The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #30,766 of 88,379
Salutations Head-Fi Watercooler from chilly Melbourne!

Tonight I had the very great pleasure to attend a concert of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra at our world-famous Arts Centre, with some dear friends of mine - the DX240 and IE600s!

MSO1.jpg

Previously I haven't been much of classical listener despite a longstanding adoration of movie soundtracks, and consequently this was my first proper concert in years. In fact what with the pandemic I'd almost completely forgotten what real instruments sound like!

Tonight's performance was Dvorak's New World Symphony, Symphony No. 9. I prepared for the occasion by purchasing a new version in DSD256 format from NativeDSD.com, which you see being played above. As expected it sounds appreciably better than the humble 16/44 FLAC album I already owned.

MSO2.jpg

The house was perhaps three-quarters full. It's almost the middle of winter here, which would no doubt discourage attendance.

This was probably my first time at Hamer Hall since a school excursion countless eons ago, a venue reputed to have tremendous acoustics. I'm certainly no acoustical expert but what I heard tonight sounded breathtaking.

MSO3.jpg

It took less than the first second of the performance, two if I'm being generous, for realisation of how far away musical reproduction technology is from reality to sink in.

This is by no means an expression of dissatisfaction with the portable rig I own. Indeed it is nothing short of remarkable what incredible sound is possible from pocketable gadgetry for (comparatively) reasonable prices these days. Particularly with DSD128 or higher recordings, which I find have substantially improved dynamic range.

However the real thing is just a completely different experience. What immediately struck me was the earth-shattering dynamics of the performance. When the horns and drums really fire up, as they do periodically throughout the New World Symphony, the sound is absolutely thunderous. There is a tremendous sensation of loudness and power, of visceral force without distortion or smearing of sounds around them. The sensation is partly physical, and satisfying in a way that borders on sexual.

This is contrasted exquisitely to the utmost delicacy with which string instruments can convey wispy tenderness at low volumes, yet remain effortless to discern. Actually, and you may find this funny, one of the most satisfying instruments was the triangle - I was absolutely captivated by the unmistakable resonances of its' metallic decay, which despite the zest and fury of the orchestra around it rang out in a delightful manner I lack the words to convey.

Of course the other great difference was being able to effortlessly pick out individual instruments even when the rest of the orchestra was playing. To really zero in on a flute or a french horn, to hear the notes with such body ring out unimpeded, without feeling compressed by the confines of a recording.

Another revelation was the remarkable bite and zing that instruments (strings in particular) possessed. The sheer attack on certain notes, not all mind you but merely those the performers chose to play that way, was terribly satisfying yet not the least bit fatiguing. In fact the entire performance did not fatigue the ear in the slightest, despite the loudest passages being very loud indeed. It was all effortlessly thunderous in the most richly delicate manner, a magnificent collection of musical contrasts.

From an audiophile perspective, my biggest takeaway from tonight is that frequency graphs probably matter less than people think, but technicalities more, at least from the perspective of re-creating a true to life orchestral performance. Dynamics I think are the big one, along with sheer speed. Nailing the tone of a piano or a violin is important of course, but without those jaw-dropping dynamics and sizzling bursts of a strings appearing out of nowhere the performance will lack drama. In fact I had no idea just how truly dramatic the New World Symphony is before tonight, recordings don't capture the raw emotional punch and the extreme contrasts the same way.

Anyway, tonight was quite the occasion and will not be the last concert I attend this year. Listening to the performance it was impossible to shirk the notion that we in the west possess a rich cultural heritage to be incredibly proud of.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #30,767 of 88,379

Tonight I had the very great pleasure to attend a concert of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra at our world-famous Arts Centre, with some dear friends of mine - the DX240 and IE600s!

MSO1.jpg

Previously I haven't been much of classical listener despite a longstanding adoration of movie soundtracks, and consequently this was my first proper concert in years. In fact what with the pandemic I'd almost completely forgotten what real instruments sound like!

Tonight's performance was Dvorak's New World Symphony, Symphony No. 9. I prepared for the occasion by purchasing a new version in DSD256 format from NativeDSD.com, which you see being played above. As expected it sounds appreciably better than the humble 16/44 FLAC album I already owned.

MSO2.jpg

The house was perhaps three-quarters full. It's almost the middle of winter here, which would no doubt discourage attendance.

This was probably my first time at Hamer Hall since a school excursion countless eons ago, a venue reputed to have tremendous acoustics. I'm certainly no acoustical expert but what I heard tonight sounded breathtaking.

