The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jun 18, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #27,316 of 91,346
Having just had a swim in the sea, we stopped by a local café for a beer after - turned out to be perfect timing for a parade that was kicking off - so exhilarating to experience this drumming and dancing... my 17 year old daughter said it was a highlight of the holiday. Absolutely fantastic, still buzzing from it!

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #27,317 of 91,346
Having just had a swim in the sea, we stopped by a local café for a beer after - turned out to be perfect timing for a parade that was kicking off - so exhilarating to experience this drumming and dancing... my 17 year old daughter said it was a highlight of the holiday. Absolutely fantastic, still buzzing from it!

Amazing! I almost thought was a Brazilian Carnival parade! :p

Jun 18, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #27,318 of 91,346
Funny how the brain clearly needs to adjust to various driver configurations - having listened to single DDs or planar for the last week, I actually struggled to listen to Thunder just now and had to switch to IE900. It was almost too intense, I needed the simplicity of a single driver. I'm sure I'll recover, otherwise classifieds will be hit with a few hybrids... then I can continue the single DD hunt 🤔
I've been sitting here trying to decide how and whether to reply to this. Spoiler alert! Keep reading to find out what I decided :ksc75smile:

I am starting to think, more and more, that there are only two kinds of iems (or other categories of gear): <mild sarcasm alert>

1. Aha! Music

2. This sucks!

"1." is hard to describe/review, since it just is right-- a truly 'aha' experience. "2." on the other hand, requires some footnoting to indicate what specific good and bad attributes are present, but at the end of the day, it's a '2' because it loses the forest for the trees. IOW, when your reaction is that something has 'great X' or 'Poor Y', what you are really experiencing is something that is out of balance. Given the wide range of musical taste, sonic priorities, and prior experience listening to music and great gear, there is room for a wide variety of opinions and rankings.

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #27,319 of 91,346

Are you in Canarias? Not a bad place at all :wink:

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #27,320 of 91,346
Jun 18, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #27,322 of 91,346
I haven't been in a gym for about 10 years

lol this is the first response to this question that I could relate to.

The Dorado 2020 is my out and about IEM. It's indestructible, small, easy to drive, and has a nice bass emphasis to drown out ambient noise.

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #27,323 of 91,346
Interesting to read the discussion on coherency, timbre etc. I've started the book 'This is your Brain on Music' by Daniel Levitin while on holidays and fascinating to read how different parts of the brain deal with various components of music such as say rhythm, pitch, tone etc. He refers to 'gestalt' and likens it to viewing a mosaic pattern as individual parts or viewed as a complete picture, becoming a cohesive whole... in the same way our brain processes each component of the music. There are of course studies on how the brain responds to various frequencies, but I doubt any have considered the intricacies of a complex IEM shoved in our ears, and how the brain then responds to driver configurations etc! Anyway, interesting to consider the discussion from the perspective of how our brain computes the cohesiveness of sound as it hits the various components the brain.
A piece of music to me sounds like a 4D painting if there ever is one; it's just one added dimension called time the difference, as you view music across time one slice at a time. Just as there may be multiple strokes in one space on a canvas, there are also multiple instruments playing together at once in a single time slot. Each can have their own colors and characteristics, just as a painting can be painted with oil, water, ink, airbrush; in making sound string, percussions, voice can be utilised as the instrument. The tonal part of the sound to me is like the tint color or the 'tone' of how the music is presented. A movie could be filmed with 4:3 screen ration, B/W, or miniaturized like this cool "Night of the Mini Dead" :)

All these, create varying interpretation/perception of each story, which is analogous to songs in music. The art of storytelling is that, one story could be retold in many ways, and really who is to judge whether one way is better than another. That to me is the tonal half of music portrayal. The other half is like @gLer mentioned, can be summarized as technicalities. It's the details and accuracy that you can add to the depiction. The more pixel you add to a photo, the more realistic, resolving, detailed it may look. But technicalities alone isn't all IMO. It's also the proportion or balance to the tonal part, and how the two complement one another that I think makes an IEM great. Something like a warm, mellow tone with a lean towards intimacy, may clash with high glaring resolution, causing discord/incongruence in its presentation. You could also achieve something like faux-technicalities or chiaroscuro by applying extreme contrast of light and dark, playing with the background, outline and focus to give that sense of vividness akin to resolution and accuracy. There are some others like positioning, separation, spaciousness, etc that contributes to technicalities too. But after all, the two islands of tonal and technical are connected, and it's the two hands together that makes it whole

Well hold on, now you have my attention. Anything that's held up against the IE 900/Z1R for bass must be a serious machine. Colour me interested.
I thnk the TZ700 is a serious contender to Z1R. In terms of bass. It already surpassed the IE900 in my book. The bass just sounds right, I wouldn't add or substract anything. Treble-wise, it's good for a single DD, but still can't beat Z1R's dedicated tweeter

Wow, I'm counting the days till I have mine!
Oh, I hope it'll arrive soon! :)

Thank you for giving me the nudge to try the Technics earlier

Now my starter pokemon collected look like this:

single BA → Prelude
single DD → TZ700
hybrid → Volume

multi-BA → Witch Girl S (incoming)
planar → Szalayi (maybe, demo necessary)
headphone → RS1x (maybe, demo necessary)

taken-1655561115646.jpg

5D3A2668.jpg

Happy six month anniversary to my bae! 💝

Not a day's gone by that you haven't surprised and delighted me, and not for a minute have I been tempted, even fleetingly, by the sound of another.

