The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 1, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #30,781 of 87,609
I spent a good portion of the day yesterday rewiring my office desktop rig; adding in in some better power conditioning and separating power and audio runs and the like. I also built a pi2aes streamer using Ropiee and got that up and running in Roon. I also got a wifi bridge up in my office and got my audio playback devices connected into the switch via Cat6 Ethernet. This is the single biggest gain in sound quality I have made in playback in some time.

I am listening to the same gear minus the pi2aes as I did last week... but this morning I am even closer to my music. The Aroma Audio Thunder is still winning on ear time... my Wallet is scared of hearing the Jewel at CanJam in September...

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #30,782 of 87,609
I spent a good portion of the day yesterday rewiring my office desktop rig; adding in in some better power conditioning and separating power and audio runs and the like. I also built a pi2aes streamer using Ropiee and got that up and running in Roon. I also got a wifi bridge up in my office and got my audio playback devices connected into the switch via Cat6 Ethernet. This is the single biggest gain in sound quality I have made in playback in some time.

I am listening to the same gear minus the pi2aes as I did last week... but this morning I am even closer to my music. The Aroma Audio Thunder is still winning on ear time... my Wallet is scared of hearing the Jewel at CanJam in September...
start saving up for the Jewel :beyersmile:

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #30,783 of 87,609
@SeeSax (Collin) and I were able to complete our review of the Kublai Khan. It is an IEM worth checking out. Sorry about Leroy the interviewer being a little gruff in the way he interviews. It has been a pleasure working with Collin on this review. Collin is a true audio legend!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/noble-audio-kublai-khan.25955/reviews

@Jackpot77 also has a very good review of the Kublai that he published a few days ago. It is right after the review that Collin and I did.

IMG_8838.JPG
I got a chance to audition the Kublai khan at a recent event in my country. I actually listened to the top 2 from Noble's lineup, the Kublai Khan and the Sultan. While both of them are excellent at what they offer, Sultan came out to be more to my liking, the only issue with Kublai for me was its upper mids being a little extra forward than what I prefer. But an excellent set nonetheless.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #30,784 of 87,609
Has Vision Ears anything to do with Italy?
I thought it was a purely German company based in Cologne
Sure but designer is Italian and he lives in Rome, Oliver is great guy!

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #30,785 of 87,609
I was intrigued with Aroma Jewel but how was Jewel with metal music genre? Like Metallica, Dream Theater, Trivium, Sepultura, Gojira, Cattle Decapitation, etc.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #30,786 of 87,609
…is that last one real?

🤭

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #30,787 of 87,609
…is that last one real?

🤭
Yep!

The singer's a great vocalist. Granted they're not for everyone.

In all honesty Cattle Decap is probably a great benchmark for metal fans who want to test a headphones speed and instrument separation.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #30,788 of 87,609
I was intrigued with Aroma Jewel but how was Jewel with metal music genre? Like Metallica, Dream Theater, Trivium, Sepultura, Gojira, Cattle Decapitation, etc.
wait.... i get that you are from east java like i am and i understand some religious celebrations have sacrificial feasts... but cattle decapitation....? I guess noise is music too huh hmm :hushed:

EDIT : oops sorry i didn't know it was a band name! my bad!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #30,789 of 87,609
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #30,790 of 87,609
wait.... i get that you are from east java like i am and i understand some religious celebrations have sacrificial feasts... but cattle decapitation....? I guess noise is music too huh hmm :hushed:

EDIT : oops sorry i didn't know it was a band name! my bad!
Yes its a band name, their singer and lead guitarist is a vegan though.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #30,791 of 87,609
For extreme metal band their last album production quality is really good.
Agreed.
Yes its a band name, their singer and lead guitarist is a vegan though.
Cattle Decapitation's songs protest the mistreatment and consumption of animals. And more broadly abuse of the environment. Much of the band's music is based on putting humans in the situations that animals are subjected to, for example animal testing, slaughter, etc.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #30,792 of 87,609
gotcha...they're using their name to catch your attention and evoke an emotional response.

but their message is actually against, not for, animal slaughtering.

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #30,793 of 87,609

As it should…. As it should :) hf at canjam socal !

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #30,794 of 87,609
Hello Watercooler Friends. I have missed all of you and this hobby a great deal. Been lurking for a few weeks catching up before logging back in. It’s been fun catching up with all of you via your posts. Some of you have jumped all the way in the sonic waters and others scaled back. Love this community and I’m happy to say I am back to converse and enjoy the journey along with all of you.

I’m empty handed audio wise atm but hoping to slowly make my way back. Heavily debating my first iem purchase back into the hobby. Jewel, Trailli, XE6, mason are all out of my $$ range. Considering the Indigo, Thunder or Kublai Khan. Those are my three contenders but also open to suggestion and criticism 🫣

Hello from San Francisco
35034B41-2C1E-425C-9198-0E8A25023E6D.jpeg
83B5BA44-1520-414D-BDF7-F88E259DAC72.jpeg
3D165F53-98EC-40D4-9FCE-39828DE4AFBF.jpeg

My backyard!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back