The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #31,801 of 90,305
Just another day turning into night
Enjoy ... 🙏
IMG20220809182316-02.jpeg

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #31,802 of 90,305
Just another day turning into night
Enjoy ... 🙏

Is it just me or does music sound better at night? It's like the quietness brings out all the details and nuances of the music so much more. Maybe it's my brain but I just get that feeling when I go into tube mode with my N3Pro and Solaris 2020.

Also, I couldn't resist trying out the iBasso DX170. :D

1660095972364.png

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #31,805 of 90,305
I’ve been meaning to type something up about it, ugh, I love it.

Would you describe it as warm leaning, bright leaning, neutral etc?

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #31,806 of 90,305
I’ve been meaning to type something up about it, ugh, I love it.
You and @twister6 are the reason I wanted to try it out. Canada does not have ANY distributors for iBasso gear which sucks so I just went and pulled the trigger on Hifigo. I spoke with the owner at Headfoneshop here for literally 2 hours on just life and gear and asked him why he never sold iBasso and his answer was, 'they wouldn't take him as a reseller.' LOL, I found that to be one of the strangest answers ever.

Oh well, Canada has limited pickings for retailers that sell niche gear.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #31,807 of 90,305
They have numerous IEMs on that line but the FW10K is the TOTL one. If you put any stock in driver & shell materials influencing timbre then you need to hear those IEMs with their wooden shells and wooden diaphragms just to add it to your list of experiences. Don't take the FR at face value-- this IEM really surprised me. The bass is certainly not the star of the show but it's a lot better than the graph makes it look. I doubt it would be sustainable as an allrounder for me but man that timbre put a spell on me
Yeah i had the old jvc wood iem. The timber is a strong factor in what made me purchase the 1800.

Definitely reminds me of the old car audio days where the subwoofers were stored in a special wooden box.

maxresdefault.jpg

The knocking wood sound definitely adds something unique to the collection of iems IMHO.

Screenshots_2022-08-09-17-48-16.png

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #31,808 of 90,305
Would you describe it as warm leaning, bright leaning, neutral etc?

I’d say neutral/smooth with a little bit of richness to the notes. Maybe some people would describe that as warm but not for me. I find it really easy to listen to and “musical”, it’s been an awesome match for all of my IEMs. The UI can be a little laggy but its nothing I find a deal breaker for the price and sound quality.

N8ii has better texture and more detail, it’s a more revealing sound and as more emphasis on the upper mids and treble area.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #31,809 of 90,305
I’d say neutral/smooth with a little bit of richness to the notes. Maybe some people would describe that as warm but not for me. I find it really easy to listen to and “musical”, it’s been an awesome match for all of my IEMs. The UI can be a little laggy but its nothing I find a deal breaker for the price and sound quality.

N8ii has better texture and more detail, it’s a more revealing sound and as more emphasis on the upper mids and treble area.

How powerful is it? I'm looking for a more powerful pocketable option alongside my SR25ii...this is one of the DAPs I'm considering. Shanling's new one is another...but I've never heard an Ibasso DAP and the curiosity is there.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #31,810 of 90,305
I found Bloom Audio's description also interesting and potentially resonates with my taste. Remains to be seen but I have high hopes for it! I still haven't heard a good description of iBasso's house sound.

SOUND

DX170 maintains the iBasso house sound, and moves the overall performance a step closer to the high end sound quality of the DX240 or DX320. You get good treble extension, rich mids, and excellent, accurate bass delivery. The soundstage and stereo image are excellent as well, providing a three-dimensional, holographic delivery.

In the bass, DX170 provides deep extension and good dynamics along with detail and texture that provides a lifelike feeling to bass guitars and kick drums. The overall low-end feeling is one of linearity and accuracy. The mids are very well balanced. For headphones with stronger midrange, you have a rich detailed presentation, and more v-shaped headphones will have the midrange well-supported to fill in some of the missing mids. The treble extends strongly, with a great sense of resolution and transparency along with a strong definition that can border on graininess with brighter headphones. The treble ultimately avoids any tendency towards sibilance and fatigue, given you a reference sound, not an analytical one.

Rockwell75 said:
How powerful is it? I'm looking for a more powerful pocketable option alongside my SR25ii...this is one of the DAPs I'm considering. Shanling's new one is another...but I've never heard an Ibasso DAP and the curiosity is there.
With regards to power, this might help answer your question? Also from the Bloom Audio Blog.

DX170’s power delivery is another highlight. The specs lists the power at 3.2V max unbalanced and 6.4V max balanced, without providing specific wattage at various impedance levels, but the current delivery seems very consistent. Testing with moderately power hungry headphones ranging from the Dan Clark Aeon 2 Noire to the HIFIMAN HE1000v2, DX170 provides excellent performance from the balanced output (though the maximum volume will leave some listeners unsatisfied with headphones at the level of the HE1000v2), but even in single-ended operation, the Aeon Noire, sounded quite good, as did a range of other moderately hard to drive headphones like the Audeze LCD-2.

With IEMs, the noise floor was very low, giving you a pitch black background with most IEMs, with the balanced output feeling particularly inky. If there was any hint of hiss with sensitive IEMs, it was nearly imperceptible and less audible than the ambient noise/vibration of my cubicle or bedroom. The general shielding also seems to be a step up from the DX160. DX160 could occasionally pick up interference while on the wifi with sensitive IEMs, but I didn’t experience anything of the sort in my time with DX170.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #31,811 of 90,305

I had no issues “driving” the Elysian Annihilator and Diva with it which are the two most power hungry IEMs I had in my possession. I couldn’t notice any loss of dynamics. The bass control isn’t as impressive as the N8ii, it’s a little more boomy and not as tight but I mean… I’m not expecting it to match that level of SQ obviously. It’s seriously impressive though, and the fact it’s $450 has me 🤯.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #31,812 of 90,305
Interestingly @twister6 described the sound from DX170 4.4mm similar to that from tube mode of Cayin N3pro.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #31,813 of 90,305
Interestingly @twister6 described the sound from DX170 4.4mm similar to that from tube mode of Cayin N3pro.
When I asked @twister6 to describe the difference, that statement alone probably contributed to 80% of my decision to pull the trigger. Its such a good looking DAP, form factor and aesthetics for everyday usage looks to be right up my alley and use case. It'll be an interesting compare for me between this and the N3Pro.

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #31,814 of 90,305
I can agree.

I've been in this hobby for a long time. Before Crinacle and people like bggar we didn't really have reviewers, instead we had glorified promoters. Everything was awesome no grading system and no reliable way to make a purchase. The more something costs, the better it was to the promoters.

Actually, we had ljokerl and ClieOS who i find to be much better reviewers compared to all the current ones. Too bad they quit long ago, ClieOS still drops by once a while but isn't much in the scene any longer while ljokerl has totally dropped off the radar

Aug 9, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #31,815 of 90,305
I had no issues “driving” the Elysian Annihilator and Diva with it which are the two most power hungry IEMs I had in my possession. I couldn’t notice any loss of dynamics. The bass control isn’t as impressive as the N8ii, it’s a little more boomy and not as tight but I mean… I’m not expecting it to match that level of SQ obviously. It’s seriously impressive though, and the fact it’s $450 has me 🤯.
How does it compare to Cayin n3pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back