The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #21,556 of 90,220
Interesting...your Odin (viz a viz an Odin with more bass less upper mids) is what I think a lot of people were hoping the Evo would be.
Oh I noticed the sad face when you mention perhaps you’re becoming a bass head 😆 welcome welcome!

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #21,557 of 90,220
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #21,559 of 90,220
The majority of music I am listening to nowadays is jazz trio music (piano/stand-up bass/drums), indie rock, progressive bluegrass, and a variety of 80s-early 2Ks rock and new wave music. My typical tuning preferences are pretty much neutral with small subbass boost.

I have my "preference target" in my graph tool (linked in signature), which my Viento CIEM matches well. (This is why I'm really interested in the Elysian Diva!)
graph (10).png

But, as this is just a target, you'll see the choices I made can vary from it.

graph (9).png

The Odin I actually own has more bass and less upper-mids for some reason than the original one I reviewed:

graph (11).png

Maybe I've become a basshead. :frowning2:
Hmmm, this is an interesting finding. I absolutely loved my original Odin, but I swapped it to a friend and I took his unit (he preferred my faceplates lol) and I noticed that the 2nd unit was less bassy and more forward in the upper mids. I also noticed that the shell was slightly different shaped, specifically around the nozzle because tips didn’t fit the same way as my previous set.

I did not like the 2nd set anywhere near as much as my first, hence why I sold it. I assumed I got some sort of unicorn unit the first time around and haven’t pursued it further. But hearing that there’s other units out there with similar variances is very intriguing…

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:15 PM Post #21,560 of 90,220
It was @antdroid who said that...he used to be the opposite of a bass head.
My bad, clearly I haven’t had enough coffee 🤣

Imagine being sad at the prospect of becoming a basshead. Bass rules!
Haha, all music genres are wonderful and bring joy in different ways to different people. I used to listen to a lot of classical music but it brings back a lot of regret to earlier times pre-illness. And now, I just have a lot of pent-up frustration at life’s curveballs so I really need metal music for catharsis 😈

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #21,561 of 90,220
Haha, all music genres are wonderful and bring joy in different ways to different people. I used to listen to a lot of classical music but it brings back a lot of regret to earlier times pre-illness. And now, I just have a lot of pent-up frustration at life’s curveballs so I really need metal music for catharsis 😈

This hobby (and forum) has provided tremendous relief to many over the last 2 years.

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #21,562 of 90,220
It's hard to say. Their M6 Pro used a sabre chip when they ran out of AK, and the M8 used cirrus logic...not sure what the next M9s will be.
M6 pro 2020 used dual AKM4497 and M6 Pro 2021 used dual Sabre 9068.
M8 used dual AKM4499 as M9

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #21,563 of 90,220
Interesting I consider it to be a steal for $2K. What is it lacking for you from a value perspective?
I was using the 3MAX SS ($2300, LE of 400) and Ti ($3300, LE of 100, only 50 for worldwide) as comparable limited edition DAPs (AKM4499) and price points. I was estimating it would be closer to 3MAX SS pricing - since the M8 was around $1650-1700. Feature wise it’s comparable to 3MAX with the exception of a significantly larger screen. But ja I agree at 2nd hand pricing $2K is steal. I was challenged with rationalizing pricing and value difference from the 3MAX. I tend to primarily evaluate purchases based on value but then I’m irrational with others - looks at my horological acquisitions over the past two decades… LOL

It's hard to say. Their M6 Pro used a sabre chip when they ran out of AK, and the M8 used cirrus logic...not sure what the next M9s will be.
I might had recalled ESS for next M9s but that may have been recently announced M7.

Here's a cooler survey: You're stranded on a desert island with power, WIFI and all your current IEMs and if applicable SD cards-- what is your source?
If one source: N8ii - flexibility to tailor the signature

If more than one source: N8ii, M9, M17

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #21,564 of 90,220
The majority of music I am listening to nowadays is jazz trio music (piano/stand-up bass/drums), indie rock, progressive bluegrass, and a variety of 80s-early 2Ks rock and new wave music. My typical tuning preferences are pretty much neutral with small subbass boost.

