The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,866 of 88,531
Has anyone done a DD shootout of late? There seems to be a bunch of contenders these days. It would be nice to see say the UM 3DT, Illumination, Zen (Pro), Isabellae and IE900s compared, with the JVC FDX1s used as a Sennheiser HD650 OG kind of reference point. Maybe even throw in the new Drop JVC woodies -- for all their flaws the JVC wood IEMs do have some magic in their timbre.

Really looking forward to your thoughts on the Isabellae!

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #2,867 of 88,531
Has anyone done a DD shootout of late? There seems to be a bunch of contenders these days. It would be nice to see say the UM 3DT, Illumination, Zen (Pro), Isabellae and IE900s compared, with the JVC FDX1s used as a Sennheiser HD650 OG kind of reference point. Maybe even throw in the new Drop JVC woodies -- for all their flaws the JVC wood IEMs do have some magic in their timbre.
The Isabelle is light years ahead of the 3DT, the later isn't bad, it's m9re that the Isabelle is exceptional.

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,868 of 88,531
New Moondrop !! the KATO for $189.99. See forum home.1 DD.

Is there a decent IEM forum other than this?

Sep 9, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #2,869 of 88,531
New Moondrop !! the KATO for $189.99. See forum home.1 DD.

Is there a decent IEM forum other than this?
I'm more than a little intrigued with this one too. Just ordered the 7Hz Timeless and may roll the dice on these too. When ChiFi smash it, they really smash it, so let's see. After all the kilobuck purchases and buying selling, trading, I'm ready play down here in this range for a while in search of a mega value all rounder.

Sep 9, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #2,870 of 88,531
Sep 9, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #2,871 of 88,531
This is the most active thread for totl IEMs. Is that what you were asking?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...al-high-end-portable-audio-discussion.826876/
No, just wondering if there was an IEM only forum. I am very satisfied with Head-Fi and this thread in particular. I am also a member of SBAF as is Jeff,
I'm more than a little intrigued with this one too. Just ordered the 7Hz Timeless and may roll the dice on these too. When ChiFi smash it, they really smash it, so let's see. After all the kilobuck purchases and buying selling, trading, I'm ready play down here in this range for a while in search of a mega value all rounder.
I ordered the KATO. Have always liked Moondrop IEMs. If you preorder in the next few days, you get the upgrade cable of your connection choice .

Sep 11, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #2,872 of 88,531
Sep 11, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #2,873 of 88,531
This thread seems to be slowing down since Jeff returned to work. Oh, well, there is always weekends and the VE tour to liven things up.

LOL yeah sorry and I'm a university student again as of today so my time to generate new content in this hobby will be limited for a while. The VE tour will indeed liven things up (if the info I got in Marcel's email is still current they should be sending me the kit within a week) and when I finally get my Isa back I'm sure I'll be gushing about it for a while.

Hoping @tgx78 will post some Reborn impressions and @Tchoupitoulas some Isa impressions soon :)

Sep 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #2,874 of 88,531
That's right, back to Uni. I thought it might be part time. If you are not married, your social life should get a boost!!

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #2,875 of 88,531
That's right, back to Uni. I thought it might be part time. If you are not married, your social life should get a boost!!

LOL not really as most of the program will be via distance.

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #2,876 of 88,531
Hoping @tgx78 will post some Reborn impressions and @Tchoupitoulas some Isa impressions soon :)
I'm an hour or so into listening to the Isa and am loving them!

I'm still experimenting with setups. The Azla Sedna Earfit Light tips messed with the FR too much and I'm getting much better results with the Final E tips. I've tried two setups so far, my Sony ZX2 DAP and a Mac with Audirvana via USB to a Bifrost 2 DAC and then the THX 789 amp. Both work very well. The Sony, surprisingly, has no trouble driving the Isa.

The Isa are a beautiful pair of IEMs. I was surprised by the size of the shells - bigger than I'd expected, but perfectly comfy for me. I very much like the cable, too.

First impressions are that they sound very well balanced in terms of frequency response; there's a nice bit of warmth but it's not overdone; the bass is solid, not lacking in emphasis (I need to listen more but I think there's a slight mid-bass emphasis over the sub-bass); the soundstage is excellent, not especially open (vs my Andro 2020, so no surprise there), but not confined in any way, either; and macrodynamics are excellent. Drums are exciting! Electric guitars have lots of crunch and growl and excellent texture. I'll need more time but my initial sense is that the dynamic driver makes for very good timbre. Classical music also sounds very good.

And I completely get where @Rockwell75 is coming from in describing the Isa as highly musical and engaging. I'm finding myself happy just to listen to the music and to enjoy myself. I'm having a hard time listening critically, which is why I'm happily posting here as I listen!

Sep 11, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,877 of 88,531
RIght on man really glad you're enjoying them! :)

I need to listen more but I think there's a slight mid-bass emphasis over the sub-bass

There definitely is-- it's subtle, but there. It's one of the things that endeared me to them right away as I'm a mid-bass head.

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #2,878 of 88,531
Trying ePro tips on Isa tonight, wonderful pairing... I think the wide bore is ideal; brings out more treble, soundstage, and nice balance of bass. The best I've heard them, sounding incredible!

20210912_000415.jpg

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:20 PM Post #2,879 of 88,531
00000.... I like those tips. Did you buy them on line?

Sep 11, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,880 of 88,531

Users who are viewing this thread

Back