The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 20, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #27,466 of 90,085
Even if I was all set with molds and know what to expect from custom's, blind buying from a company who's releases for me have been all over the map is just not happening... unless like you said, they had a very forgiving return policy.
Does anyone know if they have a Supermoon universal at their headquarters? They should honestly. I'll pop in for a listen.

I am holding out for something new and possibly planar in their remaining upcoming releases. Just hope those are well received as well. The fear being that the unicorn is only a custom and the new Uni's are dog crap.
If you are close to them they probably have demo units to listen to. Best to reach out.

I was emailing with them about a demo and they are definitely working to make more demo units available, but they indicated that they are having supply chain issues.

They also did indicate to me that they do hope to incorporate planar into a future universal release, but had no timeframe or anything of the sort.

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #27,467 of 90,085
Wife was craving Japanese cheese cake and you could guess what this reminded me of. 😏
20220620_195222.jpg

Jun 20, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #27,468 of 90,085
If you are close to them they probably have demo units to listen to. Best to reach out.

I was emailing with them about a demo and they are definitely working to make more demo units available, but they indicated that they are having supply chain issues.

They also did indicate to me that they do hope to incorporate planar into a future universal release, but had no timeframe or anything of the sort.
Good news, thanks! Sounds like maybe the Uni's will just be the demo units they'll build. Which is annoying, but fine. I'll contact them before I go down and see what they may have to try out.

Unfortunately every sector seems to be having ongoing supply chain issues.
It's a good time for pro-level patience training.

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #27,469 of 90,085
What would be your post apocalypse portable setup that you would keep, despite an uncertain future where every essential item you could stockpile might be life-extending?

Mine would be the 7Hz Timeless + Alo Pure Copper Litz + Cayin RU6 at 520 dollars. I'm continually impressed by how right, correct or natural the Timeless + RU6 sound together, and adding the pure copper cable seems to add a little more body and dynamics. (The cable is all black and very light/ergonomic - a great match with the Timeless. It also comes with a nice nylon pouch which can house the RU6 and Timeless, making for an easily pocketable setup.). Nothing stands out as wrong to me with this setup, nothing makes me analyze my gear. There's neither listening fatigue nor boredom. Sure the technicalities aren't TOTL, but when I'm listening to the music and working or daydreaming (or surviving the apocalypse) rather than focusing on the gear, it's super enjoyable.

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #27,470 of 90,085
Sure the technicalities aren't TOTL, but when I'm listening to the music and working or daydreaming (or surviving the apocalypse) rather than focusing on the gear, it's super enjoyable.
I think this is a pretty important aspect of enjoying music not the gear per se. Less focus on the hardware and more on the feeling it activates in that very moment when you want to feel connected to your music and drown out the rest of the world. They are simply vessels and some vessels just put you in the right state irrespective of $ value.

Jun 20, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #27,471 of 90,085
I'm having impressions taken soon but find it very hard to commit to any custom right now even for models I've heard. Anything over roughly $2k feels too expensive considering the lock in. The U6t I'm currently running is great both in sound and aesthetic terms, and I actually could see myself going for an A12t if only because I more or less know what I'm getting into. Beyond that, there isn't much I'd bite the bullet on, but I've found I prefer the 64 Audio family tree in terms of sound. The FiR NE4 would be a maybe (as the XE6 is simply too expensive sans discounts), and I'm unaware of any X2 reviews out there yet despite the much cheaper price.
If you're enjoying the U6t, then the A12t is almost a no-brainer. It does so much so right all of the time, I can't imagine a future state where I wouldn't want it around, so going custom was an easy choice to make in the end. Already I find it's like a warm blanket on a cold winter day, a day much like today come to think of it.

Jun 20, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #27,472 of 90,085
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #27,473 of 90,085
Monday evening listening.

Not sure how many people have heard of G.I. Gurdjieff.. Through a composer/disciple deHartmann he dictated these pieces.
They are unusual in timings and modal structure. Some of my favourite pieces to play.. though not nearly as well as Keith Jarrett..
”Hymn from a Great Temple” is one of my favourites

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #27,474 of 90,085
It’s a sign buddy 😂
I'm trying out Solaris 2020 tonight and man it's definitely a notch up from Dorados. The Dorados still hold a pretty strong place for me but Solaris brings this next level of detail and nuance with that mid range and the upper regions. I did like the bass texture and imaging on the supermoon more. Especially kick drums on the SM was so surreal in texture, depth and resonance. But Solaris 2020 is balls to the walls colourful and energetic beyond what I remembered.

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #27,475 of 90,085
What would be your post apocalypse portable setup that you would keep, despite an uncertain future where every essential item you could stockpile might be life-extending?

Mine would be the 7Hz Timeless + Alo Pure Copper Litz + Cayin RU6 at 520 dollars. I'm continually impressed by how right, correct or natural the Timeless + RU6 sound together, and adding the pure copper cable seems to add a little more body and dynamics. (The cable is all black and very light/ergonomic - a great match with the Timeless. It also comes with a nice nylon pouch which can house the RU6 and Timeless, making for an easily pocketable setup.). Nothing stands out as wrong to me with this setup, nothing makes me analyze my gear. There's neither listening fatigue nor boredom. Sure the technicalities aren't TOTL, but when I'm listening to the music and working or daydreaming (or surviving the apocalypse) rather than focusing on the gear, it's super enjoyable.

Supermoon + my AK SR25ii + 1TB mini SD

Will be nice not to have to rely on streaming during the apocalypse.

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #27,476 of 90,085
Hey Coolers,

I’m doing a big clearout of my collection so if anyone’s in the market for the below pieces, feel free to PM me :)

IEMs:
Vision Ears Phonix
Vision Ears EXT
Empire Ears Legend EVO
Sony IER-M9
Sennheiser IE600
Sony XBA-Z5

DAPs & Dongles:
Shanling M9
FiiO M17
Cayin N6ii Ti
Luxury & Precision W2 (OG)

Jun 21, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #27,477 of 90,085

Wilson-ball-from-Cast-Away.jpg

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #27,478 of 90,085
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #27,479 of 90,085
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #27,480 of 90,085
Good news, thanks! Sounds like maybe the Uni's will just be the demo units they'll build. Which is annoying, but fine. I'll contact them before I go down and see what they may have to try out.
Great, CFA finally make an interesting IEM and then proceed to make it as difficult as possible to hear. Figures. 😅
A solar powered charger for my Walkman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back