The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #21,542 of 90,220
I've been getting a lot of hours in listening to Traillii. So glad I got another opportunity to listen to it as it is far more impressive now that I can enjoy it in some peace and quiet. Funny how much of an impact background noise had on my first listening experience with it. Something we will need to take account of the next time we meet up. Probably would have been better sitting in our car rather than the noisy hotel lobby we ended up in.

I've swapped back to XE6 now and I am not sure I've ever experienced such a contrast in IEM experiences. I commented to @Scuba Devils earlier that Traillii is like sitting in front of nice speakers enjoying the finer details of the music. XE6 is like stepping into the club, feeling the bass pulsing through your feet with a big smile on your face :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #21,543 of 90,220
I've been getting a lot of hours in listening to Traillii. So glad I got another opportunity to listen to it as it is far more impressive now that I can enjoy it in some peace and quiet. Funny how much of an impact background noise had on my first listening experience with it. Something we will need to take account of the next time we meet up. Probably would have been better sitting in our car rather than the noisy hotel lobby we ended up in.

I've swapped back to XE6 now and I am not sure I've ever experienced such a contrast in IEM experiences. I commented to @Scuba Devils earlier that Traillii is like sitting in front of nice speakers enjoying the finer details of the music. XE6 is like stepping into the club, feeling the bass pulsing through your feet with a big smile on your face :)

Is EXT going to be a casualty for you too?

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #21,544 of 90,220
Glad you got to hear one, and moreso that you enjoyed it...it's a special player :)
Ja, enjoyed it immensely - it’s quite musical, similar to my 3MAX yet refined and more precise bass and “wonderous” mids, and large spatial soundstage. Excellent synergy with EXT and understand your admiration for the pairing.

It slots quite nicely in my DAP collection between N8ii (most portable of all my DAPs) and 3MAX/DX312 + C9/M17 (bricks and stack) with the following pairings:

- N8ii + EXT, Xe6, EVO
- M9 + all
- 3MAX + EVO, UM Indigo, MEST Mk2
- M17 + EXT, EVO, headphones
- DX312+C9 + all

Compared to my other DAPs, it has the most unique design in hand experience which I appreciate as a designer and engineer. Little nitpicks are power/volume knob (same issue I have with DX300 - but it’s not a deal breaker), minimal coverage leather case and value - it’s a $2K DAP not a $2799 - I’ll be on the lookout in the classifieds or see which DAC they’re planning for standard production (hoping they go ROHM)

If I was stranded on an island with power, I’d pick: N8ii, M9, 3MAX/M17

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #21,545 of 90,220
Is EXT going to be a casualty for you too?
It has already departed. A friend asked to buy it from me the other day so I let it go to him as it wasn't getting enough use. Sad to see it go, it actually was one of the best fitting IEMs I've ever owned but I'm sticking to my one in/ one out policy and when an IEM isn't getting enough use I hate seeing that.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #21,546 of 90,220
@antdroid since you're posting here now give us your top 3.

wow put me on the spot. :)

My ranking list has Odin, U12t and Viento-B as my top 3 apparently.
I could substitute in one of the Vision Ears (VE8, PHoNIX, Erlkonig) sets though, and perhaps Helios if it didnt have fitment issues. And while U12t is higher ranked, I'd probably rather own Nio personally.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #21,547 of 90,220

I could substitute in one of the Vision Ears (VE8, PHoNIX, Erlkonig) sets though, and perhaps Helios if it didnt have fitment issues. And while U12t is higher ranked, I'd probably rather own Nio personally.
Would you mind me asking your music preference? I ask due to Odin being your number one pick.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #21,548 of 90,220

I could substitute in one of the Vision Ears (VE8, , Erlkonig) sets though, and perhaps Helios if it didnt have fitment issues. And while U12t is higher ranked, I'd probably rather own Nio personally.

How about Odin, PHoNIX, Nio? The question was originally posed as "what IEMs own your heart at the moment?" and your rationale there suggested Nio would make a better choice than u12t. If you're fine with that I'll add it to the tally.

it’s a $2K DAP not a $2799

Interesting I consider it to be a steal for $2K. What is it lacking for you from a value perspective?

