The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #21,526 of 89,187
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #21,529 of 89,187
Survey results (so far):

Jewel x7
XE6 x4
Mason FS x3
Odin x3
Traillii x3
A12t x2
EXT x2
EVO x2
FA10000 x2
IER Z1R x2
Annihilator
Dorado 2020
Eden
Isa
Kr5
MEXT
Noir
Titan
Turii
X

Edited with @tgx78, @discord, @bden59
Top 3 for me...

1.) Dorado 2020
2.) Solaris 2020
3.) Z1R

I haven't heard many IEMs beyond maybe handful but will definitely share my thoughts once the VE and FIR kits arrive :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #21,530 of 89,187
My family and I are planning a trip to Singapore in June/July, so - God forbid the situation here/there doesn't suddenly escalate - the shackles keeping me from all this new gear might finally be coming loose. :D If that trip goes through, I'd love to try the Jewel, the Storm, the Elysian IEMs and the FiR Frontier series. A tier below those in terms of anticipation would be the new DITA Perpetua, the EE EVO, PW's new cables, as well as IEMs from SoftEars and Craft Ears. I'd also love to give the Aroma Thunder a listen, after @Xinlisupreme's very positive comments, and I'm also a bit curious to give the Ace another go. I heard it years ago, and I found it very good, but I wasn't blown away by it, mostly because it was quite a bit more treble-y than I preferred. It gave me an Anole VX vibe with its clarity and switch system, and they have a similar-ish FR as well:
2 stops to hear them all -- Sim Lim (Zeppelin), Adelphi (AV One, Project Perfection). I'd highly recommend you drop in at Jaben to listen to the DC Ti too, might just make you forget the rest. Storm may need a bit of prior arrangement, unless it's already launched, which is expected in May/June.

Man.. the Carot One takes my way back to looking for my very first desktop amp at AV One. I remember they had one of the cute little ones next to some of the ALO Audio and Audinst gear they had there. I almost got one just to experience tubes, but their size gave me the idea that they would've been a bit of a compromise compared to the larger tube amps on the market. And, in a slight admittance of vanity, the metallic-orange hue did put me off in the end. :D
Yeah, you don't see stuff like that anymore, like the Tera Player -- what a pain to use but what glorious music! All nostalgic momentos now...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #21,531 of 89,187
Lee does have many pending orders now especially after the recent Canjam. He quoted me 4 weeks for my Annihilator though, so as a Malaysian we’ll see by then 😅
4 weeks is nothing haha! Won't scare you with how long mine took, but then he probably fulfilled other orders before mine. 🤬 Well worth the wait, if you ask me.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #21,532 of 89,187
Unfortunately i had problems with custom fitting 90% of the time so I’ll opt for universal this time round. Not to mention custom version is more expensive. But I do plan to change the faceplate on 1 side to a wooden design to make it less plain 😂
My only issue now with the Annihilator is the driver flex and I’m not a fan of the cable..
No driver flex experienced for me (custom) and same sentiment about the Martini cable, huge difference when I changed to the Venom, which according to Lee, was the 'best' cable for the Annihilator and, well, X too. After cable rolling a little, including the big guns -- Orpheus, Centurion, etc, I'd have to agree.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #21,533 of 89,187
Does the tuning switch make a noticeable difference? The only IEM I’ve had with a dip switch was the SA6 and it provided a very subtle change.
I prefer “Harmony” position where mids are full bodied and without BA-ish timbre.
Differences are noticeable, more than SA6 for sure😉

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #21,534 of 89,187
Dorado 2020 reaches the leaderboard, Solaris gets its first mention and the IER Z1R continues it slow and steady climb.

Traillii x16
Jewel x12
XE6 x11

EXT x10
IER Z1R x10
Mason x8
Odin x8
Phonix x7
Fourte x6
a/u12t x4
EVO x4
Legend X x4
Indigo x4
Andromeda x3
Ne4 x3
X x3

With ties for 6th, 9th and 10th places the above could be considered the current 'Cooler top 10. (Edit: u12t and a12t counts combined.)

