The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 28, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #25,816 of 88,566
Finally got to try the fire bird! :) Looks good, gorgeous rich mids

taken-1653646489656.jpg

Beauty!

I'm sure you'll like them. Your impressions of the Dorado helped me to buy one and it's definitely a keeper. Campfire's tuning philosophy seems to resonate well with me.

Same here. I really appreciate your comments. I've heard enough positive impressions so far that I'm pretty confident they'll make a wonderful edition to my collection. I've always jived with CFA's tuning more often than not and I'm pretty sure that Ken Ball (and whoever else is behind their tuning) listens to the same sort of music I do, and for the same reasons.

that sounds like reactions for just about every planar IEM out there.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if things like fit, tips and source have an even bigger impact with planar than with other driver types.

Vision Ears Phönix Impressions

Per my usual disclaimers.

I’m not an ‘audiophile’ by any means but I love my music and I love how certain headphones, IEMs, and TWS invoke fond memories and emotions of past and present life experiences with my family.

Tested on genres such as Classical, Jazz, Pop, EDM, Hip Hop, Movie scores and soundtracks such as Wonder Woman, Batman Begins, Inception on stock cable with 2.5mm termination on FiiO M11 Plus ESS and Spinfits CP360 XL tips

This is my first time listening to an all BA configuration, let alone 13 BA’s in an IEM and I am pleasantly surprised at the poise and organic timbre the Phonix presents. It’s elegant but can also punch when it needs to punch on elegant tracks, bass tracks and mid-range heavy tracks.

It has a stunning degree of openness and airiness that I just love in IEMs. This is my musical choice when it comes to the sonic qualities of an IEM. I appreciate detail and resolution but when it comes to being ‘immersed’ in my music, I much prefer the opportunity to be enveloped in the velvety embrace of this sonic blanket whether in the high frequencies, mid-range or bass. I like to feel ALL of it but it needs to have poise, cohesion, control, naturalness and enough space for me not to feel fatigue or cramped.

I absolutely love the width, depth, layering and imaging capabilities of the Phonix. It is step up from the CFA Dorado 2020 but not ‘too’ far off but it is a nice step up nonetheless and noticeable. When I listen and describe the qualities of an IEM, I try to provide the emotions that they invoke when I listen to my music and try to focus less on the technicalities and more on the musicality and how it makes me feel overall with my library. Listening to the FFXIV soundtrack gives me a sense of grandeur with its airy and organic presentation with great poise, layering, body and weight to its sonic profile. It really is outstanding. I’m literally transported into the midst of the orchestra with that grand sense of space and 3-dimensional aspect.

Fit and Build Quality 4.5/5
  • Feels premium, excellent fit
  • Smooth where it needs to be smooth to have a good fit and not create any weird itches or scuffing in your ears or any of the cartilage
  • No wearing fatigue or soreness even after several hours of usage
Treble 4/5
  • Just the right amount of air and extension without fatigue and sibilance
  • Precise textured and gives plenty of detail and resolution without over extending the FR
Mid-Range 4.5/5
  • Sweet, elegant, lush, forward and positioned well around the listener without feeling cramped
  • Those guitars, flutes, violins and pianos are highly resolving and sounded very accurately placed from a layering, width and depth perspective.
Vocals 4/5
  • Warm across the board for both Male and Female vocals. Female vocals sound crisp, airy with excellent extension and not a single resemblance of sibilance or harshness, it’s incredible
  • Male vocals sound accurate, husky and has great texture
Soundstage/Imaging 4.5/5
  • Simply outstanding, the best I’ve heard in an IEM thus far in terms of width, depth and 3-dimensional space that it creates without feeling artificial or forced
  • Layering is composed, accurate and right where the instruments should be to my ears
Bass 4/5
  • Could have used a little more mid and sub-bass, I may be a bass head but I love the texture and bass detail of the Dorado 2020 and listening to the Phonix left me wanting a little bit more on that front. The Dorado’s rattle my skull a little bit more and I would have appreciated a little more ‘oomph’ on that front but still provided great texture, detail and impact for a BA setup.

