The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 30, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #25,951 of 88,290
Taking a short afternoon break with this 80's all star song! Gosh I miss these voices.... sounds awesome with my rather clunky streaming setup DX240 -> SPDIF -> LP6 Ti 7AE -> Traillii :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

img4804.jpg

May 30, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #25,952 of 88,290
My Ve Grand Duke, finally arrived.
IMG_20220530_231502.jpg

May 30, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #25,953 of 88,290
I have listened to the CCA-CRA+ more than any IEM since they arrived.

These are great. Not great off the iPhone dongle, as the iPhone dongle doesn’t take advantage of the higher extension.

With my WA8 and Sony 507 wow. I really love these IEMs.

Haha.

Single DD cohesion. Fun. Musical. A bit bright and some female vocals suffer but otherwise I am so happy with these.

May 30, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #25,955 of 88,290
Personal worth attached to product is hardly a unique quality for just me. Value is a deeply personal experience. We all want what we buy to be "worth it". Everyone has a different ceiling for price, but we all want the same: enjoyment.

I've built some insanely expensive home Hi-fi systems and recording studios for people, and what I always remember is where they spent their big money. Cables. Most benefit on the system, and most possibilities for future use with newer gear. They spend $50k on speaker cables without breaking a sweat, because that's the cable that has "it".

So yes, the cable that makes all my gear sound tremendous is worth it, and is my favorite piece. Followed closely by my C9, as it too will (and has already) outlasted a few IEMs and DAPs.
I am a cable believer…to a point. When I hear folks paid 50k for speaker cables I always wonder had they actually done a comparison to say 5k cables would they hear the difference? I have heard very expensive cables and when you volume match ( very often the very large and expensive cables increase the volume when connected ) the difference will go away. The audio stores also make an insane profit on expensive cables. Although for the folks in this bracket price is no object and they do not care.

Anyway I guess getting the Orpheus is the equivalent, so I am just as bad. However I do hear the changes it makes.

May 30, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #25,956 of 88,290
There's nothing wrong with being romantic bud. Keeps me young. :)

You can have whatever you want as a favorite. IEMs come and go, DAPs change all the time, for me this cable will outlast them all.
Absolutely. Anyone can select their favorite component in their gear and it will go unchallenged. The problem is you used the word "best" meaning a metric of good, better, best. We can prove that it isn't your "best" component by doing the test I just recommended. I am very confident that if you do the test and you are honest, you will say that N8ii + Ares 2 cable sounds better than R3 Pro + Orpheus. That will clearly indicate that N8ii is better at delivering the sound than the cable meaning the cable isn't the best component in your chain. So, there is a little bit of irrational exuberance injected into your description. That's all I am pointing out. You can and should be as exuberant as you want about your audio gear. You can buy $8000 ear tips and say its your favorite component, but to say they are the best part of your chain would be an overstatement.

If we applied more objective criteria, I think it would be the Jewel, then the N8ii, then your tips if Universal fit, then your C9, then your cables, then the batteries in your C9 that are the best components in your chain. I do believe that cables make a difference to sound, but not enough to overcome a bad IEM or bad DAP. You can swap out a $4000 cable with a $100 cable and it will still sound great.

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #25,957 of 88,290
Absolutely. Anyone can select their favorite component in their gear and it will go unchallenged. The problem is you used the word "best" meaning a metric of good, better, best. We can prove that it isn't your "best" component by doing the test I just recommended. I am very confident that if you do the test and you are honest, you will say that N8ii + Ares 2 cable sounds better than R3 Pro + Orpheus. That will clearly indicate that N8ii is better at delivering the sound than the cable meaning the cable isn't the best component in your chain. So, there is a little bit of irrational exuberance injected into your description. That's all I am pointing out. You can and should be as exuberant as you want about your audio gear. You can buy $8000 ear tips and say its your favorite component, but to say they are the best part of your chain would be an overstatement.

If we applied more objective criteria, I think it would be the Jewel, then the N8ii, then your tips if Universal fit, then your C9, then your cables, then the batteries in your C9 that are the best components in your chain. I do believe that cables make a difference to sound, but not enough to overcome a bad IEM or bad DAP. You can swap out a $4000 cable with a $100 cable and it will still sound great.
I seriously look forward to the day you just listen to orphy…

🤭

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #25,958 of 88,290
Interesting color.

Yeah the color wouldn't have been my first choice either...it is grey like the moon though, so I guess it's thematically appropriate. The IEM feels really sturdy and premium in the hand though.

Yeah, the sublime coherence is something I forgot to mention. The speed of the planar really adds to the seemless effect. The driver itself handles Mojo 2's lossless EQ like a champ. Sometimes I like to boost the bass shelf by 3 to 5 db to get a real thumpy bass and even more rumble. The bass scales really cleanly with no congestion and becomes seriously mesmerizing, and I can still hear the rest of the mix. I usually never use EQ.