Annihilator x2
Dorado 2020 x2
FA10000 x2
Infinity MkII x2
MEXT x2
Thummim x2

Legacy IEMs (those above that have been out since at least 2019):

IER Z1R
Mason
Fourte
a/u12t
Legend X
Andromeda
FA10000

a18s
Ace
Aionic 3
Anima
CRA
Eden
Erlkonig
E3000
EP05
EST50
IE900
Isa
Kaiser
Kr5
KSE-1200
MEST ii
Nio
Oriolus MKii
Orivetti
Ozar
Penon Legend
Phantom LE
Savant 2
SE11
Shingiku Kangen
Solaris
Starlight
Thunder
Timeless
Titan
Turii
VE8
Volt
Volume
Wraith

Edit: Added @Neweymatt, @Towa (Nice to see Andromeda get some more votes :)

Top Brands Mentioned:

Vision Ears x 19 (4 different IEMs)
EE x 18 (5 different IEMs)
Oriolus x 18 (3 different IEMs)
Fir x 15 (3 different IEMs)
UM x 15 (??? different IEMs)
Aroma x 14 (3 different IEMs)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #21,535 of 89,187
2 stops to hear them all -- Sim Lim (Zeppelin), Adelphi (AV One, Project Perfection). I'd highly recommend you drop in at Jaben to listen to the DC Ti too, might just make you forget the rest. Storm may need a bit of prior arrangement, unless it's already launched, which is expected in May/June.

Yeah, you see stuff like that anymore, like the Tera Player -- what a pain to use but what glorious music! All nostalgic momentos now...
Yeah, Zepp is the new MS as far as customs and cables are concerned. It's a shame there aren't too many audio spots around Orchard anymore. Both MS at Far East and Stereo at ION used to be on my bus route back from college. But, at least the ones left are within 1-2 MRT stops of each other. :D I'll probably be stopping by Jaben to try the Mason FS anyway, so the DC Ti will most likely get demoed as well. Do they still hold your ID while you demo, by the way? If so, would my Indonesian ID be alright, or do I have to bring my whole passport there too? :p

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #21,536 of 89,187
Would be interesting in a future poll to see what the Cooler leaderboard for DAPs looks like. After hearing my friend’s M9 this weekend, it’s on my birthday/holiday wishlist 🤭

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #21,537 of 89,187
Would be interesting in a future poll to see what the Cooler leaderboard for DAPs looks like. After hearing my friend’s M9 this weekend, it’s on my birthday/holiday wishlist 🤭

Glad you got to hear one, and moreso that you enjoyed it...it's a special player :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #21,538 of 89,187
I prefer “Harmony” position where mids are full bodied and without BA-ish timbre.
Differences are noticeable, more than SA6 for sure😉
That’s encouraging to hear! I’m of the mind that if you’re going to implement a tuning switch, it should make a marked change to the sound.
The M9 continues to impress me. I’ve yet to hear the N8ii and I know you like yours a lot, but the M9 leaves me wanting for nothing at this point. And it only keeps getting better and more refined as the hours tick up.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #21,539 of 89,187
A bit tardy with my Top3 IEMs of the moment, it's been a busy long-weekend catching up with family:

1 Z1R
2 Andro2020
3 A12t **

**I don't have this one yet, but since ordering it the other day, it's definitely captured my attention.

I have managed to get a little bit of time with the RS6, and I am mighty impressed with its performance in a package that sits well in my pocket; any DAP larger or heavier would not be of much use to me.

I think I commented when I first demoed the RS6 a few weeks ago how similar it sounds to my desktop gear, and this largely does hold up. The Z1R sounds absolutely fantastic in high-gain with the RS6, although the Jot2 delivers even deeper bass extension and an even larger more cavernous stage. The Andro2020 is a bit of a closer call between the RS6 and the Vali2+, but I find the tube amp further enhances the sparkle and ethereal sound of the Andro.

Comparing the DACs is an exercise in splitting hairs, Hiby's R2R implementation matches up very well with the Schiit multibit. I do find the BF2 is just a tad fuller, cleaner, or rounder sounding, but I've got to listen in pretty closely to hear it.

Bottom line for me is the RS6 is a huge win and a solid improvement for all of my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back