The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 14, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,583 of 88,451
Epic underrated soundtrack
A masterpiece
I’d always enjoyed & appreciated their work to a degree, but never considered myself a “fan”. It wasn’t until I heard the Tron Legacy soundtrack that I was like “whoa, these guys are geniuses!”

Aug 14, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,584 of 88,451
I’d always enjoyed & appreciated their work to a degree, but never considered myself a “fan”. It wasn’t until I heard the Tron Legacy soundtrack that I was like “whoa, these guys are geniuses!”
I hope that you have the "recording seasons" 61 (!) Tracks of pure glory 😃

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_214712.jpg
    IMG_20210814_214712.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #2,585 of 88,451
Very very strongly agree, it's one of my favorites.
Okay, I've interrupted my Grateful Dead Saturday afternoon for Tron Legacy, OMG, the opening synth, wow! Thanks, guys for the recommendation!

Aug 14, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,587 of 88,451
Daft Punk has always been a fave. I only saw the movie Tron Legacy recently and it was way better than I thought.

In other news a couple updates if anyone's interested:

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 5.15.15 PM.png

Aug 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #2,588 of 88,451
If you like your raga with home-made modular synths, this is excellent:

Andro2020 says yes!

Thank you for this, this was blissful

Aug 15, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #2,589 of 88,451
FamBam

8798F99B-C5FD-4C84-9D7A-23068EF2A5EB.jpeg

In other news:
100K views! Thank-you all to all the contributors & lurkers out there :)

Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 3.33.04 PM.png

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #2,590 of 88,451
A first encounter with the RS10

rs10.jpg

Within IEM world, it feels like barely a month passes by without some new models popping up with all-conquering diamond coating or cutting-edge ESTs being touted as the latest big thing. But more and more I experience these FOTM, I gravitate more towards the IEMs that stand astride the middle ground of proven BA technology and established crossover implementation that actually deliver the more balanced performance (tonality + technicalities) thus providing greater musical enjoyment. On paper, 100db/mV sensitivity coupled with impedance of 25ohm does give you some indication of amping requirements. However, what those numbers do hide is the definite RS10's attribute, a preference for a clean and dynamic power and a thirst for electric current. This is a rare case outside of the IER-Z1R where I saw marked improvements going turbo gain on my M8.

I get quite a few people asking me what the RS10 sounds like, so I'll start with a very general description, and try to elaborate in my review later.

First of all, as you may expect from their large sized shell, they sound big. Big in the way music sounds quite tangible, and if you closed your eyes for a moment, you could be forgiven for thinking that the music coming through them is coming from musicians playing live in a well damped studio. The RS10's presentation of recorded music is refreshingly clean, with a good tonal characteristics. Bass is slightly soft hitting, but pacey and well defined. It undoubtedly lacks a bit of DD texture and slam, but within BA realm, I would say the bass is quite competent and tastefully executed. It reminds me of a bit of the VE Elysium where it lays down a taut foundation for the midrange and treble to shine. Midrange tuning of the RS10 seems to be aimed at exploring the maximum clarity, which means healthy dose of upper mids. Maybe a tad too energetic here, but thankfully no where near those harman research influenced in-your-face upper mids elevation. Treble response is very good with proficient technicalities to handle complex cymbal crashes, and sounds tonally accurate.

Within the realm of intangibles, the RS10 excels. The RS10’s technical ability is pretty incredible, with impressive detail retrieval and uncongested layering. Even with 10 BAs, it doesn't show any time domain incoherency between the drivers. Also for a tubed IEM, staging is quite spacious and exhibits accurate positioning within the sonic wall. I also think the RS10 layers better than the IER-Z1R and it’s surprisingly competent in this department. RS10 really does a good job at capturing stuff in the mix that might otherwise be buried.

Looking forward to hear more and write in-depth experience of this IEM.

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #2,591 of 88,451
Excellent impressions man thanks for sharing...I can't wait to hear it for myself. Interesting about the S10 needing lots of power...I heard the RSV and found it monumentally disappointing...I wonder if this was a power issue.

no where near those harman research influenced in-your-face upper mids elevation

I don't understand this and it's one of the main reasons I typically steer clear of harman tuned IEMs.

Aug 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #2,593 of 88,451

Attachments

• Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 0
  • Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Folder.jpg
    Folder.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,594 of 88,451
Daft Punk has always been a fave. I only saw the movie Tron Legacy recently and it was way better than I thought.

In other news a couple updates if anyone's interested:

I have two suggestions:
  1. Fatigue: This term is a bit confusing here. Do you mean how fatiguing the sound signature is? Surely not, I presume it is the opposite - how less fatiguing the sound is. You should instead use the term Listening Comfort. That will be easier to understand.
  2. Traillii = Baseline: I think, since the scores are given in respect of how close to Traillii a iem is able to approach, it should be rather termed as Traillii = Target.
Just my 2 cents.

Have another question - Even though W6.2 scores slightly more than Holocene in terms of Air, Sparkle, & Spaciousness, how come Holocene scores significantly more than W6.2 in terms of Naturalness & Clarity? Do the Air, Sparkle & Spaciousness not go hand in hand with Clarity? I can understand the perception of naturalness may vary from person to person, but the other two are quite objective aspects, not subjective.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back