The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #28,621 of 91,364
My guess for average age of Watercooler group is 42, several older than us, me at 58, you at 48, others in their 30s. Maybe even some in their 20s.
Sounds like a cooler question 😉 just hit the 31 myself
I'm really curious to see how many watercooler members are in their 20s.... But more than that, the big question that i always wonder to myself is how many watercooler members are millionaires and what they do or did for a living that lets them easily buy Flagship IEMs like buying toys at a dollar shop... It's crazy really.. I mean I'm in my late 20s and getting the traillii almost took out everything I had.. but for you guys, its just another collection... wow... just wow... maybe i should ask for a career advice or what i should invest on here more than just ask for what IEM I should buy next :sweat_smile:
I wonder the same too. I have a lot of disposable income owing that I don't have some of the other commitments peopley age might have and being stingy in most expenses. Buying the Odin was a long consideration for me as well, never mind the more recent prices.
I am definitely not a millionaire, not even wealthy in the largest stretch of imagination. I've made huge sacrifices to get my gear, because it's really that important to me. I know some guys on here collect, and do seem to be able to afford whatever they want, but that's not me. Don't let my gear fool you, each piece was a huge purchase, that took months to recover from :)
College students eat ramen because they're poor, audiophiles eat ramen to buy their favourite summit fi gear

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #28,623 of 91,364
Definitely not a millionare! Something like the Traillii is a big decision for me hence why it is on my listening list for CanJam. My really big purchases are usually with end of year bonus money and since you asked I am a Systems Engineer for a movie studio that makes a lot of superhero content :p

Technically you’re one of the few people here that actually uses audio gear for your job!

Anyway I’m 34 here and I just changed careers to a data analyst here. It takes a lot of planning ( and relying on Black Friday sales) on my end to buy something big like a Traillii. I definitely don’t have $$$ to be having multiple TOTL IEM and DAP setups, and I’d rather use DAP money to get a better laptop that would keep me employed!

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #28,624 of 91,364
Technically you’re one of the few people here that actually uses audio gear for your job!

Anyway I’m 34 here and I just changed careers to a data analyst here. It takes a lot of planning ( and relying on Black Friday sales) on my end to buy something big like a Traillii. I definitely don’t have $$$ to be having multiple TOTL IEM and DAP setups, and I’d rather use DAP money to get a better laptop that would keep me employed!
I’m 58, work as a video producer/editor for an insurance company and certainly not a millionaire. Got 2 kids through college so I now have some discretionary income for this hobby. I do a lot of research and demo when I can hoping to make the right decision on gear. To date, Indigo has been my favorite purchase. It’s the closest to matching what I imagined would be my perfect sound signature. Still have that desire to invest in a tube amp or perhaps TOTL DAP in the next few months. Truly enjoy being able to be part of the Cooler community. :)

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #28,625 of 91,364
I'm really curious to see how many watercooler members are in their 20s.... But more than that, the big question that i always wonder to myself is how many watercooler members are millionaires and what they do or did for a living that lets them easily buy Flagship IEMs like buying toys at a dollar shop... It's crazy really.. I mean I'm in my late 20s and getting the traillii almost took out everything I had.. but for you guys, its just another collection... wow... just wow... maybe i should ask for a career advice or what i should invest on here more than just ask for what IEM I should buy next :sweat_smile:
35 and definitely not rich lol. I cashed out of a different hobby (video game collecting) a few years ago and made a bit of profit that has paid for most of my audio purchases. Career-wise, recently made a change but have been working in property project management for the past few years.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:16 AM Post #28,626 of 91,364
Nice to see some new Thunder owners around here!
I see you have the Thunder and the EST50.
Could you make a brief comparison between the two? Those two interest me a lot, although the EST50 has a price more in line with my wallet.

Jul 8, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #28,627 of 91,364
47, decent salary but not so decent that I can't relate to this at all:

n8447ke0gsz61-2.jpg

Jul 8, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #28,629 of 91,364

This is an interesting question for the thread! I'm 21 which puts me on the younger end of the age spectrum on Head-Fi. My story, and how I've built my collection, also probably diverges from most on here. I've been lucky to "work" as a reviewer, so I've been able to demo a lot of stuff without committing my own money. I'm also very fortunate to still live at home, so I have a decent amount of freedom with where I spend my money. I can't pretend to have great spending habits, but my recourse is usually taking advantage of the used market, making connections with manufacturers for discounts (again, there's the inherent advantage of being a reviewer haha), and being very critical about the stuff I think is actually purchase worthy. Purchasing something on credit, especially for a hobby, is also something that I could never imagine doing.

