXT
6) Technics TZ700
7) lime ears Pneuma
8) Mest mkii
9) Rhapsodio Eden
10) Isabellae
11) Odin
12) Thummim

Edit: Honorable mentions
Legend x
U12t
Zen pro
Thieaudio monarch Og
Mest OG
Timeless

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #31,750 of 87,776
I've been sitting in my garden enjoying another beautiful evening along with Advar, definitely exceeded expectations - I almost opted out of the tour as I read some issues people were experiencing in the uppers, certainly not the case for me so far anyway. But tips definitely very important, I've landed on Azla Standard as they tend to work with smaller shells like this.
Dakoni foams work best for me. The Advar sounds like a more refined Isabellae and is pretty holographic also. I will certainly need to a/b them with Isa, Zen Pro and Vortex.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #31,751 of 87,776
Mmmmm Trailli…… omg 6g usd? I couldn’t bring myself to justify susvara at 6500 cad…… oh but it is to dream.

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #31,752 of 87,776
Top 12:

Traillii
Phonix
Evo
Elysian X (from brief audition at London CanJam)
Thieaudio V16 (from brief audition at London CanJam)
Erlkonig
Legend X
Odin
XE6 (from brief audition at London CanJam)
U18s
U12t
Supermoon (from brief audition at London CanJam)

Aug 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #31,753 of 87,776
I think the V16 is good, as i heard it last at canjam sg, endgame level for many, tbh i prefer it sonically over the u12t if it wasn't for the bulky build. Its tuning is in the same direction as traillii and phoenix, but what i can say for certain is DEFINITELY not at the same level, it doesn't blow you away and has a tendency to be boring after a few listen. It's like comparing a Genesis G80 to a Rolls-Royce Phantom. At least thats how I see or heard it. YMMV.
I was able to briefly audition the V16 at London CanJam and I will say I was thoroughly impressed and that's with the stock cable. It's been a bit since I owned the U12t so I went over to the 64 Audio table to listen to the U12t again then back to the V16 and I did prefer the V16 in my brief time with it. I also liked the V16 over the Monarch mkii. To me the V16 is like a warmer, more engaging version of the Monarch mkii which sounded more flat and reference-y to my ears and didn't capture my attention like the V16 did. Wish I had brought my Phonix to compare but I don't think V16 was on the same level as Phonix let alone the Traillii which I did have with me at the show. Definitely impressive for an all BA at its price point and I'd like to spend more time with it.

Aug 9, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #31,754 of 87,776
Mmmmm Trailli…… omg 6g usd? I couldn’t bring myself to justify susvara at 6500 cad…… oh but it is to dream.

You can buy both in the mid $3k range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back