The biggest challenge for me still remains. Which is the price. Is the Phonix worth it’s insane $4.5K+ CAD price point? When I compare the subtleties and differences in its sonic profile vs the CFA Dorado 2020, the answer is unfortunately a no for me. It definitely gave me an extra sense of emotion and musicality that is still similarly presented by the Dorado 2020 but doesn’t warrant the 3x price point in my view.

Nevertheless, I have very much appreciated this community, the thoughts shared across a number of IEMs and I count myself fortunate to be part of the banter and trying out such gems, even if only for a short period. Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts and impressions 😊

Ps. I will try to replicate a similar format for thoughts and impressions of the EXT in the coming weeks. Thanks again @Rockwell75 for organizing these tours!

Great impressions thank-you for sharing! Phonix is my favorite all BA IEM by some margin...but lately I'm a DD guy through and through, especially with the mids & bass. I may dabble in the BA world again and Phonix is the first one I've heard in a while that's really tempted me. Of all the IEMs I've heard this year and not purchased Phonix is the one that lingers the most strongly in my mind...if I can ever get a good enough deal on a used one I may jump.

May 28, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #25,817 of 88,566
Great impressions thank-you for sharing! Phonix is my favorite all BA IEM by some margin...but lately I'm a DD guy through and through, especially with the mids & bass. I may dabble in the BA world again and Phonix is the first one I've heard in a while that's really tempted me. Of all the IEMs I've heard this year and not purchased Phonix is the one that lingers the most strongly in my mind...if I can ever get a good enough deal on a used one I may jump.

Agree, I was a little skeptical with an all BA configuration but the Phonix definitely changed my mind on that front. I think @metaljem77 has a pre loved pair that she may be willing to relinquish at the right price. I'd probably jump on one if I can find a solid deal but am in no rush. :)

May 28, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #25,818 of 88,566
Phonix is my favorite all BA IEM by some margin...but lately I'm a DD guy through and through, especially with the mids & bass. I may dabble in the BA world again and Phonix is the first one I've heard in a while that's really tempted me. Of all the IEMs I've heard this year and not purchased Phonix is the one that lingers the most strongly in my mind...if I can ever get a good enough deal on a used one I may jump.
Even here before I got ACE and F7U
Ace are my favorite full BA and Fibae7 ultimate is incredible good, both scale a lot with Copper+ cable.
I’d try Phönix again with this PlusSound.

May 28, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #25,819 of 88,566
Even here before I got ACE and F7U
Ace are my favorite full BA and Fibae7 ultimate is incredible good, both scale a lot with Copper+ cable.
I’d try Phönix again with this PlusSound.

I've wanted to try the Fibae 7 for a few years now...it's still high on my bucket list of IEMs I want to try. Were it not for my general aversion to BAs I'd have probably jumped on one just out of curiosity.

May 28, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #25,820 of 88,566
Beauty!

Same here. I really appreciate your comments. I've heard enough positive impressions so far that I'm pretty confident they'll make a wonderful edition to my collection. I've always jived with CFA's tuning more often than not and I'm pretty sure that Ken Ball (and whoever else is behind their tuning) listens to the same sort of music I do, and for the same reasons.

Honestly I'm starting to wonder if things like fit, tips and source have an even bigger impact with planar than with other driver types.

Man I'm considering letting my phonix go as we speak! Hehe went on a raid buying other iems on my list. Hehe PM me if interested :)
20220528_121413.jpg

May 28, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #25,821 of 88,566
I've wanted to try the Fibae 7 for a few years now...it's still high on my bucket list of IEMs I want to try. Were it not for my general aversion to BAs I'd have probably jumped on one just out of curiosity.
Been there, done that. Really didn't get the hype they had at the time. Think I returned the demo pair the next day. I thought Oriolus mk.2 were better...