While being a reviewer might sound enamoring, I've just been thrown into the real-world after graduating, and it's put a lot on my plate to consider. I received an offer to do reviewing full-time, but I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be the right fit for me, at least in that capacity. Audio is a luxury; it's much more susceptible to economic downturn, so the job stability wouldn't have been there. The career trajectory was also difficult to visualize, and I wanted to apply the skills that I'd learned about earning my degree. While I'd definitely love to continue reviewing as a hobby and part-time gig, I'm now pursuing roles in data analytics like @stacey above haha. It's been a real wake-up call realizing just how difficult it is getting that first role out of college :tired_face:

Jul 8, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #28,631 of 91,364
This is an interesting question for the thread! I'm 21 which puts me on the younger end of the age spectrum on Head-Fi. My story, and how I've built my collection, also probably diverges from most on here. I've been lucky to "work" as a reviewer, so I've been able to demo a lot of stuff without committing my own money. I'm also very fortunate to still live at home, so I have a decent amount of freedom with where I spend my money. I can't pretend to have great spending habits, but my recourse is usually taking advantage of the used market, making connections with manufacturers for discounts (again, there's the inherent advantage of being a reviewer haha), and being very critical about the stuff I think is actually purchase worthy. Purchasing something on credit, especially for a hobby, is also something that I could never imagine doing.

While being a reviewer might sound enamoring, I've just been thrown into the real-world after graduating, and it's put a lot on my plate to consider. I received an offer to do reviewing full-time, but I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be the right fit for me, at least in that capacity. Audio is a luxury; it's much more susceptible to economic downturn, so the job stability wouldn't have been there. The career trajectory was also difficult to visualize, and I wanted to apply the skills that I'd learned about earning my degree. While I'd definitely love to continue reviewing as a hobby and part-time gig, I'm now pursuing roles in data analytics like @stacey above haha. It's been a real wake-up call realizing just how difficult it is getting that first role out of college :tired_face:
Ditto; almost all of it. 😄

Jul 8, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #28,632 of 91,364
Jul 8, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #28,633 of 91,364
The luxe case is fantastic, highly recommended
This looks great! Maybe a bit of FOMO since limited but I pulled the trigger. Glad to hear it’s indeed recommended.

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #28,634 of 91,364
Sounds like a cooler question 😉 just hit the 31 myself

I wonder the same too. I have a lot of disposable income owing that I don't have some of the other commitments peopley age might have and being stingy in most expenses. Buying the Odin was a long consideration for me as well, never mind the more recent prices.

College students eat ramen because they're poor, audiophiles eat ramen to buy their favourite summit fi gear
100% worth eating ramen for that juuuicy bass & detail retrieval.

I would have placed you in your mid 20s. You write and articulate your thoughts well. 👍

Congrats on your set. Hedge against inflation. Buy Traillii, re-sell in 5 years for 1.3X more. Kidding.

I am 32, I would like to think that I have "disposable" income available, but what does that mean? When there is an IEM I am interested in, theres always a dialogue in my head:

"Do I really need that IEM?"
"What kind of toys would my daughter need in the future".

Most importantly, "How would my wife react when she sees the bill" 😂

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #28,635 of 91,364
I'll be turning 56 in a couple of months. Am a lawyer and am in practice with two others in Vietnam. While being a lawyer sounds like I have tons of disposable income, that is not the case here. I am a Singaporean and initially come to manage an already existing office here. I decided to localise knowing that I would be taking a substantial pay cut to be able to enjoy the lifestyle here.

I stumbled onto head-fi while shopping for a replacement iem as the cable of my shure se525 (the one with the fixed cable) broke. I bought the Thieaudio Legacy 5 in the end. I would have been; happy with that but a combination of curiosity with chifi and covid led me down the rabbit hole and here I am. I have amassed quite a number now and should probable quit while I am ahead. I am very satisfied with the Dorado, Isa and Zen Pro. However I really want to acquire one of two TOTL.

What the Watercooler has done for me is to re-kindle my love for music and how I enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back