The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 11, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #286 of 88,294
I've often wondered if there was, as it were, a method to CFA's madness
It was really good to hear his ideas about making different kinds of IEMs - IEMs that might be polarizing but that would appeal to a wide and diverse range of tastes. It was interesting to hear that he doesn't want CA to have a house sound. That's refreshing to hear, and I like the idea of being able to explore different sounds and tunings all from the same manufacturer - especially as I have a lot of faith in CA's products. I'm looking forward to the next CanJam here in NYC and listening to the Ara, in particular (having heard most of the others).

I got to chat with Ken Ball briefly at CanJam a couple of years back and he's a really nice guy - friendly, down to earth, and happy to share his ideas about what makes for excellent IEMs that people find appealing.

His comments about not wanting to have a house sound got me wondering about other companies. I've been struck by Empire Ears having a wide array of IEMs with different tunings and purposes. I wonder what other brands out there are like this...

May 11, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #287 of 88,294
It was really good to hear his ideas about making different kinds of IEMs - IEMs that might be polarizing but that would appeal to a wide and diverse range of tastes. It was interesting to hear that he doesn't want CA to have a house sound. That's refreshing to hear, and I like the idea of being able to explore different sounds and tunings all from the same manufacturer - especially as I have a lot of faith in CA's products. I'm looking forward to the next CanJam here in NYC and listening to the Ara, in particular (having heard most of the others).

I got to chat with Ken Ball briefly at CanJam a couple of years back and he's a really nice guy - friendly, down to earth, and happy to share his ideas about what makes for excellent IEMs that people find appealing.

His comments about not wanting to have a house sound got me wondering about other companies. I've been struck by Empire Ears having a wide array of IEMs with different tunings and purposes. I wonder what other brands out there are like this...

I agree that CFA doesn't have a house sound per se-- each of their IEMs occupies a different unique niche on the spectrum from musical (Vega) to reference (Ara). I've never heard Ara but it gets a lot of praise-- I believe even winning the esteemed Golden Schlong over at SBAF. A lot of those guys are into a more neutral/reference/Etymotic type sound, hence the Dorado isn't going over as well. That said while CFA doesn't have a house sound I would argue that they do have a house ethos that gives even their most disparate IEMs a common flavor. As different as Solaris, Andro and even Dorado are it's obvious to me they were tuned by same company.

KB seems like a really chill yet focused and deceptively deep individual. I hope that the world eventually regains its sanity and I'm able to meet him at a meet or something some day.

EE is definitely another company that falls into the same category as CFA-- I would argue Vision Ears and Sony as well. It's perhaps no surprise that these 4 are my favorite makers of IEMs.

Here is a great interview with Johannes from Vision Ears where, among other things, he talks about the company and its philosophy and approach, framed around the development of the Elysium-- it's a really good listen and similarly interesting and informative. VE and CFA are imho kindred spirits in their approach to this hobby.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #288 of 88,294
As different as Solaris, Andro and even Dorado are it's obvious to me they were tuned by same company.
Yes, I've found that as well. Part of it I can't put my finger on, another part of it has to do the soundstage, for me, and the open, spacious sound with excellent separation and air around instruments. As different as the Andro and Dorado are, for instance, I could tell they shared the same DNA when it came to staging.

Ok, back to the video - thanks for sharing it!

May 11, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #289 of 88,294
Yes, I've found that as well. Part of it I can't put my finger on, another part of it has to do the soundstage, for me, and the open, spacious sound with excellent separation and air around instruments. As different as the Andro and Dorado are, for instance, I could tell they shared the same DNA when it came to staging.

My favorite thing about Andromeda, in addition to its characteristic air and sparkle, is how musical it is for an IEM on the more reference end of the spectrum. This "meeting of the two worlds" quality is a large part of its charm and I have not heard an IEM that combines the two characteristics so effectively in such a balanced way. This engagement factor is a big part of the CFA secret sauce for me and while the Andromeda is not my personal favorite Campfire IEM I would still argue that it is the most universally appealing and deserves its reputation as their definitive IEM to this date.

And yes it's a great video-- it's over an hour long and I found the whole thing pretty interesting.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #290 of 88,294

I agree that CFA doesn't have a house sound per se-- each of their IEMs occupies a different unique niche on the spectrum from musical (Vega) to reference (Ara). I<snip> As different as Solaris, Andro and even Dorado are it's obvious to me they were tuned by same company.

