The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 9, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #31,771 of 89,173
Another itch scratched, I'm actually running out of them - LPGT inbound!

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #31,772 of 89,173
I've been sitting in my garden enjoying another beautiful evening along with Advar, definitely exceeded expectations - I almost opted out of the tour as I read some issues people were experiencing in the uppers, certainly not the case for me so far anyway. But tips definitely very important, I've landed on Azla Standard as they tend to work with smaller shells like this.
Glad you persevered, it's a great IEM.

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #31,773 of 89,173
Both - which as I've not yet reverted to PWA stock to test, I'm questioning to what extent it might be a placebo in the fact that I prefer Martini ergonomics. But my perception is an overall sense of clarity with Martini, allowing details to sound even more distinct, and everything just that bit tighter and pristine - I often hear people talking about a veil being lifted with other cables on various IEMs, and that's what this feels like. But again, might be a wonderful example of placebo, hopefully someone else can test at some point.

I'm enjoying Traillii more than ever since Martini, and even with Jewel to hand, I'm reaching for Traillii almost as much - that says a lot considering I've Traillii about 1 year now, and Jewel only in the door.
Looks Martini would be great for thunder☺️

Aug 9, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #31,774 of 89,173
Just noticed this:

Expected to release in November, 2022. We have secured a limited number of units, only 200 are being made world-wide. As it is a collector’s item, sales are final and cannot be returned.

The D8000 Pro from Final Audio is one of the brand’s most prestigious items and one of the best high-end planar headphones on the market. Now you can get this phenomenal semi-open back headphone in a new limited edition style. This isn’t just a color variation, but a quality reconstruction of the D8000 Pro, with upgraded materials and 2 new cables. Only 200 units will be available worldwide, so if you’re a collector looking to grab what is sure to be a rarity headphone, you might not want to wait until the last minute to reserve a pair. Here is a list of all the new additions you can expect from this new variation.
  • Authentic Premium Matte Black Housing
  • Gold Plated Inner Meshed Plate of AFDS Driver
  • Alumite-Black Hanger Headband
  • Earpads Made from Washi Japanese Paper
  • XLR 4-Pin Silver-Coated Cable 3.0m
  • 4.4mm TRRRS OFC Cable 1.5m
  • Attache Case-Type New Carrying Case with TSA Lock
    1660065254997.png
    1660065273323.png

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #31,775 of 89,173
I've been sitting in my garden enjoying another beautiful evening along with Advar, definitely exceeded expectations - I almost opted out of the tour as I read some issues people were experiencing in the uppers, certainly not the case for me so far anyway. But tips definitely very important, I've landed on Azla Standard as they tend to work with smaller shells like this.
Advar is a nice enough IEM if you can get the very small shell to fit properly, and don’t mind it’s spicy treble.

I tried every tip I own, and only the Azla Xelastec would give me a proper seal, but the shallow fit exacerbated the treble spikiness.
Using a tube amplifier and EQing down a few db around 7k worked ok on most tracks, but I still got the occasional nasty dose of treble. I think foam tips could have helped tame this a bit further, but none of the 8 different types I have in multiple sizes would seal properly.

Ultimately Advar is just not for me, which is a little surprising to me considering how much I adore Meze’s Empyrean.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #31,777 of 89,173
Aug 9, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #31,778 of 89,173
I enjoy many aspects of the sound of my recently acquired Meze Empyrean, but I can't help feel that they sometimes lack energy.
Like, I'd be waiting for them to explode with the music but they just, don't. I imagine this is the downside of their rich, bassy sound signature...

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #31,779 of 89,173
Crinacle says thieaudio v16 is just as good as traillii for a fifth of the price. 🤔

Edit: Crin's opinion not mine. Not saying i agree or disagree , don't shoot the messenger.

The v16 is excellent and I feel the Monarch Mk2 is better as does Crin. However, even the rep from Linsoul liked my Traillii allot. I disagree with Crin in his rating of the Traillii. I think he and others just wanted to bash it. However, I do not disagree on the quality of the V16 and Monarch MK2. For someone with a limited budget, I would recommend either and then tell them to walk away and be happy.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #31,781 of 89,173
I enjoy many aspects of the sound of my recently acquired Meze Empyrean, but I can't help feel that they sometimes lack energy.
Like, I'd be waiting for them to explode with the music but they just, don't. I imagine this is the downside of their rich, bassy sound signature...
You are better off with the Meze Elite. The Empyrean was my first love in the headphone game, and I owned it twice, but in retrospect it has some serious flaws, for my taste.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #31,783 of 89,173
You are better off with the Meze Elite. The Empyrean was my first love in the headphone game, and I owned it twice, but in retrospect it has some serious flaws, for my taste.
Yes definitely flawed. Or, more politely: a clear choice was made on the sound signature and it was taken in a very specific direction rather than trying to deliver a "complete package" if that makes sense. It's (very) well executed but it's also compromised. No wonder they are a divisive headphone.
To be fair, using the EQ on my Mojo2 does bring some energy to the top end, but I feel I'm almost working "against" the headphone by doing that...

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #31,784 of 89,173
I can't help feel that they sometimes lack energy.
I suspect it might be a couple of things; it might have something to do with your amp pairing or it might be intrinsic to the headphones. I only heard the Empy briefly and it didn't strike me as having much slam or macrodynamic strength. But this is from unreliable memory from long ago and with only a brief audition. What amp or source are you using?

If anything, a bass-heavy headphone should have a better chance of giving plenty of slam.

Aug 9, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #31,785 of 89,173
I suspect it might be a couple of things; it might have something to do with your amp pairing or it might be intrinsic to the headphones. I only heard the Empy briefly and it didn't strike me as having much slam or macrodynamic strength. But this is from unreliable memory from long ago and with only a brief audition. What amp or source are you using?

If anything, a bass-heavy headphone should have a better chance of giving plenty of slam.
My chain is Mojo2 into LP G109 amp. Nothing earth shattering but the G109 is no slouch either in my experience.

Maybe I should clarify a bit: it's less about the bass slam (it's not a "thin" sounding headphone by any stretch), and more about a certain "laziness" or lack or urgency in the treble. This is supported by the FR graph, and anecdotal reports from other users. However I wasn't fully prepared for it in real life and it caught me a little off guard; I didn't imagine such high end phones could be this compromised; put another way, they make a very clear and distinct FR choice and you either love it or hate it.

I do enjoy many things about the sound, but I don't think I could live with the Empyrean being my only set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back