I have my "preference target" in my graph tool (linked in signature), which my Viento CIEM matches well. (This is why I'm really interested in the Elysian Diva!)
graph (10).png

But, as this is just a target, you'll see the choices I made can vary from it.

graph (9).png

The Odin I actually own has more bass and less upper-mids for some reason than the original one I reviewed:

graph (11).png

Maybe I've become a basshead. :frowning2:
Mmm, EE Odin Sample 2 graph. I would love and enjoy a duplicate of your Odin! Haha

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #21,565 of 90,220
odidid.jpg

Even though I sold mine, guess I had the proper bassy one..

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #21,566 of 90,220
It has already departed. A friend asked to buy it from me the other day so I let it go to him as it wasn't getting enough use. Sad to see it go, it actually was one of the best fitting IEMs I've ever owned but I'm sticking to my one in/ one out policy and when an IEM isn't getting enough use I hate seeing that.
Trailli have a chance of grabbing a spot in the stable??
Ja ja, the M9 is musically impressive and hear why it’s special among the Cooler - especially when there’s a musical synergy with your IEM/HP collection. I’m looking forward to adding the M9 to my growing DAP collection and joining the Cooler M9 crew, LOL.
I’ve limited experience with DAPs but the M9 is the first player I’ve felt really elevates my IEMs in a special way. Maybe it’s just making my IEMs “shine” to their full potential but it’s been remarkable how well it pairs with the Ne4 and Nio. Out of the box, I found the M9 a bit boomy and almost “heavy” for lack of a better word. But as I’ve now nearly 100 hours on the player the low end has tightened up but still retained excellent bass thump and kick. There’s tons of weight where I want it but it no longer feels overly done or bloated. And the soundstage has really begun to open up as well. Maybe this is brain burn in? I can’t say for sure.

The DX300 I’m coming from is a great player but is fairly neutral and flat to my ears. That’s all well and good, letting the IEMs doing their thing, but the M9 simply seems to enhance the IEMs signature above and beyond.

I’ll omit the metal genre impressions as I know it doesn’t land for most, so another album which is a bit more approachable that’s really blown me away via M9 -> Ne4 is Antonio Forcione Tears of Joy.

The thump of the percussion instruments throughout, the timbre of the guitar string plucks and the warmth of the Bansuri flute is otherworldly. It’s such a bodied, musical and all encompassing sound. Addictive to say the least.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #21,567 of 90,220
I might had recalled ESS for next M9s but that may have been recently announced M7.
Shanling in November announced M9 with Dual AKM4499 as limited units, so they decided to stop M8 production and save lastest chip dac for M9.
They said also will move to Sabre for every future Dap, including next M9 release but recently told me here “maybe not”
I bet they will come with new dac as N8ii.
Dual ROHM BD34301EKV

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #21,568 of 90,220
Imagine being sad at the prospect of becoming a basshead. Bass rules!
What is the true definition of "bass head" these days? My bass head might be slightly less than another "bass head"...what's our baseline? For example, ppl think Dorado 2020s are bass head level quality but I think it's perfect for my taste. It has such great texture, extension and fullness that sits just right within my preference for sound and I wouldn't really consider it bass head level IEMS BUT, I suppose if you compare to "reference" style IEMS, it may fall into the bass head category.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #21,569 of 90,220
What is the true definition of "bass head" these days? My bass head might be slightly less than another "bass head"...what's our baseline? For example, ppl think Dorado 2020s are bass head level quality but I think it's perfect for my taste. It has such great texture, extension and fullness that sits just right within my preference for sound.
Every time I hear bass-head I think of those ghetto blaster cars from the 70s with two large subwoofers cabinets mounted in the back seat.
Music blasting and rattling the windows in the houses as they drove by.

1650247927565.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:09 PM Post #21,570 of 90,220
Shanling in November announced M9 with Dual AKM4499 as limited units, so they decided to stop M8 production and save lastest chip dac for M9.
They said also will move to Sabre for every future Dap, including next M9 release but recently told me here “maybe not”
I bet they will come with new dac as N8ii.
Dual ROHM BD34301EKV
Thank for recalling and confirming. I do remember that Shanling mentioning moving to Sabre for future DAPs including M9. Fiio’s implementation of ESS9038Pro is quite nice and doesn’t have the stereotypical signature that ESS are known for. Hopefully Shanling will consider ROHM.

When considering a new DAP, I try not to double up on identical DACs to enjoy different signatures and implementations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back