May 28, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #25,822 of 88,566
Agree, I was a little skeptical with an all BA configuration but the Phonix definitely changed my mind on that front. I think @metaljem77 has a pre loved pair that she may be willing to relinquish at the right price. I'd probably jump on one if I can find a solid deal but am in no rush. :)
I’m sorry if I gave that impression but I don’t have a Phonix 😝 In fact it’s one of the IEMs that was / is not on my radar, I used to have Erlk and was really not interested in setting no. 2. I think if I were to consider an all-BA IEM without BCD etc, I’d prob get the Elysian Dita (edit: Diva as correctly pointed out by efftee) 🧐

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #25,823 of 88,566
Been there, done that. Really didn't get the hype they had at the time. Think I returned the demo pair the next day. I thought Oriolus mk.2 were better...
I got new model called Fibae 7 unlimited, scale a lot with PlusSound copper+

May 28, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #25,824 of 88,566
I reviewed it around 9 months ago, but basically, I find it one of the most technical strong IEMs around for its price point which is about $1100 USD. It's a neutral with big sub-bass boost that really slams hard and has good dynamics and resolution. My biggest two faults with it are that the ear canal angle is a little off for me, along with the kind of awkward shape. Some people have gotten great amazing fit with these though. My other nitpick is that I wish it had a little more mid-bass as it's a little recessed in that area, as a trade-off for its spectacular sub-bass performance.

It's quite impressive of an IEM for being 4-BA.

edit: link to my review: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/09/symphonium-helios-review.html
Thanks so much! 😉👍😊

May 28, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #25,825 of 88,566
I got new model called Fibae 7 unlimited, scale a lot with PlusSound copper+
Yeah, I dear say they sound quite a bit different. 👍

(Wasn't a criticism of Ultimate or the brand in general, just just "didn't get" the previous 7's).

Last edited:
May 28, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #25,826 of 88,566
May 28, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #25,827 of 88,566
Well, took me a long time to decide. But the N8ii will stay and the 1Z-M2 will be off to it’s new owner tomorrow. Absolutely love both DAPs but I can’t justify 2 TOTL DAPs and the N8ii is more versatile and has better bass texture (which is very important to me). I’ll miss that M2 + Jewel combo for the mid range though. :frowning2:
Hi! Lee told me that the 1zm2 pairs very well with the Annihilator. What do you think about his point? How does 1zm2 compare to the n8ii when play with Annihilator?

May 28, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #25,828 of 88,566
Hi! Lee told me that the 1zm2 pairs very well with the Annihilator. What do you think about his point? How does 1zm2 compare to the n8ii when play with Annihilator?
I haven't heard the M2 yet, but I have heard the Annihilator with N8ii, M9 and RS6+C9. I found it sounds great with all of my sources. Actually, my preferred pairing is with RS6+C9 because my favorite attribute of the Annihilator is its great treble response. The RS6 has to my ear the best treble and the Annihilator really takes advantage of it.

May 28, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #25,829 of 88,566
I published my review for Thunder tonight, I was sort of on auto pilot as I had my final day of my 2nd year in college today - 1 year remaining which starts again in October, very nice to have a few months break now from books, case studies, and assignments!

My feelings for this IEM already clear in this thread, but nice to now articulate in a formal review!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aroma-audio-thunder.25814/reviews#review-28572

Thunder-1a.jpg

May 28, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #25,830 of 88,566
I published my review for Thunder tonight, I was sort of on auto pilot as I had my final day of my 2nd year in college today - 1 year remaining which starts again in October, very nice to have a few months break now from books, case studies, and assignments!

My feelings for this IEM already clear in this thread, but nice to now articulate in a formal review!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/aroma-audio-thunder.25814/reviews#review-28572

Thunder-1a.jpg
Great review my friend, happy you’re enjoying Thunder!😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back