MSO3.jpg

It took less than the first second of the performance, two if I'm being generous, for realisation of how far away musical reproduction technology is from reality to sink in.

This is by no means an expression of dissatisfaction with the portable rig I own. Indeed it is nothing short of remarkable what incredible sound is possible from pocketable gadgetry for (comparatively) reasonable prices these days. Particularly with DSD128 or higher recordings, which I find have substantially improved dynamic range.

However the real thing is just a completely different experience. What immediately struck me was the earth-shattering dynamics of the performance. When the horns and drums really fire up, as they do periodically throughout the New World Symphony, the sound is absolutely thunderous. There is a tremendous sensation of loudness and power, of visceral force without distortion or smearing of sounds around them. The sensation is partly physical, and satisfying in a way that borders on sexual.

This is contrasted exquisitely to the utmost delicacy with which string instruments can convey wispy tenderness at low volumes, yet remain effortless to discern. Actually, and you may find this funny, one of the most satisfying instruments was the triangle - I was absolutely captivated by the unmistakable resonances of its' metallic decay, which despite the zest and fury of the orchestra around it rang out in a delightful manner I lack the words to convey.

Of course the other great difference was being able to effortlessly pick out individual instruments even when the rest of the orchestra was playing. To really zero in on a flute or a french horn, to hear the notes with such body ring out unimpeded, without feeling compressed by the confines of a recording.

Another revelation was the remarkable bite and zing that instruments (strings in particular) possessed. The sheer attack on certain notes, not all mind you but merely those the performers chose to play that way, was terribly satisfying yet not the least bit fatiguing. In fact the entire performance did not fatigue the ear in the slightest, despite the loudest passages being very loud indeed. It was all effortlessly thunderous in the most richly delicate manner, a magnificent collection of musical contrasts.

From an audiophile perspective, my biggest takeaway from tonight is that frequency graphs probably matter less than people think, but technicalities more, at least from the perspective of re-creating a true to life orchestral performance. Dynamics I think are the big one, along with sheer speed. Nailing the tone of a piano or a violin is important of course, but without those jaw-dropping dynamics and sizzling bursts of a strings appearing out of nowhere the performance will lack drama. In fact I had no idea just how truly dramatic the New World Symphony is before tonight, recordings don't capture the raw emotional punch and the extreme contrasts the same way.

Anyway, tonight was quite the occasion and will not be the last concert I attend this year. Listening to the performance it was impossible to shirk the notion that we in the west possess a rich cultural heritage to be incredibly proud of.
Sounds amazing.

You just caused me to add visiting Melbourne and attending the Symphony Orchestra to my bucket list.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:06 AM Post #30,768 of 88,379

MSO1.jpg

MSO2.jpg

MSO3.jpg

Lucky you, being able to listen to one of the best symphonies from a world class orchestra.

Yup, real orchestra is shockingly dynamic. Even violin solo has a larger dynamic range in real life than what most IEMs can reproduce. I was able to attend a violin concert by Ray Chen once. It’s breathtaking how he can go so quiet and then scale up to a thunderous forte so effortlessly.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #30,769 of 88,379
Seen Montreal, Toronto, New York, Chicago, sanfrancisco, Seattle, Budapest, Boston, symphonies prior to Covid. I hope one year to be able to go again without risk…. But until then nice memories

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #30,770 of 88,379
I’m super excited for an upcoming live performance. The wife and I are visiting Spain. Rather than just visiting Palau de la Musica Catalana during the day, we’re going in the early evening for a tour followed by a piano concert.

Aug 1, 2022 at 8:59 AM Post #30,771 of 88,379

MSO1.jpg

MSO2.jpg

MSO3.jpg

Beautifully written. Truth be told, there's physically no way for a headphone or IEM system to accurately reproduce the subtleties, power and physical presence of a live performance. Head-fi is a different and quite unique presentation in and of itself, and should never, in my opinion, be held up against a live performance as a barometer of quality. It's like comparing a high-resolution print of an apple with an actual apple. The closest we can come to reproducing a live performance at home is with a dedicated, treated room and a high-end, well-constructed and tuned 2-channel system. Head-fi is for personal enjoyment, portability and the ability to quickly and easily mix and match different tunings to taste. That's not to say it's any better or worse, but comparing it to 'the real thing' is a fool's errand.

Glad you enjoyed. I miss visiting Melbourne very much. If we ever moved back to Australia, that's where we'd settle for sure.

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #30,772 of 88,379
Hello all I'm going to be listing my Szalayi so I thought I'd offer it up here first-- $750 US via PP F&F shipped anywhere in North America.

