The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #3,466 of 3,548
Apr 21, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #3,467 of 3,548
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #3,468 of 3,548
Sweet! The Brimar CV455s are wonderful. Enjoy! They should showcase classic British tube sound with the Echo. 👍👍

Perhaps they do. But I would not know what classic British tube sound is. :laughing: In any case they do sound very good. I have been using the ZMF Bokeh with my Echo Mk2.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #3,469 of 3,548
Hmmm- “AudioDuck, Esquire” or “AudioDuck, Attorney-At-Law”. It does have a nice ring to it.

What do you say, @AnyDave - perhaps we should hang up a proverbial shingle?

(Image courtesy of CoPilot/Dall-E. No idea what the numbers are supposed to mean- they aren’t tube designators, sadly)

IMG_3517.jpeg
"Audio Law" (brilliant!)

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #3,470 of 3,548
I’m a huge fan of the Brimar CV455,
me, too ... @jonathan c first turned me onto those tubes, which make quite a difference in both of my tube amps (w/adapters in the Woo WA3; no need for adapters in the Icon Audio HP8).

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #3,471 of 3,548
Apr 21, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #3,472 of 3,548
Speaking of tubes, my Western Electric 396As arrived from vacuumtubes.net. They were a pleasure to deal with. They’re compatible with the 6922/6DJ8 type with adapters.

I only have two adapters right now (waiting on another 8 to arrive) so I’m just using two of them in the preamp slots of my Folkvangr with Philips Heerlen 7062s (also on different adapters) as the power tubes.

It’s a pretty magical sound with my Auteur right now. I’m going to try running another 8 Western Electric 396A as power tubes when my adapters arrive.

How do y’all keep tubes organized when you have multiple sets? Like, do you have a system for making sure a particular tube goes back into a particular box with particular tube data printed on it when you’re switching sets in and out?

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #3,473 of 3,548
Perhaps they do. But I would not know what classic British tube sound is. :laughing: In any case they do sound very good. I have been using the ZMF Bokeh with my Echo Mk2.
That must be a lovely amp/headphone combo- congrats!

By “classic British tube sound” I mean:
- slightly warm, velvety midrange
- solid bass, likely some emphasis on the mid-bass
- no treble emphasis- perhaps a little rolled-off, but not “veiled” per se- but definitely not sparkling up top
- possible trade-off of airiness and space to gain more midrange body

That’s how I define it- though others’ opinions may vary. Brimar and Mullard tubes tend to gravitate toward that sound profile.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #3,474 of 3,548
"Audio Law" (brilliant!)
Not to be confused with our office neighbors, “Moore & Murphy”.

Their slogan is “when you want things to grow fast and fail miserably”.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #3,475 of 3,548
That must be a lovely amp/headphone combo- congrats!

By “classic British tube sound” I mean:
- slightly warm, velvety midrange
- solid bass, likely some emphasis on the mid-bass
- no treble emphasis- perhaps a little rolled-off, but not “veiled” per se- but definitely not sparkling up top
- possible trade-off of airiness and space to gain more midrange body

That’s how I define it- though others’ opinions may vary. Brimar and Mullard tubes tend to gravitate toward that sound profile.

Okay cool thanks. I guess I'm just trying to find the most "analog" sound. Whatever that really means. Perhaps "natural sound" would be a better phrase to use. For example right now I'm listening to Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz. Does it sound "natural"? To me it certainly sounds very good.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #3,476 of 3,548
"Audio Law" (brilliant!)
I hear the Audio Law bar exam is brutal, though. You have to correctly identify all the well known interconnects under blind testing conditions.

Apr 21, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #3,477 of 3,548
Reminded me of this law firm. I hope my pups are not aware of this since I am guilty of splitting their snacks...:worried:

c7se8r4fw0jc1.jpg

As Dave and Duck, which would be a great name for a law firm, mentioned, Brent has a pretty solid list of legit tubes. That being said, his prices are quite a bit higher than what you can find on eBay. Essentially, you're paying not only for the tube, but also your own peace of mind, knowing that the tube you wanted is the tube you will receive from Brent and other reputable online tube dealers.

Hmmm- “AudioDuck, Esquire” or “AudioDuck, Attorney-At-Law”. It does have a nice ring to it.

What do you say, @AnyDave - perhaps we should hang up a proverbial shingle?

(Image courtesy of CoPilot/Dall-E. No idea what the numbers are supposed to mean- they aren’t tube designators, sadly)

IMG_3517.jpeg

OK, I'm in. I'd better start growing my beard out, though.

"Audio Law" (brilliant!)

Not to be confused with our office neighbors, “Moore & Murphy”.

Their slogan is “when you want things to grow fast and fail miserably”.

Apr 21, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #3,478 of 3,548
How do y’all keep tubes organized when you have multiple sets? Like, do you have a system for making sure a particular tube goes back into a particular box with particular tube data printed on it when you’re switching sets in and out?
I picked up some portable and stackable drawers, keeping my tubes separated by type in different drawers, then rubber band the pairs together.

20240421_180755.jpg

20240421_180827.jpg

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #3,479 of 3,548
Speaking of tubes, my Western Electric 396As arrived from vacuumtubes.net. They were a pleasure to deal with. They’re compatible with the 6922/6DJ8 type with adapters.

I only have two adapters right now (waiting on another 8 to arrive) so I’m just using two of them in the preamp slots of my Folkvangr with Philips Heerlen 7062s (also on different adapters) as the power tubes.

It’s a pretty magical sound with my Auteur right now. I’m going to try running another 8 Western Electric 396A as power tubes when my adapters arrive.

Getting a label maker helps. And if you have a tube tester, you can label the test results on the box. Most of my tubes are in a storage unit nowadays in plastic bins, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on tube organization :beyersmile:

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #3,480 of 3,548
Getting a label maker helps. And if you have a tube tester, you can label the test results on the box. Most of my tubes are in a storage unit nowadays in plastic bins, so I'm probably not the best person to give advice on tube organization :beyersmile:

+1. I have a Brother label maker for this, which helps a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back