KB seems like a really chill yet focused and deceptively deep individual.
Wow, I figured out how to do multi-quote replies (at least I think I have).....

The Campfires do not have a 'house sound' in the sense of a specific coloration/flavor/specific 'photoedit filter applied to all of their iems.... (This is neither good nor bad, just seems to be the fact of the matter.

What they do share, that undefiniable/hard to articulate 'something' is coherence -- they all sound like the real thing. Coherence is not a flavor or a coloration, it is the absence of such.... And it is not a negative, as far as I can tell nobody has ever complained that a piece of audio gear is too coherent. It is more about time-domain than frequency response, per-se. It's not just about the quality of the specific menu items, it is whether the meal is served in the proper sequence and with the correct arrival times of the elements of the meal properly coordinated.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #291 of 88,294
Wow, I figured out how to do multi-quote replies (at least I think I have).....

The Campfires do not have a 'house sound' in the sense of a specific coloration/flavor/specific 'photoedit filter applied to all of their iems.... (This is neither good nor bad, just seems to be the fact of the matter.

What they do share, that undefiniable/hard to articulate 'something' is coherence -- they all sound like the real thing. Coherence is not a flavor or a coloration, it is the absence of such.... And it is not a negative, as far as I can tell nobody has ever complained that a piece of audio gear is too coherent. It is more about time-domain than frequency response, per-se. It's not just about the quality of the specific menu items, it is whether the meal is served in the proper sequence and with the correct arrival times of the elements of the meal properly coordinated.
Mmm .... food

1620834745660.png

May 13, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #293 of 88,294

This sounds lovely on the Andromeda 2020. For anyone who grew up in the 80s/90s you'll recognize this song from about two dozen other songs that sampled it.

May 13, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #294 of 88,294

This sounds lovely on the Andromeda 2020. For anyone who grew up in the 80s/90s you'll recognize this song from about two dozen other songs that sampled it.

Received the M8.
All I can say Is I needed 10 seconds to know this sounds better. Absolutely amazing . Thanks for the recommendation. So effortless and musical . :beerchug:

May 13, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #295 of 88,294
Received the M8.
All I can say Is I needed 10 seconds to know this sounds better. Absolutely amazing . Thanks for the recommendation. So effortless and musical . :beerchug:

Thanks man I'm glad you're enjoying it! I fell in love with it instantly as well. While I've loved the M8 with everything I've plugged into it (which by now includes Ely, Dorado, Nio, Z1R, Volt, MEST, Andromeda, Solaris, VE8) M8 + Elysium is one of the truly great pairings out there right now imho

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #296 of 88,294
Thanks man I'm glad you're enjoying it! I fell in love with it instantly as well. While I've loved the M8 with everything I've plugged into it (which my now includes Ely, Dorado, Nio, Z1R, Andromeda, Solaris, VE8) M8 + Elysium is one of the truly great pairings out there right now imho
I am taking my time with it . Enjoying Semper for now. As I right "to live is to die" is playing . Ohh my gad the bass... It's amazing
Cant wait to hear others . I hope it doesn't too much with burn in.

May 13, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #297 of 88,294
I am taking my time with it . Enjoying Semper for now. As I right "to live is to die" is playing . Ohh my gad the bass... It's amazing
Cant wait to hear others . I hope it doesn't too much with burn in.

I'm not prepared to commit to a position one way or another with burn in beyond your brain adjusting...but I can say confidently that as the hours on it wear on the enjoyment factor only increases.

May 13, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #298 of 88,294
I'm not prepared to commit to a position one way or another with burn in beyond your brain adjusting...but I can say confidently that as the hours on it wear on the enjoyment factor only increases.
I'm in the same boat about DAP burn in , it's just I don't want to think this sound is gonna change in a any way.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #300 of 88,294
I'm in the same boat about DAP burn in , it's just I don't want to think this sound is gonna change in a any way.

Let us know if it does :).

In other news I get my Elysium back today from its time out east with @1TrickPony and I'll be getting my Dorado 2020 back tomorrow and picking up the Bravado Mk ii that @SBranson is graciously allowing me to demo. It's going to be an exciting weekend :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back