The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 6, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #24,076 of 88,295
It is truly amazing how we can hear things so differently, but will definitely try the N8ii again when the Origa arrives. My gut tells me the A100Tb doesn’t really match the N8ii all that well and I’ve heard wondrous things happen when the N8ii mates with the Origa! That said, I'm very probably the only one here who thinks that if you’re not hearing the difference, the transducer not scaling is as much a possibility, likely more so in my experience, as ext amping not adding value. Ergonomy aside, separating the amp-DAC always improves sound quality, just a case of how much and whether the improvements justify the extra bulk. Of course, provided there’s synergy between the Amp and DAC/DAP. My $0.02.

Possibly, but I am also using the Annihilator like you have been doing and I don’t think there’s much improvement at all over the N8ii or M2 by themselves. Treble still sounds very ethereal and weightless too me, bass density improves but it still can’t match the sub bass depth of the kinetic bass drivers.

May 6, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #24,077 of 88,295
May 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #24,078 of 88,295
Oh really? I've often drawn comparisons between enjoying audio and enjoying food as I think there are many parallels. The most common analogy compares appreciation of bass to appreciation of spice-- everyone has their own tolerance for what is "too much" and "too little" etc. Beyond that peoples' tastes in audio are often akin to tastes in food-- everyone relates to and appreciates flavours differently. There are different styles of cooking and food just as there are different styles of tuning, often infused with passion, creativity and flare. No one of will be preferred by all people. Some people like powerful flavourful food, others like milder more basic food. IMHO tuning, just like food, need not be entirely utilitarian. Food is meant to nourish the body, but most of us like it to nourish our passions as well, just as with audio.
Hmm. That is an interesting analogy, I can relate to that. Food to music, most definitely -- different genre to different cuisine, different spices to different components, different techniques/styles or different tunings. If music be the food of love, play on!

Possibly, but I am also using the Annihilator like you have been doing and I don’t think there’s much improvement at all over the N8ii or M2 by themselves. Treble still sounds very ethereal and weightless too me, bass density improves but it still can’t match the sub bass depth of the kinetic bass drivers.
Grr! Let me check flight schedule to Houston, we need to cross listen to each other’s rig!

[Edit: @aaf evo, on second thought, the BD34301 in the N8ii in a sigma-delta implementation is radically different from the PCM1704K on R2R, not to mention the internal amp and other proprietary what-nots in each of these 2 DAPs. I think it is fair to say the incremental improvements experienced between these players when amped will not be the same, not sure if it's even fit for A/B comparison! But if you are up for it, I'd like to get a few tracks from you that you didn't hear much weight and textural differences in the trebles, as well as the sub-bass quality, off the Annihilator. You're on Spotify right? Let me check my tracks choices there and will share those (probably in 12 or more hours, will be busy with the kids over the weekend) I found to be considerably improved. I am really curious and would dearly love to find out how the 2 DAC/DAPs on the same amp out, CIEM and material sound!]

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #24,079 of 88,295
Tweaked this a little bit. I had stated that the metric was my own personal enjoyment taking into account each IEM at its best (that I'd heard it). It didn't feel right not having the IER Z1R at the top because that IEM at its best is as good as any I've ever heard. I added a couple more also.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 8.02.50 PM.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #24,080 of 88,295
Has anyone here been to a Michelin restaurant? And if so are they everything they're cracked up to be or are they the culinary equivalent of a really technical IEM that looks great on paper but isn't as properly enjoyable as something more conventional?
Been to a bunch, nyc, la, London, Paris, Zürich, Alsace and Baden Baden. Depends on the restaurant, some amazing, some not my thing. But I love French inspired foods.

May 6, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #24,081 of 88,295
Very sad today. One of my cats was hit by a car and killed.

Here she is in happier times, and proving that you dare not leave any valuable equipment unattended. 🥲

69C54EEF-1A0A-45B2-A29D-F2DDDFBE2238.jpeg
So sorry. I love my dog dearly and can imagine the sense of loss your feeling.

May 6, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #24,082 of 88,295
Just the added security I guess. When Canada fully transitions to a China-like social credit system it's one less thing the government will be able to take away from me after I've posted too many Justin Trudeau memes.
Let me just prepare this tin-foil hat for you… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I've often drawn comparisons between enjoying audio and enjoying food as I think there are many parallels.
Yah, and I reckon there are similar parallels with wines or beers. For example, Saison is a style I’ve struggled to enjoy, probably because until recently I hadn’t explored enough of them to learn what to appreciate. This French one from La Debauche, however is outstanding. The characteristic farmhouse ’funk’ is fairly light and doesn’t overpower my palate like some others can…

FB43EB65-6FB6-4F08-84B0-32A0A550EDDC.jpeg

May 6, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #24,083 of 88,295
Yah, and I reckon there are similar parallels with wines or beers. For example, Saison is a style I’ve struggled to enjoy, probably because until recently I hadn’t explored enough of them to learn what to appreciate. This French one from La Debauche, however is outstanding. The characteristic farmhouse ’funk’ is fairly light and doesn’t overpower my palate like some others can…

Another great analogy. I think anything which appeals to the senses and elicits an emotional response will have lots of parallels for many of us in audio.

Edit: Great session with EXT today. One think I think EXT does as well as or better than anything out there is bring life, depth and emotion to old recordings. It's like getting a new and exclusive remaster to all your favorite old recordings and by old I mean anything before 1990.