What you do to me is beyond compare. You reach into my soul (and gently massage my skull), and make me want to spend every waking minute in your warm embrace.

Yours forever, in delightful bondage.

gLer
Happy anniversary! I'm astounded by how beautifully taken your Z1R picture looks

It's nice to see a bit of renewed interest in the TZ700. When I was looking into it last month it seemed largely forgotten. I guess that only shows how quickly the IEM space evolves. That said, I'm very very happy that Technics is still producing this wonderful IEM. I've had it for a week now and have been nothing but impressed.

IEM Comparison.PNG

So after I sold my Nios I almost immediately regretted it even though I wasn't happy with the more muddy and congested nature of the higher frequencies. It was still a great sounding IEM though and one I had trouble finding an alternative. I saw the above comparison in a Head-Fi thread and hoped that the TZ700 might bit a bit clearer than the Nio while sharing the some characteristics.

So far it is the clarity of the sound, across the full frequency range, that has impressed me the most with this tiny IEM. If it helps for some who are curious about the TZ700, I would describe it as a clearer Nio. The added benefit of that is a big improvement in the sound stage which I felt was rather claustrophobic on the Nio.

Looking forward to hearing what others think of this earphone.
Despite its small build, the soundstage is quite big which is another impressive feature. It's definitely brighter than the Nio as I remembered. But paired with a flat or warmer player like the SR25 Mk2, it sounds very enjoyable :smile_phones:

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #27,324 of 91,346
A piece of music to me sounds like a 4D painting if there ever is one; it's just one added dimension called time the difference, as you view music across time one slice at a time. Just as there may be multiple strokes in one space on a canvas, there are also multiple instruments playing together at once in a single time slot. Each can have their own colors and characteristics, just as a painting can be painted with oil, water, ink, airbrush; in making sound string, percussions, voice can be utilised as the instrument. The tonal part of the sound to me is like the tint color or the 'tone' of how the music is presented. A movie could be filmed with 4:3 screen ration, B/W, or miniaturized like this cool "Night of the Mini Dead" :)

All these, create varying interpretation/perception of each story, which is analogous to songs in music. The art of storytelling is that, one story could be retold in many ways, and really who is to judge whether one way is better than another. That to me is the tonal half of music portrayal. The other half is like @gLer mentioned, can be summarized as technicalities. It's the details and accuracy that you can add to the depiction. The more pixel you add to a photo, the more realistic, resolving, detailed it may look. But technicalities alone isn't all IMO. It's also the proportion or balance to the tonal part, and how the two complement one another that I think makes an IEM great. Something like a warm, mellow tone with a lean towards intimacy, may clash with high glaring resolution, causing discord/incongruence in its presentation. You could also achieve something like faux-technicalities or chiaroscuro by applying extreme contrast of light and dark, playing with the background, outline and focus to give that sense of vividness akin to resolution and accuracy. There are some others like positioning, separation, spaciousness, etc that contributes to technicalities too. But after all, the two islands of tonal and technical are connected, and it's the two hands together that makes it whole

I thnk the TZ700 is a serious contender to Z1R. In terms of bass. It already surpassed the IE900 in my book. The bass just sounds right, I wouldn't add or substract anything. Treble-wise, it's good for a single DD, but still can't beat Z1R's dedicated tweeter

Oh, I hope it'll arrive soon! :)

Thank you for giving me the nudge to try the Technics earlier

Now my starter pokemon collected look like this:

single BA → Prelude
single DD → TZ700
hybrid → Volume

multi-BA → Witch Girl S (incoming)
planar → Szalayi (maybe, demo necessary)
headphone → RS1x (maybe, demo necessary)

taken-1655561115646.jpg

Happy anniversary! I'm astounded by how beautifully taken your Z1R picture looks

Despite its small build, the soundstage is quite big which is another impressive feature. It's definitely brighter than the Nio as I remembered. But paired with a flat or warmer player like the SR25 Mk2, it sounds very enjoyable :smile_phones:

Wow, beautifully put - I love to hear how people describe how they perceive sound, especially with the addition of analogies.

I'll have the TZ700 towards the end of the month once home from holidays.

Next on my radar are the beautiful wooden buds from Copplinn - not a whole lot of info out there but a couple of great reviews and I've a good gut feeling so I'll take the plunge on one in July.

https://www.copplinn.com/

Jun 18, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #27,325 of 91,346
I use this combo for the gym.
A pair of custom A12t for maximum comfort and secure. The cable is very thin and lightweight with zero microphonic. And of course Qudelix 5k is indispensable, the best bluetooth dac/amp in my opinion.

Curious if you guys use your audio gears during exercise or opt for more convenient options like airpods or beats.

I use my A12t and NE4 with iPhone dongle at the gym. I love it. Haven’t touched my AirPods Pro in almost a year.

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #27,328 of 91,346
Jun 18, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #27,329 of 91,346
No, I wish I was.
I live in Seville, very hot and the beach is 1 hour away.

We've been coming here for holidays on and off for almost 20 years - my goal is to retire here, and hopefully retire early!

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #27,330 of 91,346

Canary Islands loves Carnival, beautiful place for holiadys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back