THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 15, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #406 of 1,096
Iems and daps are going crazy in proliferation at every price point. I see hp markets picked up some, but not like dap/iem markets.

May 15, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #407 of 1,096
I hate you guys 🤣

Stepped back into headphones and bought a WA33. Time to figure out the hp to go with it...

I've been recc'd the 1266. If ya'll have other suggestions, please feel free.
Oh my goodness, my friend. With an amp like that the world of headphones is now your oyster. Shuck away my good man…shuck away. 🤩
Unbelievable buy. So now you have both the WA22 and 33. Be a very interesting comparison cause they are different sounding.
Big news! Big beans indeed! 🙌🏿

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #409 of 1,096
Iems and daps are going crazy in proliferation at every price point. I see hp markets picked up some, but not like dap/iem markets.
and that's why I stayed with headphones; the IEM market moves at lightspeed

May 15, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #410 of 1,096
May 15, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #411 of 1,096
I hate you guys 🤣

Stepped back into headphones and bought a WA33. Time to figure out the hp to go with it...

I've been recc'd the 1266. If ya'll have other suggestions, please feel free.
I really like the Arya Stealth, but as long as the kids aren't planning to go to college, there's the Dan Clark Stealth :)

May 15, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #412 of 1,096
A late night listening session with the Caldera Closed and Aegis amp. A wonderful way to unwind...

1715830503672.png

Ray Charles and Natalie Cole's raspy and smooth voices, respectively, are rendered beautifully. These headaphones love mids. A touch of damping makes the crisp percussive notes linger in the air just enough for a sweet roundness, with a subtle reverb that lends a sense of spaciousness.

This is as soothing as a wind down can be 🙏

1715830743115.png

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #414 of 1,096
Thanks for the update. I was interested in your take as you also own the WA33. I have heard the Viva a few times now and I use Viva on my 2-channel system. Thanks for your update.
No problem! I'm not trying to hate on the wa33 as it is a great amp. Plenty of power and clarity, but to my ears I prefer a bit warmer sound. Some would find it endgame for sure.

May 16, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #415 of 1,096
I posted this in the zmf thread, but figured it would be a great watercooler topic as well.

So I had a thought tonight and I'd love to get others opinions on this as well.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a "ZMF Signature Series". The basic idea would be:

1. Extremely rare and valuable woods. Usually with only a few being available instead of hundreds. Like less than 3-5 for each wood type.
2. Resin or stabilized possibilities?
3. Packed with all extra bells and whistles such as all suede, bb straps, bundled with matching resin or stabilized saliere stands, etc. Raw or polished Titanium/magnesium chassis, etc. Rare leather combinations, exotic materials (alligator /ostrich) or textured leathers. (I have no idea, just thinking out loud.)
4. Signed by all involved zmf craftsman on inside pad mount surface.
5. Reserved for zmf owners who already have more than one or two sets. Kind of like how high end Ferrari cars work, where they reach out to you when they are releasing a limited production run. Or a right of refusal agreement with their customers?
6. Updated pricing on any of these to make it worth ZMF's time to do all this.
7. Also, maybe a personalized laser cut grille design for open models? Probably a bit of a reach but it never hurts to ask! 😊

Any thoughts on this anyone? Also, what would make it cooler?

I am in no way affiliated with ZMF headphones, it was just an idea I had to create some truly wild sets that added an extra layer of ownership to the experience.

If it's a dumb idea, let me know that too. 😂 I can take it.

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #416 of 1,096
can I ask why this thread and the iem alternative are called watercooler?

“Watercooler” is colloquial expression for a place where people gather to shoot the breeze and banter. @HiFiHawaii808 coined it originally. It’s a reference to the more free-wheeling style of communication on the threads and how any interesting thing the community fancies is fair game for discussion.

May 16, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #417 of 1,096
I posted this in the zmf thread, but figured it would be a great watercooler topic as well.

I was wondering if there would be any interest in a "ZMF Signature Series". The basic idea would be:

1. Extremely rare and valuable woods. Usually with only a few being available instead of hundreds. Like less than 3-5 for each wood type.
3. Packed with all extra bells and whistles such as all suede, bb straps, bundled with matching resin or stabilized saliere stands, etc. Raw or polished Titanium/magnesium chassis, etc. Rare leather combinations, exotic materials (alligator /ostrich) or textured leathers. (I have no idea, just thinking out loud.)
5. Reserved for zmf owners who already have more than one or two sets. Kind of like how high end Ferrari cars work, where they reach out to you when they are releasing a limited production run. Or a right of refusal agreement with their customers?
7. Also, maybe a personalized laser cut grille design for open models? Probably a bit of a reach but it never hurts to ask! 😊

I am in no way affiliated with ZMF headphones, it was just an idea I had to create some truly wild sets that added an extra layer of ownership to the experience.

i honestly think a headphone + salire in the same wood/ stabilised colour scheme would be sick; maybe a add on for a small shelf to hold pads, or a small tray for cables/adapters. imo that is more feasible and more attainable for both the manufacturer (to do) and customer (to pay for)

May 16, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #418 of 1,096

I like the idea in some ways, not in others.

I like the personalization aspects (and think it’s fair to compensate fairly for them).

Where I struggle is the “Ferrari model” where access becomes gate-kept rather than customer-centric and more democratic.

The costs of our hobby are prohibitive enough as-is; creating artificial “elite-level” or “VIP perks” that are formalized could become a glass ceiling of sorts.

Granted, I’m biased- growing up in a country where equality is paramount and a core value (Norway)- and I currently live in an exceptionally wealthy area in the U.S.

Around here, people sometimes use their wealth to exclude others rather assertively… so I get a little “spicy” on topics like this. 😂

May 16, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #419 of 1,096
i honestly think a headphone + salire in the same wood/ stabilised colour scheme would be sick; maybe a add on for a small shelf to hold pads, or a small tray for cables/adapters. imo that is more feasible and more attainable for both the manufacturer (to do) and customer (to pay for)
It's be interesting to see how much more it would truly be. I imagine they already have all the cnc data for the current pieces, you'd just need to switch the materials and cutting tools. I honestly don't think it would be dramatically more expensive, but I know nothing about this 😂

My thought being a current bb strap is like what, $90-100. Since people are already buying a $3000 headphone or more, would it really be a stretch to have an exotic option for another $100 or $200? Or a material upgrade to titianum for $300-400? Or a further polished upgrade for another $200?

May 16, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #420 of 1,096
I like the idea in some ways, not in others.

I like the personalization aspects (and think it’s fair to compensate fairly for them).

Where I struggle is the “Ferrari model” where access becomes gate-kept rather than customer-centric and more democratic.

The costs of our hobby are prohibitive enough as-is; creating artificial “elite-level” or “VIP perks” that are formalized could become a glass ceiling of sorts.

Granted, I’m biased- growing up in a country where equality is paramount and a core value (Norway)- and I currently live in an exceptionally wealthy area in the U.S.

Around here, people sometimes use their wealth to exclude others rather assertively… so I get a little “spicy” on topics like this. 😂
Would it really be that bad tho? Zmf already has wonderful custom sets that are expensive for some, and not for others. It would just be a different tier for returning customers. You don't hear hd650 owners whining because current zmf prices are too high. Or Toyota owners complaining about not having a Porsche.

There are also so many headphone models out that cost more than the most expensive ZMF headphone.

I'm not saying I'm right, I just think it's all subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back