Aug 1, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #30,773 of 88,379
Crossed a threshold number today with 2000 posts. Really appreciate HeadFi for giving me this outlet. And this crowd at the Water Cooler is an amazing group of people.

5D4C8DE0-62DD-48A2-83AE-FA959BD1161F.jpeg

I got back to Pennsylvania last night from the Bahamas I was with 25 people from three companies that were all part of a large business deal. Sticking my toe into the lifestyle of the very wealthy. A mixture of young analysts and various levels of deal management. For the guys at the top this lifestyle is every day. I do not find wealth and manicured landscapes very inspiring from a creation of things perspective, which is my life for the most part.

While talking one on one with the group at various occasions music was something I always brought up to try and see if music was important to them and how and what they listened to. There was one person out of the 25 that was invested in music, in his case Classical though open to other genres and hungry for more musical experiences.

This brings me back to how special this group is.

I did a little drawing on the balcony of my condo which was in an eight story building with two luxury condos on each floor. The eighth floor was a single larger condo. This is one of several buildings around the marina with one more under construction. The largest yacht that can dock in this marina is 260 feet, though larger yachts anchor in the ocean and those owners have smaller boats they use to finish the trip to the resort.

Sitting on that balcony on two of the days for a couple hours I sketched while listening to my headphones, one of my favorite things to do.
Couple of those sketches and a phone snap of a more abstract image.

5EF93D37-5FD5-4D2C-94CF-F7AB283EC012.jpeg

7A7E589F-B857-435D-891B-7139CA4725DC.jpeg

16FE16A8-0D27-45F0-BC7E-87AB4BFA2222.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #30,774 of 88,379
Hello all I'm going to be listing my Szalayi so I thought I'd offer it up here first-- $750 US via PP F&F shipped anywhere in North America.
That was a short stint.. Care to elaborate?

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #30,776 of 88,379
My guess, it's NAGAS (Not As Good As Supermoon).
Most of my IEMs are NAGAT but I still love them, because they are still (close to) TOTL and each has something unique to offer.. 😊

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #30,778 of 88,379
That was a short stint.. Care to elaborate?

A week is quite a while when you're on holidays with lots of time to listen. Also, one of the side effects of participating in this hobby systematically for long enough is that you learn to recognize really quickly when something is not for you.

That said-- Szalayi for me has two great strengths, namely its DD bass & planar mids. The highs, to my ears, make it less of an all-rounder for my tastes & library. They're generally ok but every now and again they get a little too energetic/fatiguing for me-- coming off a little glassy/congested/harsh-- and I find myself reaching for the skip button here and there...something I never do with Supermoon (or EXT, or Zen Pro for that matter). Ultimately as a planar it can't top the satisfaction I get from my Supermoon and the Dorado 2020 still wins the day for me as a bassier indulgence (even though I seldom feel inclined to pick it up these days).

I think @Rockwell75 might have drunk some of my one-and-done Kool Aid :sweat_smile:

I have to an extent-- but when I had Dorado 2020, Zen Pro and EXT simultaneously I quite enjoyed switching between them depending on my mood and after a few months I didn't feel any of them were getting neglected. People are probably tired of me waxing on about Supermoon by now but the fact is that it's revealed to me that single planars are my driver & setup of choice. I loved listening to Szalayi (and Zen Pro, and EXT and everything else I've come across in the last few months) but whenever I go back to Supermoon I feel less inclined to try anything else. YMMV, and all that.

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #30,779 of 88,379
Did someone try the Shozy Magma? I have been told that Shozy tuned this tribrid with Maestria and that the vocals are beautifully rendered. It’s an USD 499.- set and I am on the market for that kind of signature at this price.

These are my first Tribrids and I love them so far! They have the right amount of treble for great detail retrieval. No fatigue at all. Bass can rumble if needed and it has also good punch/slam. The midrange is relatively unobtrusive, overall tuned for a bigger soundstage (dip in the 3k & 6k range). Don't get me wrong vocals sound decent but I think there are more engaging IEMs for vocal lovers.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #30,780 of 88,379
@SeeSax (Collin) and I were able to complete our review of the Kublai Khan. It is an IEM worth checking out. Sorry about Leroy the interviewer being a little gruff in the way he interviews. It has been a pleasure working with Collin on this review. Collin is a true audio legend!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kublai-khan.25955/reviews

@Jackpot77 also has a very good review of the Kublai that he published a few days ago. It is right after the review that Collin and I did.

IMG_8838.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back