A few hours in...I gotta say Supermoon is a knockout for me so far. For a fan of CFA and their house sound I dare say it's a no-brainer. I'm tempted to call it a best of all worlds Campfire IEM-- it's got a dash of the bombastic swagger of the Dorado, the spaciousness and grandeur of Solaris, and the technical-but-fun charm of the Andromeda...all mixed in with a healthy dose of single driver secret sauce and planar magic. The bass on these is really really nice. Every so often I do hear a touch of what could be described as a borderline metallic shimmer in the upper mid/lower treble region but it happens so seldomly I barely notice...in fact if I weren't going out of my way to look for it I may not have noticed. It could even have been latent within the tracks themselves. The most striking aspect for me as of this writing is the spaciousness & vividness of the staging and the detail in the layering-- every element within the sonic spectrum is fully rendered and has it's own space to flourish and breathe. These IEMs are making me want to go through my whole library just to hear what they bring to the table...that's always a good sign.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #25,959 of 88,290
May 31, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #25,960 of 88,290
May 31, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #25,961 of 88,290
May 31, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #25,962 of 88,290
Taking a short afternoon break with this 80's all star song! Gosh I miss these voices.... sounds awesome with my rather clunky streaming setup DX240 -> SPDIF -> LP6 Ti 7AE -> Traillii :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

The 7AE as a DAC-Amp is understandable, but is there any added benefit of using the (bulky) DX240 as a streamer/transport, as opposed to something smaller, lighter like an iPod?

I am a cable believer…to a point. When I hear folks paid 50k for speaker cables I always wonder had they actually done a comparison to say 5k cables would they hear the difference? I have heard very expensive cables and when you volume match ( very often the very large and expensive cables increase the volume when connected ) the difference will go away. The audio stores also make an insane profit on expensive cables. Although for the folks in this bracket price is no object and they do not care.

Anyway I guess getting the Orpheus is the equivalent, so I am just as bad. However I do hear the changes it makes.
Granted I have not really done much, if any, cable rolling with speakers, but IMO, cables make smaller differences on a hifi (speakers) set up than headphones/earphones. I have had difficulties hearing differences in the showroom when cables are swapped, someone had to be pointing out what I'd otherwise consider as minutiae that mattered little to the grand scheme of things for me. Conversely, I could immediately discern what different cables make to IEMs. I think, perhaps there are more that could be done with speakers design, implementation, that make cables a lesser and just one of more variables in the SQ equation.

The PWA Orpheus is a unique cable in that it imposes its signature more than any other cable I've owned/heard, and that, to me, is not always and necessarily a good thing. Case in point, as much as certain parameters -- resolution, bass boost, etc -- may be improved, I have come to prefer the Annihilator with Venom, and now, the DC Ti with Aqua. I believe synergy is most important to pairing IEMs to cables. In fact, I happen to prefer the 1960 with the Traillii too, but that's more an ergonomic than SQ thing, since the improvement on sound with the Orpheus was not significant enough for me to justify what I felt was a weight/bulk imbalance with the light little Bird.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #25,964 of 88,290
I may or may not have an Orphy for sale. :sweat_smile:

May 31, 2022 at 1:25 AM Post #25,965 of 88,290
20220531_060351.jpg

Not my usual 6am choice of music but Hook X arrived yesterday and giving the drivers a work out before having a proper listen. Glad I bought these, definitely an interesting IEM with regard to presentation. Concur that tuning wise they're pretty good, interested to hear them after a few days on loop. I'm personally not hearing a super wide stage (extension out of head) but they are quite ethereal, can't quite put my finger on it. And for now, not enough heft down low even though I'm not a basshead. A bit...floaty...? To be continued....

Orph...OK, so IMO yes, it's absolutely a stand out cable. It's not some magic wand that transforms mutton into lamb but what it does is very apparent. I didn't like it with RH (doubled down on where RH is strong) but I did appreciate what it did technically and how it afected tuning. Little bit daft but I did try it on CRA and had a giggle at the improved presentation. Jewel arrive probably end of week so that should be quite interesting vs Aromas stock cable. I love challenging what I think is the best ive got / heard so if a cable tour pops up and I can take part, I'll happily shake the tree and see if it can be dethroned specifically to my source and IEM. Would I put it top of the list for best component in my setup? No. N8ii all the way, then transducer then cable but I've not heard another cable that sounds even close to what orph does and I'd be pretty bummed if it was taken ot of the mix. Edit: I don't have an allergy to poor ergonomics either so that also makes it an easier decision. On the go, it probably wouldn't be my 1st choice though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back