I’ll be on the lookout in the classifieds or see which DAC they’re planning for standard production (hoping they go ROHM)

It's hard to say. Their M6 Pro used a sabre chip when they ran out of AK, and the M8 used cirrus logic...not sure what the next M9s will be.

If I was stranded on an island with power, I’d pick: N8ii, M9, 3MAX/M17

Here's a cooler survey: You're stranded on a desert island with power, WIFI and all your current IEMs and if applicable SD cards-- what is your source?

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #21,549 of 90,220
The majority of music I am listening to nowadays is jazz trio music (piano/stand-up bass/drums), indie rock, progressive bluegrass, and a variety of 80s-early 2Ks rock and new wave music. My typical tuning preferences are pretty much neutral with small subbass boost.

I have my "preference target" in my graph tool (linked in signature), which my Viento CIEM matches well. (This is why I'm really interested in the Elysian Diva!)
graph (10).png

But, as this is just a target, you'll see the choices I made can vary from it.

graph (9).png

The Odin I actually own has more bass and less upper-mids for some reason than the original one I reviewed:

graph (11).png

Maybe I've become a basshead. :frowning2:

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #21,550 of 90,220
How about Odin, PHoNIX, Nio? The question was originally posed as "what IEMs own your heart at the moment?" and your rationale there suggested Nio would make a better choice than u12t. If you're fine with that I'll add it to the tally.

Sounds good to me.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #21,551 of 90,220
Odin Ascending...

Traillii x16
Jewel x12
XE6 x11
EXT x10
IER Z1R x10
Odin x9
Mason x8
Phonix x8
Fourte x6
a/u12t x4
EVO x4
Legend X x4
Indigo x4
Andromeda x3
Ne4 x3
X x3
Annihilator x2
Dorado 2020 x2
FA10000 x2
Infinity MkII x2
MEXT x2
Nio x2
Thummim x2

Legacy IEMs (those above that have been out since at least 2019):

IER Z1R
Mason
Fourte
a/u12t
Legend X
Andromeda
FA10000

a18s
Ace
Aionic 3
Anima
CRA
Eden
Erlkonig
E3000
EP05
EST50
IE900
Isa
Kaiser
Kr5
KSE-1200
MEST ii
Oriolus MKii
Orivetti
Ozar
Penon Legend
Phantom LE
Savant 2
SE11
Shingiku Kangen
Solaris
Starlight
Thunder
Timeless
Titan
Turii
VE8
Volt
Volume
Wraith

Top Brands Mentioned:

Vision Ears x 19 (4 different IEMs)
EE x 18 (5 different IEMs)
Oriolus x 18 (3 different IEMs)
Fir x 15 (3 different IEMs)
UM x 15 (??? different IEMs)
Aroma x 14 (3 different IEMs)

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #21,552 of 90,220
The majority of music I am listening to nowadays is jazz trio music (piano/stand-up bass/drums), indie rock, progressive bluegrass, and a variety of 80s-early 2Ks rock and new wave music. My typical tuning preferences are pretty much neutral with small subbass boost.

I have my "preference target" in my graph tool (linked in signature), which my Viento CIEM matches well. (This is why I'm really interested in the Elysian Diva!)
graph (10).png

But, as this is just a target, you'll see the choices I made can vary from it.

graph (9).png

The Odin I actually own has more bass and less upper-mids for some reason than the original one I reviewed:

graph (11).png

Maybe I've become a basshead. :frowning2:

Interesting...your Odin (viz a viz an Odin with more bass less upper mids) is what I think a lot of people were hoping the Evo would be.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #21,553 of 90,220
Interesting...your Odin (viz a viz an Odin with more bass less upper mids) is what I think a lot of people were hoping the Evo would be.
Yea its interesting... Not sure if its a silent revision or something got messed up. This Odin I have is like a nice blend of Odin and Legend X SE. I got the Odin about a year after it came out.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #21,555 of 90,220
The M9 continues to impress me. I’ve yet to hear the N8ii and I know you like yours a lot, but the M9 leaves me wanting for nothing at this point. And it only keeps getting better and more refined as the hours tick up.
Ja ja, the M9 is musically impressive and hear why it’s special among the Cooler - especially when there’s a musical synergy with your IEM/HP collection. I’m looking forward to adding the M9 to my growing DAP collection and joining the Cooler M9 crew, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back