The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 1, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #30,797 of 87,650
Hello Watercooler Friends. I have missed all of you and this hobby a great deal. Been lurking for a few weeks catching up before logging back in. It’s been fun catching up with all of you via your posts. Some of you have jumped all the way in the sonic waters and others scaled back. Love this community and I’m happy to say I am back to converse and enjoy the journey along with all of you.

I’m empty handed audio wise atm but hoping to slowly make my way back. Heavily debating my first iem purchase back into the hobby. Jewel, Trailli, XE6, mason are all out of my $$ range. Considering the Indigo, Thunder or Kublai Khan. Those are my three contenders but also open to suggestion and criticism 🫣

Hello from San Francisco
35034B41-2C1E-425C-9198-0E8A25023E6D.jpeg
83B5BA44-1520-414D-BDF7-F88E259DAC72.jpeg
3D165F53-98EC-40D4-9FCE-39828DE4AFBF.jpeg

My backyard!!
Welcome back! I really missed you. All of those choices are great. If those are your choices, I would pick up an Indigo because there are plenty of them out there are the prices are great for it. Great low cost entry back into the game!

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #30,798 of 87,650
Hello Watercooler Friends. I have missed all of you and this hobby a great deal. Been lurking for a few weeks catching up before logging back in. It’s been fun catching up with all of you via your posts. Some of you have jumped all the way in the sonic waters and others scaled back. Love this community and I’m happy to say I am back to converse and enjoy the journey along with all of you.

I’m empty handed audio wise atm but hoping to slowly make my way back. Heavily debating my first iem purchase back into the hobby. Jewel, Trailli, XE6, mason are all out of my $$ range. Considering the Indigo, Thunder or Kublai Khan. Those are my three contenders but also open to suggestion and criticism 🫣

Hello from San Francisco

My backyard!!

Pleasant surprise…welcome back! I hope you’ve been well. Looking forward to your contributions :) Now I just need @drftr to come back and drop his long-awaited u12t impressions and my life will be complete.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #30,799 of 87,650
A week is quite a while when you're on holidays with lots of time to listen. Also, one of the side effects of participating in this hobby systematically for long enough is that you learn to recognize really quickly when something is not for you.

That said-- Szalayi for me has two great strengths, namely its DD bass & planar mids. The highs, to my ears, make it less of an all-rounder for my tastes & library. They're generally ok but every now and again they get a little too energetic/fatiguing for me-- coming off a little glassy/congested/harsh-- and I find myself reaching for the skip button here and there...something I never do with Supermoon (or EXT, or Zen Pro for that matter). Ultimately as a planar it can't top the satisfaction I get from my Supermoon and the Dorado 2020 still wins the day for me as a bassier indulgence (even though I seldom feel inclined to pick it up these days).

I have to an extent-- but when I had Dorado 2020, Zen Pro and EXT simultaneously I quite enjoyed switching between them depending on my mood and after a few months I didn't feel any of them were getting neglected. People are probably tired of me waxing on about Supermoon by now but the fact is that it's revealed to me that single planars are my driver & setup of choice. I loved listening to Szalayi (and Zen Pro, and EXT and everything else I've come across in the last few months) but whenever I go back to Supermoon I feel less inclined to try anything else. YMMV, and all that.
Have you tried Planar HP? Maybe it's time.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #30,800 of 87,650
Have you tried Planar HP? Maybe it's time.
Definitely interested in the experience but I have no real desire (or need) to pursue full size.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #30,801 of 87,650
I thought I would rank the IEMs I listened to at Canjam on Saturday from my most to least favourite. This is based solely on my own enjoyment of each one and is not intended to be a ‘what’s best’ type of list.

Kr5
Elysian X
U12t
Supermoon
Storm
Xe6
EXT
U18s
Sultan
Kublai Khan
Forte
Thummim
Thieaudio Divinity
Nio
Elysian / EA project
Jomo GT600

There was so many more IEMs I wanted to try but I just didn’t have enough time in the day. Next year I think I will book to go to Canjam for the two days it’s on rather than just one.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #30,802 of 87,650

Hello from San Francisco

My backyard!!

Good to see you back and hope all is well!

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #30,804 of 87,650
I was intrigued with Aroma Jewel but how was Jewel with metal music genre? Like Metallica, Dream Theater, Trivium, Sepultura, Gojira, Cattle Decapitation, etc.
Jewel is great for metal and heavier genres. Very clean, super separation, guitars are epic. I spent a good part of today on an Animals As Leaders kick. I'm a big fan of Gojira and Trivium too. Definitely all amazing on the Jewel.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #30,805 of 87,650

Hello from San Francisco

My backyard!!
Welcome back buddy! Nice to see a member of the ol' Mason FS crew.

Regarding your next purchase, I would recc picking up an Indigo off classifieds and converting to a CIEM down the line. Indigo is a marvelous set, I believe the re-shell fee is 800 dollars or so.

Of course, auditioning is a priority and Musicteck should have all models available to demo.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #30,806 of 87,650
Hey, y'all. 'Returning from a short break myself to share the song that's been stuck in my head since it came out last Thursday. It's called Bet from Snarky Puppy's long, long-awaited (for me, at least) record, Empire State. It's got shades of Southern gospel, a little bit of New Orleans, and a taste of Brazil too. And, the video itself is a pure joy to watch, from little moments like the drum trade-offs, to bigger ones like the solos, to just the overall vibe of almost-20 (!) top-tier musicians in a room having fun.

'Hope you guys enjoy the track as much as I do, and I'll be seeing y'all again with some new content soon. Cheers. :wink:

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #30,807 of 87,650
Finally got my Jewel CIEM back from their reshell... 6 weeks :frowning2: I asked Aroma for some custom wood faceplate options and boy did they deliver. They look awesome, and the fit is perfect and comfy. I am stoked.

And the sound, with Orpheus and LP6 Ti AE.... is bonkers good.

20220801_131706-01.jpg

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #30,808 of 87,650
Finally got my Jewel CIEM back from their reshell... 6 weeks :frowning2: I asked Aroma for some custom wood faceplate options and boy did they deliver. They look awesome, and the fit is perfect and comfy. I am stoked.

And the sound, with Orpheus and LP6 Ti AE.... is bonkers good.

20220801_131706-01.jpg

Glad you got this sorted and they fit well. They look great! Enjoy!

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #30,809 of 87,650
Hey, y'all. 'Returning from a short break myself to share the song that's been stuck in my head since it came out last Thursday. It's called Bet from Snarky Puppy's long, long-awaited (for me, at least) record, Empire State. It's got shades of Southern gospel, a little bit of New Orleans, and a taste of Brazil too. And, the video itself is a pure joy to watch, from little moments like the drum trade-offs, to bigger ones like the solos, to just the overall vibe of almost-20 (!) top-tier musicians in a room having fun.

'Hope you guys enjoy the track as much as I do, and I'll be seeing y'all again with some new content soon. Cheers. :wink:

I absolutely love Snarky Puppy - didn't know there was a new album coming. Just pre-ordered now :)

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #30,810 of 87,650
Jewel is great for metal and heavier genres. Very clean, super separation, guitars are epic. I spent a good part of today on an Animals As Leaders kick. I'm a big fan of Gojira and Trivium too. Definitely all amazing on the Jewel.
I 2nd this motion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back