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #24,084 of 88,295
Aroma amp is one of the best buys I've made in the hobby without a doubt. I can't use P6Pro anymore without it and opamp rolling is fun too, my favorite IEM pairing is Fusang (and X is fantastic as well). As I've said before, Aroma A100TB is a must demo if you get the chance at a show or meetup.
I could be talking out of my a$$ once again 😅 but I’m beginning to think perhaps the Aroma power stack synergizes better with R2R implementations than sigma-deltas. I did not get the same level of improvements out of the 3MaxTi as the HM1K, though more than what @aaf evo is getting… “outside of the improved bass” and “upper mids and treble more present”. Strange but at the same time, wonderfully confounding…

May 7, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #24,085 of 88,295
Tweaked this a little bit. I had stated that the metric was my own personal enjoyment taking into account each IEM at its best (that I'd heard it). It didn't feel right not having the IER Z1R at the top because that IEM at its best is as good as any I've ever heard. I added a couple more also.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 8.02.50 PM.png
Nice list. A bit too many at the top I think. I love the Andromeda, but I would not call it S-Class. I would love to have them all!

May 7, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #24,086 of 88,295
ind this fascinating-- Florida I get but what could NYC water possibly have over the water in the lush forests of the Pacific Northwest?

Edit: I will say that it was indeed the crust that made NYC pizza so special...when done right it just simultaneously crumbles and melts in your mouth.
I have heard it said the best water in the US comes from NYC. In the states I have travelled to ( many, but not all) NYC water has always been better. In some states and cities it actually tastes terrible ( NJ for example ).

The water in NYC actually comes from where I live ( at least part of it). I am about 60 miles north of the city in the Hudson Valley and we have a number of the reservoirs for NYC. As a previous post said, it probably has to do with the minerals.

May 7, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #24,087 of 88,295
Nice list. A bit too many at the top I think. I love the Andromeda, but I would not call it S-Class.

I understand why some wouldn't but it's one of the few all BA IEMs that has managed to consistently captivate me over long stretches of time. There are better IEMs out there for sure but in terms of pure unadulterated enjoyment when it's firing on all cylinders through a good source it's up there with the best for me. Phonix is perhaps the first all BA IEM I've encountered that is a comprehensive upgrade to the Andromeda on its own terms.

May 7, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #24,088 of 88,295
I have heard it said the best water in the US comes from NYC. In the states I have travelled to ( many, but not all) NYC water has always been better. In some states and cities it actually tastes terrible ( NJ for example ).

The water in NYC actually comes from where I live ( at least part of it). I am about 60 miles north of the city in the Hudson Valley and we have a number of the reservoirs for NYC. As a previous post said, it probably has to do with the minerals.
This is a massive TIL for me. I understand why and believe it but of all the things one thinks of when NYC comes to mind TOTL tap water isn’t near the top of the list for me. I always thought we had the best water over here on the west. I have been humbled.

May 7, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #24,090 of 88,295
Starting the week-end with a fully-loaded homemade burger before a well-deserved listening session with the Jewel.

It will be a good night🎧

Don't get me wrong, I would eat that burger in a minute. I just wouldn't eat it with a glass of wine. I would have a bottle of beer.
Hi F700 and HiFiHawaii808,

It has been a while since I’ve had red or white wine, as I tend to stick with beer more when I’m eating a burger or any casual-fare comfort food, and also that I drink much less without much rotation in variety (about a bottle or two each month) than I did before the pandemic.

Before the pandemic, my eating and drinking habits nearly spiraled out of control, as I would have a glass or two of different kinds of beer, cognac, bourbon, or whiskey, and sometimes with a burger, at a different bar/restaurant each day about five days a week, which put me in a dark point of my life during my food/drink outings from 2015 to 2018. Thankfully, with the help of some uplifting music and iems (and with a phone/dongle, from late 2018), it has helped me significantly to cut down my toxic habits and got me moving more through hikes and jogs on trails.

Whatever I’m in the mood for, though, I think it could go both ways. Some days I’d feel like having a burger with a beer, but other days not so much. If I’m undecided on the spot at a bar/restaurant, then I’d go for something that has a bit more roasted barley malt for smooth bite and some fruit for tartness to get a more wine-cidery flavor. In that case, a Lambic Bourbon, or an Indian Pale Ale for more hop/citric taste, would pair just fine with almost any burger, or even with a shrimp roll bun, for my tastes and preferences.

(All photos below of burgers, sides and drinks were taken with a Samsung Galaxy S phone, sometime before/start of the pandemic.)
SingleBurger-ERB-DowntownLosAngelesCA.jpg
Cheeseburger (Everson Royce Bar, Downtown, Los Angeles, California).

ShrimpRollBun-ERB-DowntownLosAngelesCA.jpg
Shrimp roll bun (Everson Royce Bar, Downtown, Los Angeles, California).

Burger-animal-FairfaxLosAngelesCA.jpg
Cheeseburger (with house sauce, house blend ground beef patty, jack cheese, poblano pepper, red onion, on bun), from animal restaurant (Fairfax, Los Angeles, California).

FoieGrasOnBiscuitWithGravy-animal-FairfaxLosAngelesCA.jpg
Foie gras on biscuit in maple sausage gravy (animal restaurant, Fairfax, Los Angeles, California).

On other days, when I want to try something more robust, acidic and full-bodied, any Cabernet Sauvignon red wine (not pictured below, but this would be my preferred choice of wine to sometimes pair with a burger or a steak) would do fine with a burger that has a lot more going on with fatty, rich, bold/forward flavors with some gamey taste/texture, along with a side of charcuterie.
TerrineBurgerwithFoieGras-Terrine-LosAngelesCA.jpg
Terrine burger (with truffled butter and cheese, foie gras, house blend ground beef patty, aioli, crispy shallots, cured tomato, on bun), from Terrine (Los Angeles, California) - restaurant permanently closed.

CharcuterieandCrudites-Terrine-LosAngelesCA.jpg
Charcuterie (rillettes, truffled chicken liver, pork liver terrine, pickled vegetables, house sausage), from Terrine (Los Angeles, California) - restaurant permanently closed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back